2 months ago and im only holding down frets with my thumb on my left hand!

i need some tips so i can get better at using all my fingers!
dont flame me!
im a harmless noob!
Dont worry everyone was getting started. Just try to play some accords just start with easy ones like E,C,A,Em, etc good luck: )
Quote by Sk8rFreak
Dont worry everyone was getting started. Just try to play some accords just start with easy ones like E,C,A,Em, etc good luck: )

erm. um..
'
what are accords and E C A Em?
yeah, and dont use your tumb, unless your doing a few chords that require reachovers. it sounds like you just need to aork on finger strenght, which will come with practice.
Edit:
and perhaps you should invest in some begginers guitar books. Or better yet, guitar lessons.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Tune to drop D and cut your left hand off (assuming your right handed), then use your nub on your left arm to play power chords.
WEll euhmm Do you know how tabs work?? If u do here is link with a lot of accords u could use just to start with. http://chordfind.com/ there: )
U have to put ur fingers in the same positiom just like the black dots.

Got it?:P
just keep practiving, theyll get stronger eventually, you could also get one of those gripmaster things, and use that to exercise your fingers more

Last.fm
pfft books...
WERE ON THE EFFIN INTERNET HERE DUDE!!!
theres some great beginner lessons at about.com
I cant remember exactly where they are but just search "guitar about.com" in google and and it will probably be the first one!

Heres the site:
http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200a.htm

start at that one.
Last edited by _3Lm0_ at Sep 28, 2006,
Quote by Sk8rFreak
WEll euhmm Do you know how tabs work?? If u do here is link with a lot of accords u could use just to start with. http://chordfind.com/ there: )
U have to put ur fingers in the same positiom just like the black dots.

Got it?:P

eww that hurts wtf
its all, wierd .
yeah, and itll feel like that untill you practice and get used to it, its part of learning how to play/

Last.fm
kittycatmaster I know it hurts:P that what everyone had.. hehehe its all part of the playing guitar but if u start playing with elec guitar its not gunna hurt that much
classical guitar it the best to start with
as it has nylon strings (dont hurt as much)
I found my guitar on the attic and had no idea what to do with so at the very first months (I only practised about half an hour a week! Please dont flame me!) I just tried to get familiar with strumming the strings a bit, try get a clean tone just with your right hand, you know? and after that I only played on the first string (the high pitched e-string), I tried to get familiar with pressing the frets and all, and the first string is the easiest to reach so thats best way. I learned the Smoke on the Water riff, that was very usefull. After feeling really familiar with that I tried accords, I learned songs like good riddance by Green Day (Just the accords no finger picking)

If you try that and just have some fun with the guitar you'll be fine cause after those getting familiar with the guitar things you'll pick up more difficult songs faster and faster

Oh I started on a steel-string acoustic by the way,
Good luck
Quote by i_love_jam
classical guitar it the best to start with
as it has nylon strings (dont hurt as much)

pfft also has higher action not very much great but is alright i guess i mean i started on a classical and still play them nowadays
just remember everytime you pick up the guitar even for a few minutes you are programming your brain and fingers with the info it needs even though you dont notice it, so the only answer to your question is plenty of practice. the problem with your thumb will go away once you learn the basic coordination of your hands, that will all come naturally after a while.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Accords?

Chords.

Maybe he confused with "Acordes" which is chords in spanish. Or maybe i'm wrong...
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
meh nothing wrong with using the thumb over neck technique i use it sometimes rarely but occasionally i use it and there isnt any problem with doing it
Quote by timi_hendrix
Accords?

Chords.

Sorry, I'm a sleepyhead.. Akkoord is the dutch name for chord and somewhere on the internet I just saw the word accord on an english site (It is an english word right?) Well anywho... that's why