how do you get that 'screeching' sound that you hear in some songs, you see it a lot when you watch the guitarists on youtube. it sounds like they are playing a note at the 24th (or near there...) fret, but they are often holding their guitar right up the other end.

thanks in advance
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
um... is a pinch harmonic where u like put your finger at the 7th or 12th fret (and one higher but i cant remember which one) and it plays an octave higher? if so, then no

edit: its in lots of normal rock songs too... if anyone has ever seen the song 'cross' by oziel zinho on youtube you can see that it looks like he just holds a Cadd9 chord and bends the B string twice at the 3rd fret, but the noise he gets after is much higher than what he is playing... and another thing, he doesnt even need to hold the guitar but the sound is still playing... it is like when you hold your finger lightly over any string at the 12th fret and it makes a noise an octave higher than the note if it was played at the 12th fret. the only difference is that he does it at the 3rd fret, and i dont know about yours, but it doesnt work on mine.

another edit: and he does it a few times during the song, so its something that is quick to do, and easy because he doesnt waste any time at all with it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkx9_lByxrg thats a link if you wana see what i mean, he does it at the beginning before he turns on the drums, and again right before he goes into the 'funky' part of the song, before he bends his first notes for the first time, and a few other times, but from those 2 times you will know what i mean
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Last edited by instagata0 at Sep 28, 2006,
Place your thumb very close to the edge of the pick so only a little of the pick is sticking out. Then hit the string with the pick and imediately touch the string lightly with the flesh of your thumb. It takes a little practice, but once you get you will be able to do it all over the fret board.