Which do you prefer for a strat. Is there much sound difference between the two. I was always under the impression that maple was more "twangy" and rosewood was more "dark".
Maple = Brighter
Rosewood = darker

If you need a trebly sound, definately go for Maple. if you're rocking out with your **** out, go for rosewood or any other dark wood. not that maple can't be dark sounding and rosewood can't be trebly without EQ'ing
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Not sure if it makes that much of a difference. I own a strat both maple and rosewood and i say i love the 'feel' and look of maple better but as for them sounding different i say it has little impact on sound especially when you have pick ups, amps and different settings. Its all about looks and comfort i reckon.

And my Maple strat doesnt sound twangy.
- Satch is awsome -
Regarding the "sound of maple v. rosewood"
Not true, it has little impact on the actual tone and sound achieveble. For metal, Paul Gilbert for one uses Maple fingerboards. David Gilmour also often uses them.

It's a personal preference in terms of feel to me - I find that the rosewood is softer and allows great precision whereas the maple fingerboards feel uncomfortable.
you'll only hear the difference if u play it acousticly (and even then its a tiny difference). You always hear people saying how deep and rich les pauls sound, and the whole top of it is maple!
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
I have rosewood on one of my strats and maple on the other. Honestly, I prefer the rosewood by far, it feels a lot nicer to play. The laquered maple neck feels cold like metal but the rosewood is warm a comfortable
It's personal preference, I love maple necks though.

And the sound difference isn't very noticable.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Its all prefrence. I've got two rosewood fretboard guitars and one maple. Maple seems more durable than rosewood to me. Is that true?
Sent from my iPad.
hmmm i reckon its the other way around that rosewood is more durable then maple becaese the lacquer on my maple fretboard is starting to rub away compared to my rosewood fretboard just gotta give a good cleaning with lemon oil and your good but the best imo is Ebony its really hard to show wear
I like the feel of maples, myself. Try 'em both out and see what you like, that's the best advice anyone can give you.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by '
InYourHonour[']Not sure if it makes that much of a difference. I own a strat both maple and rosewood and i say i love the 'feel' and look of maple better but as for them sounding different i say it has little impact on sound especially when you have pick ups, amps and different settings. Its all about looks and comfort i reckon.

And my Maple strat doesnt sound twangy.

ive never owned a maple neck which bugs me cos i like the feel and the look a lot more, but having said that if im paying good money i just feel safer with the rosewood for some reason.
I don't like the maple neck on a 72 custom tele (nasty laquer all over it) but i do like them with satin finishes.

Rosewood IMO looks alot nicer and feels better when i play with it.

You'll just have to find and play lots and see.

Ash
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH