Hey,

I've been playing guitar for about nine months now on and off, minus 3 months spent in the forest as a treeplanter where I thought I would end up playing alot but didn't end up playing once.

Anyways, I started playing because I wanted to learn to play "Classical Gas", which I heard at a friends house I ended up finishing it using a tab from this site, after that I just played around with finger picking exercises and learned little parts of little songs but now I'm sort've in a rut and don't know how to get out of it.

I really do like playing guitar and want to stick with it, due to the way I ended up learning to play I'm pretty good with fingerpicking what I need to learn is musical theory, so I can just pick along with friends while they are strumming or playing something. Does anyone know of any great methods for memorizing all the notes on the fretboard as well as any tips on developing my ability to just jump along and pick somethign subtle while people are playing.

Also, if there is anything I haven't asked please feel free to spill your guts on any millions of exercises or techniques I should be developing, and if I haven't made it quite clear all I really want to be able to do is pick along with people's songs. I have good rhythm for strumming and everything I'm just sort've obsessed with finger picking and I think it can add a nice flavor to almost any campfire tune

Ok take care,
Thanks

Trev
well, at least your honest, but guitars don't come with cheat sheets, it takes work to learn it...
Browse the web for excersizes in scales and modes and learn the circle of 5ths and everything else.
Learning the fretboard comes from playing the fretboard. Your fingers will memorise it better than your brain ever will.
~ J6hn
Quote by demonhunter2
well, at least your honest, but guitars don't come with cheat sheets, it takes work to learn it...

You forgot to say anything of worth.
i know its obvious but until u learn that theory stuff which i dont no eitha i think its nonsense the theory of music i get lyk notes on the fretboard but y learn anymore into it you myt aswell not play guitar u myt aswell sit ther look at it tell me wat happens wen i pik this bit then P*** off home.
anyway thats my advice
yeksmesh
and forgot 2 type was i was actually gonna say durin all that i was gonna say jus pick ova the chords 4 now
and forgot 2 type was i was actually gonna say durin all that i was gonna say jus pick ova the chords 4 now jus from the chord shape and pik randomly
Does anyone know of any great methods for memorizing all the notes on the fretboard
Theres a program called FRETBOARD WARRIOR around for that, give it a google.
honestly.......just dont rush it, if you have the money take lessons, trust me thats what i have been doing and i am learning EXACTLY what you want to learn so just save up some dough and do that, if not just google guitar exercises and get used to what sounds what frets make, just play around and get a feel for the guitar... once you can under stand what fret and string make what sound you can really enjoy guitar...
if you are associating with people who do know what their doing, just ask them for advice, tips, heck just sit in and listen to them play and observe how they do it. that is, however, only if you can trust that they don't have any deplorable habits they could pass on to you or are full of erroneous information. i think being around musicians of a higher caliber than oneself is an invaluable and underappreciated learning experience. i never took lessons, i just paid attention to people i knew were better than me, and i still do, and i keep learning everyday. that's just my two cents on a topic i feel strongly about, but if you want to find a real method it shouldn't be very difficult, just go into a music store (which can be intimidating, i know) but they're willing to help you find the method that's right for you.

good luck and i hope it works out for you.
notes work like this, A, a#, B, C, c#, D, d#, E, F, f#, G, g#
only semitones between B C and E F = tone-tone-tone-semitone-tone-tone-semitone... like a piano, just takes time to memorize which notes are where, work from major chords which is noted by the lowest string in that chord BTY, ie Cmaj's lowest note is C

remember any open note on the fretboard has the same note on the twelfth fret of that string, and two strings down and two semitones over, this higher note is one octave higher, and the fifth fret of any string (save open B) is the same note as the open string below it... enjoy fretboards for dummies...
Last edited by -=Led_Hed=- at Sep 30, 2006,