I have been playing for 9 months now, and have focussed mainly on scales and note names etc. I have mastered the basic A-G chords, in Major and Minor,and of course power chords but what chords should I start now? I think it's time I went into some more chords. What would you recommend me, it would be really helpful to me cheers.
Oh BTW I have kinda "accidently" found what sounds equivilent to a "G",and also found what sounds like a "D" further up the fretboard, but that's all.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Do you know Barre Chord shapes?
[Ibanez SZ320MH
BOSS SD-1, BOSS CE-5, BOSS CS-3, Crybaby Wah
Laney LC30

Quote by WantToLearn
i was biking with my guitar and it fell in a puddle of mud, i was like OH MAN and i whent home immediately and put it in a bucket of water
Sounds like your off to a good start man, its always exciting to see new players learning and experiencing things for the first time..

try the major 7th, minor 7th, and dominant 7th chords. They are real easy to play, they hold pretty much like your normal chords you already know, but with the added 7th for that extra little tone.. Great for finger picking, as well as normal strumming, and they sound really pretty.. Plus since they arent all that much different from what you already know, its an easy and quick way to double up your asenal of chords, giving you alot for diversity in your playing...

examples:

C7:
e|------------|
b|-----1-----|
g|-----3-----|
d|-----2-----|
a|-----3-----|
e|------------|

D7:
e|-----2-----|
b|-----1-----|
g|-----2-----|
d|-----------|
a|-----------|
e|-----------|

E7:
e|-----------|
b|-----------|
g|-----------|
d|-----1-----|
a|-----------|
e|-----2-----|

G7:
e|-----1-----|
b|----(3)----| <---- optional.
g|-----------|
d|-----------|
a|-----2-----|
e|-----3-----|

A7:
e|-----------|
b|-----2-----|
g|-----------|
d|-----2-----|
a|-----------|
e|-----------|

Very Blues sounding chords, alot of fun to experiment with..

Have fun with it.
Last edited by Bones420 at Sep 28, 2006,
go to walmart and buy a cord chart poster and then go to a music shop and get a book of scales then take the advice of john pettrucci and learn everything you know in all keys. bottom line learn all of them
If i say im lying am i telling the truth?
Shawn Lane Rest In Peace!
Rip Dimbag
and sadly Rip Roger "Syd" Barrett gone but not forgotten
and more so recently Brad Delp
Quote by last_biscuit
A dyslexic man walks into a bra
Quote by Cannaton
Do you know Barre Chord shapes?

^A few eg like your F,moved up. Hard to explain, but you know when you barre your index finger,use middle finger on g string,andpinky,and ring fingers on other notes?Sorry if you lost me, but yeah a few. Thanks I'll look into some!
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

Quote by Bones420
Sounds like your off to a good start man, its always exciting to see new players learning and experiencing things for the first time..

try the major 7th, minor 7th, and dominant 7th chords. They are real easy to play, they hold pretty much like your normal chords you already know, but with the added 7th for that extra little tone.. Great for finger picking, as well as normal strumming, and they sound really pretty.. Plus since they arent all that much different from what you already know, its an easy and quick way to double up your asenal of chords, giving you alot for diversity in your playing...

Have fun with it.

Thanks I will. So Dominant 7ths,major 7ths and minor 7ths. Any more suggestions.
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

All of the 7th chords, as has been suggested, and also all of the variations of standard open chords like Cadd9, Asus2, Em7 in open position. Learning chords like those will seriously expand your songwriting skills.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
i edited my post for you and tabbed out the 7th chords so you dont have to look them up, take those and get good and playing them (shouldent be hard) then experiment by adding in extra notes to them to see what kind of sounds you can come up with..

Experimentation is key..
i like the movable shapes like the open d chord moved up the neck sounds really cool "rush" like you can do it with any pen chord some dont sound too good though
ibanez rocks
Quote by Bones420
i edited my post for you and tabbed out the 7th chords so you dont have to look them up, take those and get good and playing them (shouldent be hard) then experiment by adding in extra notes to them to see what kind of sounds you can come up with..

Experimentation is key..

^Thanks that was alot of help. Appreciated!
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah