Anyone had any experience with either (but preferebly BOTH) of these acoustic guitars? They are the same price and I am torn between the two as I have heard very good things about both. My only problem is that I won't get a chance to play either of them, it's just a one-step order and hope for the best.

Having said that, I dont *have* to get either.... any other acoustic suggestions within the £300 price range are very welcomed, whilst this is my first acoustic, I want it to last me a long long time.

In looking over the two in my newly arrived MF catalog, one thing jumps out at me. It say the Dove has a solid top while the EJ-200 has "Select spruce". Generally if they don't SAY solid, it's laminate. And IMO it's always better to go w/solid.
BTW, MF has the Hummingbird for the same price also. W/the basic difference between it and the Dove being Mahogany vs. Maple body. To each his own but I'd be inclined to go w/the mahogany.
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Sep 28, 2006,
Well i posted a bulletin about two days ago asking about the dove and hummingbird by epi and almost everyone said its not worth it so I dont know but from what people told me its no good. LOOK AT ALVAREZ. lol and listen to^ about the solid instead of select spruce. IF ITS NOT SOLID ITS NOT GOOD. It might sound good at first but the tone gets worse and worse the longer you play it. while solid sounds better and better the more you play it.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
I don't recall anyone saying these guitars were no good. At least I didn't say that.
But you indicated that you wanted a certain type of tone that your guitar hero has. He plays a Taylor which tend to have very brite tone. Whereas the Gibson'ish Epiphones have deeper tones. We only suggested that you might PREFER a briter toned guitar.
I own 3 Epiphones and woudn't if I thought they were no good.
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
get yourself a Fender Dg22ce or Dg20ce for well under £300 as they are last seasons model. They were rated 9/10 in both performance and value by What guitar magazine when it was still up and running.the cutaway looks fantastic and both have a great unplugged tone. the electronics will do for what you are at just now but these guitars will last you. i had mine for 2 years and just upgraded now. ( see other thread)
Whilst the 22CE is kind of cute in blue, I dont really like those Fender acoustics... theyre just really generic looking (not that its a bad thing but it seems really apparent with those), and a bit too much like Teles, eww.. thanks for suggestion though.

As for the Dove VS EJ200.... Dove looks a bit... "easier" to play? Then again everyone at uni has said I'd suit the black EJ200 much better than a natural coloured acoustic.. shame the Dove only comes in the one colour! I'll check out "alverez", but anyone got any more suggestions...?
Takamine and the ovation celeberty. I play the ovation its 300$ us and it sounds really nice.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
-1.14 Everly Star Picks
I've played a few EJ-200's and one Dove and to be honest the first thoughts were 'tinny horrible rattletrap'. Though one EJ-200 did sound passable, but i've played about 5-6 different ones. Unfortunately with Epiphones they suck you in by looking like Gibsons, but Gibsons they aint, not even close. Personally I'd have a look at Washburns or Tanglewoods, they tend to make the better acoustics in the sub 400 range. Do keep in mind that all guitars are not created equal, even Martin and Gibson are known to produce a total dud from time to time. So I'd really try to get around and play before you buy.
Quote by Battery Chicken
I've played a few EJ-200's and one Dove and to be honest the first thoughts were 'tinny horrible rattletrap'. Though one EJ-200 did sound passable, but i've played about 5-6 different ones. Unfortunately with Epiphones they suck you in by looking like Gibsons, but Gibsons they aint, not even close. Personally I'd have a look at Washburns or Tanglewoods, they tend to make the better acoustics in the sub 400 range. Do keep in mind that all guitars are not created equal, even Martin and Gibson are known to produce a total dud from time to time. So I'd really try to get around and play before you buy.

Great advice. Thanks a lot, and very true indeed. I'm going to check out a few in some gutiar shops and hopefully rethink my decision. I'll also look into Washburn/Tanglewood, as well as Ovation and Takamine. Thanks guys