Do multi-fx pedals like the Boss ME-50 sound better through a tube amp or SS amp?
Tube.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

tube of course.
Gear:
Gibson les paul custom (black beauty)
Pickups: Emg 81/85 (zakk wylde set)
Bogner Ubershall
Just using a straight FX pedal sounds better to me through a tube amp than solid-state (let's say distortion or chorus or delay or whatever)... however, I have a hard time discerning between a MODELLING amp versus the real tones they're trying to model (my guitar teacher and I both keep our POD XT set to the Fender Blackface setting, and neither of us can here any difference from his real Blackface, for example).
If you're using the amp models, SS. But if you're using it through the FX loop for chorus etc, tube.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^Actually, modelling would probably sound better through tube. I've never tried modeling through a tube amp, but I'd imagine it'd be better. You're probably confusing SS with FRFR amps.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

^Yeah, but modeling through a tube preamp and power amp will probably give you better results than modeling through a solid state preamp and power amp.
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

I all depends on the amp and the point of reference. You really can't make any generalizations due to the vast amounts of different gear on the market right now. A good modeler through a pair of Mackie powered speakers sounds increadible. Like many realities in this guitar world thing, it depends on the gear and the ear that listens to it.
So, if I were to pair a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a Boss-ME50, would that be a good combo that would give me all the functionality of a modelling-SS amp like a Roland Cube 60, but sound a whole lot better?
Quote by globetro
So, if I were to pair a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a Boss-ME50, would that be a good combo that would give me all the functionality of a modelling-SS amp like a Roland Cube 60, but sound a whole lot better?

The ME-50 is not a modeler though, but it's got the basic effects from the Boss GT-8, which I have. I pump my GT-8 through a hot rod deluxe and it sounds great. You're not going to have any preamp modeling with the ME-50 though, but the pairing of the hot rod with the ME will sound great.
Quote by TwoString
The ME-50 is not a modeler though, but it's got the basic effects from the Boss GT-8, which I have. I pump my GT-8 through a hot rod deluxe and it sounds great. You're not going to have any preamp modeling with the ME-50 though, but the pairing of the hot rod with the ME will sound great.

I see, I guess I don't totally understand the difference between fx and amp modelling. I mean, on a technical level, I think I do, but I'm not sure why amp modelling isn't just considered another "effect"?

So I guess I'm left wondering if just a ME-50 with Hot Rod combo would be enough to get all types of sounds from classic rock to alternative to punk to metal, or do you need some sort of amp modelling to achieve all those sounds?
Quote by TwoString
^ - meh, you don't really need anything special for that, the ME-50 overdrive module and the hot rod channels should fit the bill just fine.

Oh ok, so then what's the point of amp modelling?