I heard that taking the backplate off a strat makes a difference in tone. Supposedly a noticable one. Is it me or does this sound like a load of crap?
I took the input jack out of my Ibanez and it sounded TOTALLY different, to me. I don't think it makes a difference plugged up (it could) but acoustically, it's louder and warmer
Originally posted by VoodooChild15
If your girlfriend's having sex at 13, she's a dirty dirty whore. And if you're having sex at 14, you're a dirty dirty...pimp.

Looking for a drummer in the Detroit, MI area
PM if interested!

MySpace
its bull****, it just makes it easier to change strings and springs.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
grock is talking about his input jack. . . WTF????
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Bull****. A backplate will make no difference ehatsoever.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I did it too my squier, because i needed it for another guitar, nd i noticed no difference in tone what so ever. But of course, a squier is a squier no matter what you do...
I dont really think it makes a difference. Unless you have the best hearing known to mankind. I mean I'm sure it does a little for it acousticly but I dont think its gonna make a difference in the bigger picture. Just wanted to hear some opinions.
ok, technically it does make a difference, but good luck actually being able to hear it, i mean the only difference you will hear is in your head, its psycological, like a placebo, i guess if thats the only thing hindering your tone you could take it off but really its total bull, nobody can tell the difference.
^ Agreed. Any changes in the overall construction/mass will have "some" effect on tone but I highly doubt anyone could actually tell the difference.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Wouldn't removing it mean the wood is more flexible so you could get more sustain I guess. Like sticking loads of stickers to a guitar hurts the tone and sustain, removing tension should help.
^umm no, but you go ahead and think that, the difference is so small that its basicly not there, putting you hands on the guitar does more to dampen the sustain.
It makes a difference if you wear a large belt buckle.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by amorebelladonna
^ Yea, or If your playing naked and your penis gets in the way...

Umm... the springs and claw would hurt a lot more.

try wearing your guitar higher or lower, much lower in some cases...
I take it off because I think it looks kinda lame when it's on there. Y'know, 'coz of all the times I sit and stare at the back of my guitar.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
It's my job to notice small differances in tone and I feel like I am getting pretty good at it. I can not hear a differance in tone.
Not taking any online orders.
there is no difference in tone, its just a tad bit louder, acoustically just because the soundwave sthat come out of that cavity just go straight out to your body. but once plugged up theres absolutely no difference
Can i do that with a guitar with humbuckers?
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
If it has a tremolo cavity in the back, yes. If it doesn't no. But if you don't have a trem cavity and you cut a chunk out of your guitar, there will be a difference in tone.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
this thread is rediculous there are way more important parts on a guitar to do with tone then a plastic cover. take it off, keep it on. if you think it sounds better then do it, you dotn need to ask us. cuz you'll never get a proper answer due to the minute differences
unless its an acoustic is wont make a diffrence. this is because an electric is based on electronics. no mattr if u have a back plate or noit the tone willl not change.
Quote by dan_wujek
unless its an acoustic is wont make a diffrence. this is because an electric is based on electronics. no mattr if u have a back plate or noit the tone willl not change.

If you think that just because electrics are electric, then every other part of the guitar doesn't matter except the electronics, you're a bit naive.

EDIT: Though it's not a noticeable difference at all.
Quote by dan_wujek

Make sure u actually know what ur talking about, when u post up. cuz it does make a difference to your tone. It's just so damn miniscule u can't notice it. For example if i glued a humungous block plastic to my guitar, which i would't do, it would actually "suck" in some of the frequencies of certain notes i played. This is due to the fact that everything has a frequency to which it is "tuned to" ; sounds crazy i know. Stay with me.(ever notice how certain things in ur rooom shake when u play, it's not cuz u play loud, it's because the frequencies are now amplified enough to rattle them at their certain frequencies). This is what extra stuff on ur guitar like plastic do, they suck in these frequencies to a certain extent and In this case, like i said, the change would probably so miniscule that u wouldn't notice it.
Don't beleive me, actually look into it.
Last edited by iHeart_LesPauls at Sep 29, 2006,
I think your refering to an objects resonant frequency. An a-sharp makes my windows shake
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
D makes my snare drum shake
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by LethalAe86TypeR
Can i do that with a guitar with humbuckers?

No, if you do your face will melt off of your head, your eyes will drop to the ground and your guitar will explode.

****ing retard
JAMC
Last edited by RyanDude727 at Sep 30, 2006,
Quote by JadeFalcon5
i really wanna see someone saw of the back of an acoustic and try that now XD

There are some acoustics with offset soundholes that have a little door in the back and it makes a huge differance when the little door is open. If you have an acoustic you could play around with the concept yourself. If you cover your sandhole with some paper you will hear a differance in sound. Play around with it a bit and you will get a feel for what it sounds like with a bigger sound hole and a smaller one. You will notice that the bigger the soundhole the birghter the tone, and then you will be able to conclude that if your guitar had a big hole in the back then it wiould sound very thin, and very bright.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by RyanDude727
No, if you do your face will melt off of your head, your eyes will drop to the ground and your guitar will explode.

****ing retard

ROFL