No offence but I can guarantee you that they will both suck, save up more money.
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
Well a good amp will make you sound better than a new guitar. With that head youll have to buy a cabinet and if get a cheap Cabinet itll suck more. So you might as well stick with your original guitar(what is it?) and get a good combo amp and switch out the pickups. Unless your original guitar is a starcaster(yes thats how you spell it) or is made out of agathis or plywood. Then I would save up for both a new guitar and amp that is of decent quality.

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power

Last.fm
POOP
no, its not a starcaster. But it is plywood. Right now I've been playing my acoustic. I know I will have to get a cab. Thats why I can only spend 100 bucks on an amp head.
Well just get a combo and a fat strat, a combo will be cheaper and sound better at the same or lower price and you dont really need an amp head and cab if you are only playing inside or small gigs.

Quote by basssoldier

Quote by Soul Power

Last.fm
POOP
ok, but I asked for opinions on which of those two were better. I have a combo in mind but thats another option I have.
Last edited by livrockdie at Sep 28, 2006,
actually the valve junior sounds pretty good. people on here seem to like it and i thought it sounded nice when i played it. it doesnt have an EQ tho, so you will eventually want an EQ pedal if using that amp. but 5w of all tube = nice sound that isnt so loud you cant turn it up a bit in your bedroom.
Ya, I was thinking that and a 2x12 cab would be cheaper than any tube combo I've ever seen (that has 2x12 speakers) Plus theres all kinds of cool mods you can do to it. (check ebay and you'll see what I mean)
get the crate, only on the idea that its loud as hell, 150 watt bridged mono at 4 ohms, so couple that with a decent cab and you got one loud amp, and unless you need a recording amp the 5w epi tube amp its just not loud enough for a gig, the 150w crate has plenty of power to do a gig with headroom, and you can get a tube preamp for it later to get a more tube like sound.

also remember this forum really really likes tube amps and thus really really hates transistor amps so check out reviews on it in harmony centeral and whatnot
i hear that the epi is pretty good
but yeah, 5 watts is ****. i bet my discman can go loauder then that
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
I have the epiphone head and the cab i use is just a Crate 1x12 and it rocks. It sounds amazing, just get an overdrive pedal.
combo combo combo. A good SS combo will be better for you than that Epi head. Youre going to want a flexible amp.
Umm... about the crate. Its wired for stereo. Do I have to re wire my guitar and get all new cabels?
yea, it will sound good, its tube. but its not loud because its only 5 watts, the crate is way louder and overall a more versitle amp for gigging because it has an effects loop so you can use an external preamp, ie tube preamp, and it wont sound half bad.

edit: no its a stereo output, so you can use a stereo cab or bridge it for mono, so its not a stereo input so you dont have to rewire anything.
Last edited by sempri_fi at Sep 28, 2006,
id go for the crate, it sounds pretty damn good, and it has enough power for gigging.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Ya, eventually I want to start doing some small gigs. But most places have a house pa. No matter how big the amp is most bands I've seen still mic to the pa mixer.
I have one of those Epi heads and for $100 you can't go wrong. I have a Blues Jr. and a Twin also which is what I am running the Epi through now. Sounds great through both, I have a Heritage G12H and a pair of Vintage 30's loaded into the Fenders and this amp really doesn't sound bad at all. It is a class A tube amp for $100, there are also a sh1tload of sites to mod these amps for dirt cheap.

I think this will be next Fender Champ. I have even thought about picking up a second one they are so cheap.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
the 5 watts on the epi is definitely too loud for home playing when cranked for any sort of distortion. hell i think even the 1/2 watt of the zvex nano is too loud cranked through a good 2x12. and even then, its like a hot blues sort of tone w/o any pedals. there are however some mods (like tone knob and gain knob/gain contour switches) that you can do for cheap.

the crate on the other hand is a completely underrated extremely useful piece of equipment, and i hate it when people slag it ignorantly. its got a great clean sound with plenty of headroom and nice picking sensitivity (the class D design actually is pretty damn good). if you turn the gain up you get a surprisingly nice crunch sound, almost jcm800-ish but just with less gain on tap and a little bit harsher. theres a line in for practice, as well as headphone outs. the best thing is that its smaller than a fairly large booger, and even after you upgrade to another amp, it will be a more than sufficient backup.

edit: i also want to add that you should look into avatar cabs--best cabs for the price, and you can even get custom tolex and ****.
Last edited by lightbulbs on?! at Sep 28, 2006,
alright, If I get the crate can I hook a footswitch to switch between clean and dirty or would I have to use an effect pedal between the amp and guitar?
single channel... no channel switching here
'62 Stratocaster Reissue, Sunburst - Duncan Hotrails in Bridge
Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Alpine white
Univox "Lucy", Clear Lucite Body
Schecter Pro Stragety
Crate - GX1200 - Half Stack - CRAP! SCREW Crate!
BOSS - DD5, GE7, MT2, DS1
Quote by livrockdie

The valve junior IS a good practice amp. I would highly recommend it for your price range. However, you will need a cab.
Quote by drevil814
Be a man and tell her off. If that doesn't work, a roundhouse kick to the face will.

Quote by flesh fries
im not racist....ive got a color tv
Quote by danzig-_-
i hear that the epi is pretty good
but yeah, 5 watts is ****. i bet my discman can go loauder then that

Apparently you haven't used 5 watts tube before.

It's plenty loud for practice.
If you're just jamming on your own it could easily be too loud cranked.

Crate Powerblock FTL. I get the impression it's basically a dead clean amp for use with pedals and such. Make sure you have nice pedals before you buy it...this means no DS-1's, Digitech crap, or overdrives.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by sempri_fi
yea, it will sound good, its tube. but its not loud because its only 5 watts, the crate is way louder and overall a more versitle amp for gigging because it has an effects loop so you can use an external preamp, ie tube preamp, and it wont sound half bad.

edit: no its a stereo output, so you can use a stereo cab or bridge it for mono, so its not a stereo input so you dont have to rewire anything.

5 watts tube is still very ****ing loud.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
get a vox a50vt
it makes me sound like Jimi Hendrix
Only better.
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Its not ZOMG MESA RECTO LOUD. Its not ZOMG MY EARS ARE BLEEDING loud. Its 'Wow thats loud for just 5watts' loud. Which, for 5watts, its loud. Hell the MicroCube is 2watts and even thats loud! But like I said, not like bleeding ears loud.
i own and have heard plenty of crates, none of them, IMO, they dont do a decent metal tone without some assistance from pedals. but this could be from the type of gutiars i use too...

edit: grammar edit
'62 Stratocaster Reissue, Sunburst - Duncan Hotrails in Bridge
Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Alpine white
Univox "Lucy", Clear Lucite Body
Schecter Pro Stragety
Crate - GX1200 - Half Stack - CRAP! SCREW Crate!
BOSS - DD5, GE7, MT2, DS1
Last edited by tweekavich at Oct 3, 2006,
sorry why dont you save up and buy a cube 60?
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

member of UG's gain \/\/hores- pmgpderek09 to join
I happen to own both. I run them through a 1x12 Mesa recto cab with a Vintage 30 in it. The as far as loudness goes, the epi at about 2:00 on the volume will give you that "ears clogged" "say what?" kinda effect after practicing... that's plenty loud. However it has next to no head room, you'll be getting a bit of distortion starting at about 10:00 on that bad boy. I personally love it, bone stock.
The crate is just nice and portable, I bring it to practice with the 1x12 cab. It's loud enough and has enough features to get the job done, I do run a J&H pedal through it (funny how the pedal cost more than the amp) but either way it works well, I would gig with it no problem.
So I vote for the crate, I think you'll get more use out of it. I consider the Epi more of a toy.... albiet a very fun toy. But neither one of these amps are going to do metal well without help.