i;m trying to change the strings on my acoustic guitar. i got the ends out of the tuners, then i hit a problem at the bridge. the pins holding in the strings have proven to be extremely difficult to take out. I would just use a brute force method but im worried that doing so will rip out the bridge along with it. Is this normal? can i just try to pull the pins until they come out?
i usually use a table knife and put thumb on one side and knife on other and wiggle upwards slowly whilst usuing thumbe to push down on bridge. ive been doin this ever since i started and never left a mark. plus u can buy better replacement bridge pins that give u better tone if u cack it up anyway and there not expensive. ive seen a proper tool to do it but never seen one for sale.
They make a pin pulling tool for that exact purpose.

Yes you can pull on the pins until they come out, just be a little careful.
With your strings off, reach into the soundhole and push the pins out from the bottom. If it hurts your fingers becuase you have to push too hard put a towel between your finger and the pin as a cushion before you push them out.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
If you've got one one of those tuning peg winders it probably has a little slot on it for removing the pins, mine does. They cost about two bucks or so, and they're usually like up on the counter in a jar at most music stores.
My Gear:
2006 PRS SE Singlecut with Dragon pickups
2003 Yamaha acoustic
2001 Squire Strat
28Watt Squire Champ 15
65Watt Peavey Express 112
Digitech RP200 Artist Effects Pedal
Boss Compressor
ok thanks for the info guys. im gonna go down to my guitar shop sometime soon and i'll pick up some kind of peg remover. my tuning winder doesnt have a thing for pins so im gonna have to get a new one.
I have that one, works great. Got it for 1.99 at my local music store.
My gear:
-OLP MM2
-OLP practice amp 10w
-Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky Strings
-1.14 Everly Star Picks