Alright so my band has played 2 gigs, both hugely sucessful with a large auidence approval, even though one of our gigs had major power issues. My question is, we have a set of 5 origonals, which is about 30 minutes with the talking inbetween etc. 30 mins is basically the max ammount of time for the venues we will be playing. I was wondering if it was a bad idea to only have orig. songs this early in our career?
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
play whatever you want man.. its cool to have all original music.

if you get like.. an hour then bust out a cover or two.
Just having 5 songs seems limiting. Would you want to play the same 5 songs every night?

If you have five songs down pat, you need more material. Covers are a quick fix (relatively quick, depending on complexity) but you don't have to. imo, you should either get writing or get a few covers down for some filler (maybe both).
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Its never bad to have originals in your set, especially if they're good songs. If you want, you can have a short cover in there, too, though. Its totally up to you.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Or you could do a cover but make it your own add diffrent fills and solos
as long as it has a simlair sound and people know the song they love it
Quote by Stop Messin'
Every pic of Jimmy Page taken looking up at him. He looks like a 10 foot tall GOD!