im gettin an american strat in a couple of weeks and im proly gonna get a right handed one (i play left) just to have a different sound in the pick ups, plus it looks cooler, i just wanted to know if anyone knows how big a difference reversed pups make. and let me know how you think black with a black pickguard will look. thanks.
You do know that your going to have to make quite a few adjustments to a right handed strat before you can play it left handed. Its not as simple as just re-stringing it upside down.

Its probably not worth the effort unless you really know what your doing, cheaper just to buy a left handed one and then take the pickups out turn them around 180 degrees and wire them back in to get the sound you wanted..
Last edited by Prk Marshall at Sep 28, 2006,
yeah, if you want the pickups reversed, buy a left-handed one, and reverse the pickups, it's a lot less work, and money
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Yeah, you'll have to get a new nut too.
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
Prk Marshall: That wouldn't work for a Strat's bridge pickup, and anyway it's not just the pickups that make a tonal difference in this kind of circumstance, it's also the 6 a-side arrangement of tuners on the headstock.

To the threadstarter: Unless your pup's pole pieces have a vintage stagger the tonal difference won't be quite like Hendrix's (which is, I assume, what you're going for). Just buy a Digitech Jimi pedal and put a righty vibrato on a lefty guitar and you'll be most of the way there.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
And it won't be comfortable, you won't be able to go higher than the 16th or 18th fret, the whammy may will bother you...
Quote by dustinrhocks4
Yeah, you'll have to get a new nut too.

No, you'll just need to turn the old one over.

Also, to the threadstarter again, I think black with a black pickguard will go great with black hair, black nail varnish and black clothes

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
I think you need to stop being a Hendrix wannabe and get a lefty guitar rather than sacrificing playability for looks
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Strat_Monkey
No, you'll just need to turn the old one over

You cant turn the old nut around, because it doesnt fit flush against the end of the fret board if you do that. A good nut is vital to intonation and action, if you just turn the nut around then you will throw everything out of whack and it wont be efective.

You would have to either re-cut the nut (which is tricky) or get a left handed nut. After re-stringing the bridge height would also have to to be adjusted to give the low E enough clearance and to bring the top E closer to the fret board (because the bridge heghts are the wrong way around). Then the intonation would have to be adjusted. Then the truss rod. Its all way too much effort.

Strat_Monkey i dont see why you cannot take the bridge pickup out, turn it around and then solder it back in?
just buy a ****ing left-handed. How the **** is there a different sound?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Quote by timi_hendrix
I think you need to stop being a Hendrix wannabe and get a lefty guitar rather than sacrificing playability for looks

thus says Timi Hendrix

But seriously listen to him.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
Quote by Prk Marshall
Strat_Monkey i dont see why you cannot take the bridge pickup out, turn it around and then solder it back in?

Because on a Strat the hole for the bridge pickup is angled so that the pole pieces for the higher strings are closer to the bridge, thus emphasising the treble on the treble strings and the bass on the bass strings. When you flip a guitar upside down and re-string it accordingly then this relationship is reversed, with the treble now being emphasised on the bass strings and vice versa.

Okay valid point.

However if you dont reverse the pickups then the pole pieces arent at the same height they would be on a right handed guitar that had been re-strung for a lefty.

I think if your trying to go for that righty re-strung to a lefty sound then its more important to reverse the pickups, as thats the major difference between the sound of a re-strung righty when compared to a lefty.
The dude wants a left guitar strung right. Sure there are some drawbacks, ie, no body contours, less fret access, messed up controls, whammy bar gets in your way, but I think it would be cool to try, and to see how it plays.

I think black on black will look terrible, and is very un-stratworthy. Just my $0.02.
Well it doesnt play very well if you just re-string it, of that much i can assure you.

As i have already said you need to re-cut the nut or fit a replacement, change the bridge height on both sides, adjust the truss rod and correct the intonation. Thats a lot of effort and if you dont know how to make some of those adjustments then you would have to pay a tech to do it.

Far better just to get a left handed guitar and fip the pups over, or leave them as they are if you want.
By the way, I saw steve miller play a left handed strat right handed, so it must be cool. I doubt you would have to make many adjustments, and intonation is pretty routine, so go for it.
its not that complicated ill just need to buy a lefty nut, get the bridge changed around and get the strap button changed, and im not really goin for the whole jimi hendrix thing i just dont want to sound like every other person that plays a strat, and since i play lefty i have an opportunity to do somthing that is done often wich is to have revrsed pick ups. as for the cost i talked to a guy at my local shop and he said im looking at somthing in the neigborhood of $175. as for color i might go with white w/ pearl pickguard but i dunno yet.
You could get a set of GHS "Jimi" pickups. Haven't tried them in particular, but I love GHS in general, and the Jimi set is completely reverse wound with staggered pole pieces, so it replicates the sound of reversing your pickups.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)