What are the best EMGs for metal, with a mahogany body.

Also active pickups need an external power source, so what exactly is tha source? Do you have to get batteries and replace them every once in a while?
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by breakstuff
What are the best EMGs for metal, with a mahogany body.

Also active pickups need an external power source, so what exactly is tha source? Do you have to get batteries and replace them every once in a while?

bridge= 81 (possibly 85 but not recommended)
neck- 85, or 60 (the best active cleans IMO)

They run on standard 9 volt batter ies, if I am not mistaken. It is very easy to change them oout, unless you have to go under a pickguard. But you should probably have to change it about every 3-6 months, depending on how often you play.
Gear

Son Of Beast *IDW it anymore*
Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
Guys relax if you can't joke about genocide then what can you do?
For metal, a 81/60 or 81/85 combo is great, but EMGs sound best with a good tube amp. The power source is a 9volt battery in the controll cavity or a battery compartment in your guitar, they last like 3000 of play time or something.

EDIT: Too late...****
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Quote by Cone 21
For metal, a 81/60 or 81/85 combo is great, but EMGs sound best with a good tube amp. The power source is a 9volt battery in the controll cavity or a battery compartment in your guitar, they last like 3000 of play time or something.

EDIT: Too late...****

I like your post more than mine, so thanks man
Gear

Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
can't you also run EMGs off 2 or 3 9V batteries? I believe it alters the tone in a good way.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
can't you also run EMGs off 2 or 3 9V batteries? I believe it alters the tone in a good way.

2 possibly, as in one for each pickup. 3? I'm not so sure about that, but hey, I'm not a technical genius.
Gear

Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
the 81/85 is the best setup and they run of a 9 volt and that will last for a WHILE! it even says it on emgpickups.com that the actives can run off of a 9v and if u play for 8 hours aday everysingle day it will last for just about a year
so u wont have to change it that much
my gear:
Schecter Damien 6 w/emg's
gibson sg standard
dean performer e acou/elec
ibanez tone blaster=[
ibanez ts7 tubescreamer
boss ds-1
boss sd-1
dunlop crybaby from hell wah
yeah, the 85 in the bridge an't too bad, it adds alot more bass and punch to your tone, but only Joel from KsE uses an 85 in the bridge.

As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
Last edited by Cone 21 at Sep 29, 2006,
Quote by Cone 21
yeah, the 85 in the bridge an't too bad, it adds alot more bass and punch to your tone, but only Joel from KsE uses an 85 in the bridge.

agreed
Quote by Agent_00Funk
The guys in Killswitch use 85/81, i think thats a pretty killer tone.

yeh also check out their amps pretty amazing stuff i wonder where there tone comes from.

and yes you can have 2/3 batteries and you hook them up in either parallel or serial one would give you longer battery life while the other gives you more head room and any more batteries and there is no point