e|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|
B|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|
G|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|-----|
D|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|
A|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|
E|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3mBGODdzzVw

Quote by fenderfreak101

And by "Talk to girls," I mean "There once was this tootally cool girl on Xbox Live and we chatted about what level Wizardgammot we are in D & D"
Last edited by Billy Talented at Sep 28, 2006,
The first pattern contains the notes (A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D) - Yeah, that's the A major scale, and probably the position most people learn as a beginner.

The second patterns contains the notes (E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G#) - which contains the same notes as the A major scale, and is infact just 'another position' of the A major scale, but one might argue you'd call it E mixolydian.

But yeah, you're correct in saying that both of those are positions of the A major scale.
well..
i have absolutely no idea what mixolydian is
and i was hoping i was right

Quote by fenderfreak101

And by "Talk to girls," I mean "There once was this tootally cool girl on Xbox Live and we chatted about what level Wizardgammot we are in D & D"
The first is A major, the second is E mixolydian - the fifth mode of A major

Quote by Johnljones7443
The second patterns contains the notes (E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G# - A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G#) - which contains the same notes as the A major scale, and is infact just 'another position' of the A major scale, but one might argue you'd call it E mixolydian.

No, it is E mixolydian.

To the threadstarter, E mixolydian is the fifth mode of A major, look it at as being an A major scale starting on its fifth degree (note).

1   2   3   4   5   6    7
A major       A   B   C#  D   E   F#  G#

E mixolydian starts on the 5th degree, so while the notes are the same
their digital pattern is different meaning the stresses are changed.

E mixolydian   1   2   3   4   5    6   7b 
               E   F#  G#   A   B   C#  D 

Theres heaps about modes on UG.
Last edited by Kiwi Ace at Sep 28, 2006,
What about this one?

0     1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9    10    11    12  
e|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|
B|-----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|-----|-----|
G|-----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
D|-----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
A|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
E|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

Quote by fenderfreak101

Quote by Kiwi Ace
The first is A major, the second is E mixolydian - the fifth mode of A major

No, it is E mixolydian.

To the threadstarter, E mixolydian is the fifth mode of A major, look it at as being an A major scale starting on its fifth degree (note).

oh k so the scale is E mixolydian
but its still in the key of A

and the one i just posted it E mixolydian

Quote by fenderfreak101

^Yeah, that's A major again. (Or E mixolydian in the case of our friend here who magically assumed a chord, context and atmoshphere from your fingerboard patters. )
Quote by Johnljones7443
^Yeah, that's A major again. (Or E mixolydian in the case of our friend here who magically assumed a chord, context and atmoshphere from your fingerboard patters. )

That's not very fair, if he asked if these scales were in the key of A major then yes, they are, but he asked if they were A major scales, and what I said was correct, if you (yes, assuming from his patterns, but why not? That's what he asked!) play an E major scale with a flat seventh you are playing E mixolydian. Context and atmoshphere is not particularly relevent - for example, if you play a 1,2,3,5 pattern in A major, it's not the same as playing a 1,2,3,5 pattern in E mixolydian - that was the point I was trying to make.

Not wanting to start a fight, but hey.
i understand

E mixylodian(sp) is in the key of A(maj)

it just wasnt an A(maj) scale because i didnt start on A

I started on E, so it changed the order the notes are played in

Quote by fenderfreak101

^I know it wasn't very fair, and I apologize.

But.. in the context of what he was trying to learn - he is right in saying that the patterns are the A major scale - which is what he's trying to learn.

If he was asking 'Is this one pattern A Ionian, and the other one E mixo?' - then yeah, what you said was right and relevant.

But.. 'well..i have absolutely no idea what mixolydian is' is where I was coming from, you know?

Okay.. to the seasoned musician who knows his ****, you can call it E mixo.. but he's trying to learn 'the positions of the A major scale'.. and he was correct in saying both were positions of the A major scale, which is what I confirmed.

1 more question since the topic came up

Lonian is where you start on the 1st note of a scale
and
Mixolydian is on the 5th note of the scale

what is for 2 3 4 6 and 7?

Quote by fenderfreak101

Quote by Billy Talented
1 more question since the topic came up

Lonian is where you start on the 1st note of a scale
and
Mixolydian is on the 5th note of the scale

what is for 2 3 4 6 and 7?

(1) I - Ionian.
(2) ii - Dorian.
(3) iii - Phrygian.
(4) IV - Lydian.
(5) V - Mixolydian.
(6) vi - Aeolian.
(7) vii° - Locrian.
Quote by Johnljones7443
^I know it wasn't very fair, and I apologize.

But.. in the context of what he was trying to learn - he is right in saying that the patterns are the A major scale - which is what he's trying to learn.

If he was asking 'Is this one pattern A Ionian, and the other one E mixo?' - then yeah, what you said was right and relevant.

But.. 'well..i have absolutely no idea what mixolydian is' is where I was coming from, you know?

Okay.. to the seasoned musician who knows his ****, you can call it E mixo.. but he's trying to learn 'the positions of the A major scale'.. and he was correct in saying both were positions of the A major scale, which is what I confirmed.

kk

for A(maj)

Lonian
A B C# D E F# G#

Dorian
B C# D E F# G# B

Phrygian
C# D E F# G# A B

Lydian
D E F# G# A B C#

Mixolydian
E F# G# A B C# D

Aeolian
F# G# A B C# D E

Locrian
G# A B C# D E F#

Those are all in the key of A(maj) theyre just names of scales

and E mixolydian is never going to be in any other key?

Quote by fenderfreak101

Technically yes. But scales arent just patterns, they're groups of notes. Scales span the entire fretboard. The second patter (or any of those patterns) would only be mixolidian if you established the fifth note of the scale as the tonal center.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Sep 28, 2006,
Quote by Archeo Avis
But scales arent just patterns, they're groups of notes. Scales span the entire fretboard.

oh i know that
its just helps me remember what frets are in what scale
when im going directly from point A to point B

and was the

Quote by Archeo Avis
Technically yes.

for the "E mixolydian will never be in any other scale?

Quote by fenderfreak101

Quote by Billy Talented
for the "E mixolydian will never be in any other scale?

They're both patterns of the major scale, but they're only actually ionian if you etablish A as the tonal center. They could be any of a number of modes based on the chords, root note etc.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
so how would you say its the E mixolydian scale of the A major key?

and in what situation would you have to say its what ever mixolynian/lonian/ etc from what ever scale?

Quote by fenderfreak101

Last edited by Billy Talented at Sep 28, 2006,
Quote by Billy Talented
so would you say its the E mixolydian scale of the A major key?

E mixolydian will always be have the same notes as A major, so saying "...of the A major key" isn't necessary. Just "E Mixolydian". Basically, contain the same notes as the root scale, just in a different order. So from C major, you could get...

CDEFGAB

C Ionian (Another name for the major scale)
D Dorian
E Phrygian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian (The minor scale)
B Locrian

They all contain the exact same notes, but the intervals are different because they start on a different root notes, and are played over different chords. So they have different sounds. I apologize if you know this, just thought I'd explain it.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Sep 28, 2006,
i didnt know it
thank you though

so the way youd figure out what key like B mixolydian was
you'd know the B was the fifth note
so

E#
or
Fb is the key?

Quote by fenderfreak101

Quote by Billy Talented
i didnt know it
thank you though

so the way youd figure out what key like B mixolydian was
you'd know the B was the fifth note
so

E#
or
Fb is the key?

B Mixolydian is in the key of B Mixolydian.
It may have the same notes as E major, but you make it mixolydian by establishing B as the tonal center.