I'll keep it short and sweet, my new Epiphone LP Custom (Silverburst! :P) is being annoying.

Bear with me, I lack much knowledge on the technical terms and proper names of these things.

I'm having issues here where the harder I'm picking, the 'wavier' the tuning on the strings sounds. By that, I mean that picking a string relatively hard will have the note sound much higher than it should, and slowly drop down to what it should be.

This issue is not particularly noticeable in E standard tuning, but the moment I drop any of the strings (Let's say I put it in Drop D), it goes mental.

For example, I'll pick an open D on the 6th string, and it will originally sound as an E-flat, then fall down to a D.

I've been sitting here examining the guitar, and nothing LOOKS wrong with it - no problems on the bridge, the nut or the action. So I'm thinking it might be a string gauge issue. I just checked the gauge on the strings (came with the guitar) and they are 10-46's (don't know the brand).

ANY help would be appreciated.
are you bending it when you pick it? i'm a little confused by what you mean...
Schecter C-1+
Fender FM212R
Boss MD-2
A shitload of other pedals I never use.

Quote by Nelsean
I swallowed a marble when I was 8. I pooped it out in the same day too.

Quote by stringmagician
Only funny thing in this whole thread.
You're probably picking it way too hard.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
Quote by AsianPirate
are you bending it when you pick it? i'm a little confused by what you mean...

Nope.

Okay... When I pick an open string (picking as normal, not slowly bending the string then releasing it - just a hard pick), the string initially sounds horridly out of tune, but slowly the sound reverts to what the tuning SHOULD be.

Think of it as a pre bend. Except I'm not actually doing one, the guitar is doing it itself.
when you pick it'll be a little sharper than as the note fades, so I bet you picking really hard.
But I could be wrong
DRM, it's killing music.
Quote by ShutDown785
You're probably picking it way too hard.

Possibly. But then again, every other guitar I have picked up hasn't had this problem when I play the same way. ESP's, Jackson's, other Epiphone's - hell, even and old Yamaha Pacifica 112 was fine!

Quote by Broelke4
when you pick it'll be a little sharper than as the note fades, so I bet you picking really hard.

That's basically what I'm getting at. The note starts sharp, and fades down to the normal.

I'd be really surprised if it was a 'picking too hard' issue. I've played like this for nearly a decade and I've never had a problem with any other guitar.
When strings are old they do that.

Try new strings, and see if the problem persists. If it does, go get it set up.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Quote by Just_a_picker
When strings are old they do that.

Try new strings, and see if the problem persists. If it does, go get it set up.

Okay, will do. I'll slap some Dean Markley 10-52's on it.
Glad to help, I had a problem like that with one of my acoustics then I noticed how old the strings were, so I put some new ones on there, and problem solved.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Quote by Just_a_picker
Glad to help, I had a problem like that with one of my acoustics then I noticed how old the strings were, so I put some new ones on there, and problem solved.

Well... I appreciate the advice, but it didn't exactly... work.

Just put the new 6th string on (52), and it STILL has issues. Not much change at all.

**** man... I paid too much for that guitar, and now it's being a bastard. Someone hates me.