I was thinking about upgrading my collection. I have a squier bullet and I was thinking about getting this Squier Special Ed. Strat. How can you resist this beauty. And it's only $200. I don't want my fam to waste too much money so I wanted to get a good low price guitar. Well as I was saying, I want to get this but I've read reviews saying this guitar isnt that great. What should I do? What do you guys think of this babe? And if you know better $200 guitars then please let me know.

Thanks
~crash
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
Why would you want another squier?
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Don't upgrade a squire to another squire. Thats not really much of an upgrade. If you want a nice guitar at a low price look at some of the schecter guitars. I believe you can get an omen 6 or a gryphon for $299, unless of course it's a single coil sound your after. If thats the case you might want to think about just upgrading the pickups in you bullet to some nice duncans.
CLICK HERE to see my rig
Mesa Dual Rectifier
4x12 Recto Standard
H&K 1x12 Switchblade
Flextone 3 XL
PRS Custom 22 Ten Top
ESP EC-1000
Shecter Gryphon w/ Emg 85/81
Ibanez AEF37
EHX small clone/ holy grail
BBE Sonic maximizer
Boss DD6
Yeah I hear and see a lot of adds about seymour duncan humbuckers. I might get that for christmas if I can't get a guitar. But I have this 2005 catalog where I saw the squier and I checked out the schecters. Not really into them. And since most people ask for what type of music you play and such to know a better guitar for you I'll have to say I'm mostly into alternative if that helps.
Ballz On Parade
i think you are a good dude crash for not being greedy and wanting your family ot bust their nuts paying for you.
Ibanez RG770DX /w Floyd Rose & Stock Pickups
Aria AK-80 Classical Concert Guitar
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-2
Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff Pi
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Heet Sound Ebow
So you want a single coil guitar or a humbucker guitar?
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

you can say "special ed" all right
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
schecter open 6 or a fender standard strat ( i think they have 300 dollar ones if im not mistaken? )
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
a fender standard strat ( i think they have 300 dollar ones if im not mistaken? )

The Made in Mexico models are about 300, and they're very nice guitars for the money. Epiphone Les Pauls are also great and about that price range.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
MIM's are closer to 400 these days... but well worth the extra 200 over a Squier....

try something used maybe?
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
A............ used Suhr ??

Seriously, get a Mexican Strato, muchaho !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
If you want a single coil guitar try the Fender made in mexico telecaster, i like teles better than strats as single coil guitars (thats personal though).

Something with humbuckers... you could try the Epiphone Les Paul Plain Top. Its got a full mahogany body unlike the standard models.

If you cant decide between single coil and humbucker check out a Fender made in mexico strat HSS, although some people dont like the humbucker tone on alder.

Try out these three guitars and you should know better what you want. They all run for 400 dollars.

Save some money, dont upgrade from a squier to a squier. You'll be doing yourself a favor.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Quote by michaelcyborg
i think you are a good dude crash for not being greedy and wanting your family ot bust their nuts paying for you.

Yeah thanks.

And what's a single coil pick up? And what is so great about the humbucker? If it's so great I'll just buy that and put it on my guitar.
Ballz On Parade
How long have you been playing? I dont want to be an ass, but you might not have your ears good enough to notice a big change on tone between your squier and another just a little better guitar yet(i say this based on the fact you dont know what a single coil or a humbucker is). I could be very wrong here but if thats true you should wait to buy an awesome guitar later, when you can truly appreciate the tone of an awesome guitar.

It would take a long while to explain to you the differences between the single coil and the humbucker. There was a great article about pickups a long time ago, dont know if you can still read it. The humbucker was created to stop the hum that came from single coil pickups (hum-bucker ) . Speaking on a very crude way you can say single coils are better for cleans and humbuckers are better for distortion, although many metal players use single coil guitars and many jazz players use humbucker guitars. Its all a matter of opinion. You can probably find a lot more info on google or something than i can tell you here. Try doing some research on them, it should help a lot. The best way for you to decide which one you like best is to play guitars that have them. After you decide that, you can decide nicely on the guitar you want.

Good luck dude

Edit: What a long ass post i just wrote.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

humbuckers give it a beefy tone
like zeppelin
I say get a epiphone les paul special, its only like 150 bucks USa and it was a good beginner guitar for me and I still play it, i really like its sound alot, then later you can upgrade it and put in some duncans.
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by crash 2.0
I was thinking about upgrading my collection. I have a squier bullet and I was thinking about getting this Squier Special Ed. Strat. How can you resist this beauty. And it's only $200. I don't want my fam to waste too much money so I wanted to get a good low price guitar. Well as I was saying, I want to get this but I've read reviews saying this guitar isnt that great. What should I do? What do you guys think of this babe? And if you know better $200 guitars then please let me know.

Talk about asking for it!
Quote by Calvero
How long have you been playing?

I've been playing since last christmas. And if a Humbucker gives a distortion tone then I'll take it. I'm sick of the cracked up sounds that come out of my amp. And is there still a way to use a clean tone with humbuckers? And when I said what's so great I didn't mean it in a bad way. Like that they suck. I was just asking because I hear so much about them.

Edit:
Quote by Master Bait Her
humbuckers give it a beefy tone
like zeppelin
I say get a epiphone les paul special, its only like 150 bucks USa and it was a good beginner guitar for me and I still play it, i really like its sound alot, then later you can upgrade it and put in some duncans.

You mean this?
Ballz On Parade
Last edited by crash 2.0 at Sep 29, 2006,
Quote by crash 2.0
Yeah thanks.

And what's a single coil pick up? And what is so great about the humbucker? If it's so great I'll just buy that and put it on my guitar.

You can't put humbuckers in your squire, it's made for single coils. I guess you could get a custom job, but at that point you might as well get a new guitar. Get a schecter, I'm telling you!!!
CLICK HERE to see my rig
Mesa Dual Rectifier
4x12 Recto Standard
H&K 1x12 Switchblade
Flextone 3 XL
PRS Custom 22 Ten Top
ESP EC-1000
Shecter Gryphon w/ Emg 85/81
Ibanez AEF37
EHX small clone/ holy grail
BBE Sonic maximizer
Boss DD6
But an epiphone comes with Humbuckers damnit! And it's only $150 which is even better then what I asked for. I can't afford expensive guitars dude. Me and my fam's trying to buy a house and this assholes cheating us so I'm not daring to go over $200 and $150 is even better.
Ballz On Parade
Don't buy anything.
A guitar for 200 will be total crap for sure. It's just the truth.
However, if you really *have* to buy something, these are GREAT cheap guitars:
http://www.rondomusic.net/

Personally though I'd save up some more money.
And on the humbuckers vs singlecoils, singlecoils are brighter and twanger, a bit "thinner" sounding. Humbuckers are thicker sounding and have less treble. Go to a guitar shop and play all the guitars you can get your hands on, just to get an idea of what you're looking for.

And by the way, a new amp will improve your tone MUCH more than a new guitar. You can run a terrible guitar through a nice amp and it will sound great.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I don't know what brand this guitar is but it looks like a cheap fender. Now let's compare

Cheap Fender

Epiphone Les Paul

They both have humbuckers but the cheap thing has a whammy bar which my Bullet doesn't. I always wanted to use that but the Epiphone looks like it has a nice selection of settings. What do you guys think?
Ballz On Parade
Quote by crash 2.0
I don't know what brand this guitar is but it looks like a cheap fender. Now let's compare

Cheap Fender

Epiphone Les Paul

They both have humbuckers but the cheap thing has a whammy bar which my Bullet doesn't. I always wanted to use that but the Epiphone looks like it has a nice selection of settings. What do you guys think?

Save up for a better guitar. I doubt you need another guitar badly, so i don't see why you can't wait till you have enough money to buy a kick ass guitar, instead of just settling for another cheap one.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Get an ibanez
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
if you dont want your family paying a whole ton

save up some money between now and christmas, get the 200 from them, then you can get a nice guitar
True. I'll see what I can do. Thanks dudes, and keep truckin!
Ballz On Parade
Save up till christmas(i would save even more, but thats up to you) so you can ask for some money as a gift from your parents. Humbuckers dont give you distortion tone... its hard to explain it. The others did it better than me. But really try to find some articles about pickups and woods(those influence heavily on the tone)so you'll know what you want to buy. The best thing I did before ordering my new guitar was really getting to know stuff and play a lot of guitars, noticing those differences in tone. Right now i wouldnt choose any other guitar. Take your time choosing yours.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

ibanez RG321...for only 280ish. much better.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Jeez christmas posts already....

Anyway, I'd say get a MIM Strat (or Fat Strat, If you want the humbucker) If its not too much to ask. Well worth the extra cash.
I don't do drugs. Music is my high.
If you are dead set on getting a new guitar, i would suggest trying to find a Made in Mexico Fender Fat Strat on ebay or something like that. Brand new they will be a bit expensive, but you may be able to find a good one used. But you could just ask for money for Christmas and continue to save until you figure out exactly what you want.

Someone else also made a great point......a $3000 Gibson Les Paul still isn't going to sound good through a bad amp. An amp is much more important if your goal is to improve your tone.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I guess I'll get a tube amp so Ican use my TS9 properly.
Ballz On Parade
Quote by crash 2.0

Now you're on the right track.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by crash 2.0

Thats a pretty awesome alternative.
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!