Page 1 of 2
this might be the wrong forum but he fits in the time line.

anyway, i ****ing love this guy. if you thought Dylan or Van Morrison were good folk songwriters, i think Nick Drake blows both out of the water. i could listen to Pink Moon for the rest of my life and never get bored of it, it's just so good and so beautiful. he just writes such gorgeous music and i can't get enough of it. the thing that sucks is that he only has 3 normal releases so there's not much material of him .

so who else is a fan?
i agree just baught his pink moon album a little while back and i was stunned. absolutely incredible.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I'm not a fan of his at all...his music really just bores me and in no way can compete with Bob Dylan or Neil Young.
Quote by I Play Guitar!
this might be the wrong forum but he fits in the time line.

anyway, i ****ing love this guy. if you thought Dylan or Van Morrison were good folk songwriters, i think Nick Drake blows both out of the water. i could listen to Pink Moon for the rest of my life and never get bored of it, it's just so good and so beautiful. he just writes such gorgeous music and i can't get enough of it. the thing that sucks is that he only has 3 normal releases so there's not much material of him .

so who else is a fan?

IMO, he's not better than Dylan. But that said, he's definately up there. One of my favourite folk players, such a shame he took his life at such and young age and still wasn't recognized till several years later.

But yeah, Nick Drake is awesome, good to see some more fans.
There's one of these in the 'Other' forum me thinks. Anyway, he's amazing - probably my favourite artist. I have all his albums and Bryter Layter is my favourite. I prefer him over Neil Young and Bob Dylan, but I'm a big fan of both. I just think his songs are written better and his lyrics a little bit deeper. He's also a very underrated guitarist.
Oh yeah, his guitarplaying really stands out I think. But is sadly underrated, as is his entire career.
He's better than Dylan and Young put together, the man is just sensational, Pink Moon and Bryter Layter are absolute classics. I also have a bit of a thing for Time of No Reply. His guitar playing is insane too. He just can't play two songs in the same tuning.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Quote by Derigiberble
He's better than Dylan and Young put together, the man is just sensational, Pink Moon and Bryter Layter are absolute classics. I also have a bit of a thing for Time of No Reply. His guitar playing is insane too. He just can't play two songs in the same tuning.

As far as playing goes, yeah, he totally blows Dylan and Young out of the water, no question. His lyrics - for me - are better than Young's but not as good as Dylan's, but that said, if the man hadn't killed himself, who knows? He could've easily gone on to surpass Dylan in lyrical ability too.
I've always felt he has become slightly over-rated. Yeah, there were some good tracks that he wrote ('day is done' is definitely amongst my favourite folk tracks) but there are quite a few folk artists that I listen to ahead of him.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
He has, Pink Moon is a great album, the first 3 tracks are brilliantly composed but the middle drags as there aren't any good hooks and it picks up again around Parasite.

I've always felt that He's in the same level of folky goodness as someone like Iron & Wine, like that's who I compare Nick Drake to these days. Sam Beam, Sam has some wonderful tracks and then some really really really bad ones.

Nick Drake = Samuel Beam
www.facebook.com/longlostcomic
Five Leaves Left. This is one of my all time albums, River man is a classic
Last edited by Agga at Oct 3, 2006,
I know there is one of these in Alternative and Indie, but seeing as alternative didn't even exist when Drake was around and "indie" is a type of record company, not a type of music... come on, he's classic rock! Anyway, I just discovered him and I'm amazed. His music and death make me think of Elliott Smith, and its weird to think he and Syd Barrett were breaking down right around the same time... he has to be one of rock's most interesting and tragic figures.
Quote by Something_Vague

Nick Drake = Samuel Beam

+10

Fantastic guitarist as well as musician.
Why do the good ones die young? :'(
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by rockinlespaul
Good music, interesting style. Seemed like he was a prick though.

You really think so? Judging by quotes from his peers he sounded really nice, though undoubtedly distant. I'm not offended by your appraisal, I'm just curious about why you think that.

BTW, people have said the same about Dylan, tons of times

Quote by Baby Joel
+10

Fantastic guitarist as well as musician.
Why do the good ones die young? :'(

The same reason Jesus had to die on the cross... to create an enduring legend. Honestly, I knew all about Drake's depression and death before I listened to him, and thats what really drew me in.
Good, yes. Awesome, Yes. Better than Dylan/Young, never in 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years. Put I do give Nick Drake mad props, even though he has become a bit overrated because of his "I tragically died young and had just started" complex.
Pot
Kettle
Black
^^I think his music is amazing regardless of the circumstances of his death, though as I said earlier they were what originally drew me in; his weaknesses made him seem more human than the average rock musician. I think people have an easier time relating to failure than success, success tends to be envied... or maybe thats just me. But I feel I would have felt the same way about his music even if I hadn't known about all that beforehand.
My friend said I should get "five leaves left" pretty nice album. My favorite song from that one would have to be River Man
the album art looks really cool on Pink Moon....ill give him a listen, thx for the recommendation....and damn he died when he was 26! man that sucks
'Music is the best"
Zappa
I'd have to disagree with you TS, i love his sound but i don't think he's a very good songwriter. ie. the songs on Pink Moon (arguably his best album) all sound very similar and i can't imagine the songwriting is good enough for anybody to cover who doesn't sound exactly like Nick. But hey, that's just my opinion folks...
I did not get my Spaghetti-O's, I got spaghetti. I want the press to know this.
Executed by injection, Oklahoma.
~~ Thomas J. Grasso, d. March 20, 1995.

Lyrics/Poetry

Fires Burning
Quote by esp1234
My friend said I should get "five leaves left" pretty nice album. My favorite song from that one would have to be River Man

If you like River Man you'll probably love Bryter Layter, his second album

Quote by Skin the Sun
I'd have to disagree with you TS, i love his sound but i don't think he's a very good songwriter. ie. the songs on Pink Moon (arguably his best album) all sound very similar and i can't imagine the songwriting is good enough for anybody to cover who doesn't sound exactly like Nick. But hey, that's just my opinion folks...

Who said you could have an opinion?

Quote by Dionietzsche
You really think so? Judging by quotes from his peers he sounded really nice, though undoubtedly distant. I'm not offended by your appraisal, I'm just curious about why you think that.

I agree with their assessment of Dylan.

I've read a good deal about him from various sources, and it seems that near the end of his life he would just go to his old friends' homes, sit down, listen to music, not talk to his friends and then leave after a while. He pretty much never talked to his family despite living in his parents' home, and all that good stuff.
Nick Drake is the shit. Personally, I like "Five Leaves Left" the most. Then "Pink Moon," then "Bryter Layter" (it seems a tad overproduced for what he was doing. Not a lot, just a little).
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Quote by rockinlespaul
I agree with their assessment of Dylan.

I've read a good deal about him from various sources, and it seems that near the end of his life he would just go to his old friends' homes, sit down, listen to music, not talk to his friends and then leave after a while. He pretty much never talked to his family despite living in his parents' home, and all that good stuff.

I don't think that qualifies him as an asshole... I've known people that have gone through similar periods, hell, I've been through them myself. Its not done out of any ill will toward anyone, just a loss of ability to connect with them. The fact that he would visit his friends shows he had a desire to reconnect with them, but the guy was lost.
I like everything off Pink Moon. So classic, relaxed, haunting, amaing. Horn, the instrumental track, is just so awesome. Know is also really good. It's simplicity is what makes it so great. That album may be the best Album ever made that clocks in under 30 minutes.
Pot
Kettle
Black
Quote by A Rolling Stone
I like everything off Pink Moon. So classic, relaxed, haunting, amaing. Horn, the instrumental track, is just so awesome. Know is also really good. It's simplicity is what makes it so great. That album may be the best Album ever made that clocks in under 30 minutes.

I only realised about a month or so ago how short 'Pink Moon' actually is. Certainly took me by surprise.

'Things Behind The Sun' is an absolute stonker of a song.
I heard Clothes of Sand somewhere and fell in love with it, but other than that I haven't heard much of his work.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
^Look at Five Leaves Left, it's really great. But if you want something really stripped own than get Pink Moon. Or both
Pot
Kettle
Black
I rented a 'best of' about 7 months ago and struggled to get into it but found it again on my computer yesterday and just loved it He's so awesome!

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

^^You should get the full album Pink Moon. Usually only very few tracks from it are on Greatest Hits compilations and in my opinion it's Nick at its Best.
Pot
Kettle
Black
I still need to listen to Pink Moon... I have Five Leaves Left, which I love, and Bryter Layter, which I don't care for, so that's the only one that remains. I think I know what I'll do tonight
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
^^Its not even a half-hour long, but every song is just so stripped down that they seem like they're all epics. Call me a Nick Drake fanboy if you like, but he just doesn't have a wide enough audience nowadays.
And I'll have to agree with you that Bryter Layter isn't very good.
But Five Leaves Left=Perfection.
Pot
Kettle
Black
^^Better than Dylan? No.
Close? Yes. And thats not an opinion. It be Fact.

Look at it like this. Nick accomplished all these amazing things as a songwriter in 3 albums.
Dylan came just came out with his (I'm pretty sure) 33rd album. I'm a huge Dylan fan, but it's not like he's "Untouchable", you know?
Pot
Kettle
Black
Just listened to five leaves left again...Why didn't I sooner. I LOVE THE ALBUM EVEN MORE NOW
I've heard of him but I've never heard him. What was that solo acoustic album he did I was thinking I should listen to that some time.

Edit: I looked it up on wikipedia and I'm listening to it on groove shark right now. Took me a few songs to dig his voice but now I really like it. His guitar is really great and the piano on the title track is really good. I don't know why, but the tracks seem longer than they are.
He's definitely a really good folkie, but better than Bob Dylan, not in a million years. The only way he would be better than Dylan is if Dylan died before Freewheelin' was recorded.
Last edited by cornmancer at Aug 12, 2009,
I could listen to Five Leaves Left for the rest of my life.

Fantastic writer, guitarist, and singer, who created this allure in his music, with an almost mystical attraction drawing you in to the depths of his expression.

I quite love everything about him. What a unique artist, and a shame to lose at such young an age.

I always find it interesting in his singing, where most would hold the middle of the word, he always held the last sound in the word.
Page 1 of 2