Page 1 of 2
I play thrash metal like exodus metallica slayer ect and some death metal is it a good amp for my style?(also they are tube right?)
Yes they are all tube. Never played one so i have no idea.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
they are very unreliable and also poorly constructed. at the old shop i used to work at they came in all the time for repairs.
yes, Mesa Boogie Duel Rectafier
The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
-Frank Zappa
I liked what I played of the DSL. I didnt get a chance to really push it, but Id think it could do metal (with an OD for the really heavy stuff I suppose). Havent tried the TSL, but you might want to look into that if you want a more modern metal sound
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by metalmiliita56
is a messa boogie triple rectifier good? for like 1650 and a cab

Im not much a fan of rectos as imo they were really flubby and you need to really push it to get good sounds out of it apparently. But if you can get it with an attenuator then more power to you. On the Mesa side of things, Id also look into Mark IIIs and IVs and the F series.
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
also is a jcm 2000 head for 650 a good deal?(these are all used) and im thinking of getten a 6505/5150 but cant find any used
^ebay foo and btw peavey > mesa > krank(if u were thinkin about it at all), i know very well from experience of owning them
Id say its a pretty decent deal. Im sure you can find the 6505/5150 used on ebay
Board:
Eh, its different strokes for different folks. Try them out for youself and then decide
Board:
dude dont listen to these hacks, the JCM 2000 TSL is the way to go a TSL 100, i own it and its EXTREMELY versatile, you can get screaming lead tones and roll it back and get satch type cleans with a bit of reverb, another thing the three channels (crunch,lead,clean) all have theyre own eq unlike the DSL which shares the same eq.

My opinion try all of them out, but this amp is versatile as hell try it out.
Quote by into the moat
they are very unreliable and also poorly constructed. at the old shop i used to work at they came in all the time for repairs.

They are actually quite reliable and very well constructed opposed to other amplifiers on the market today, and you cant really bash an amp because it came in for repairs all the time at YOUR SHOP.

I mean there are lots of different variables to take into account, maybe they needed tube replacements? maybe the owners were idiots and used the incorrectly?

You cant just badmouth an amp by that.

I own the TSL 100 and its a fantastic amp, iv played lots of other amps mesas, H &K, and this was the right one for me, so just quit it
I don't know from experience, but Matt Heafy from Trivium uses a DSL with a Maxon Overdrive pedal, and gets an awesome thrash tone from it. I intend on checking out the Mesa F series, though, it seems like a better deal. I'm gonna mix it with a Rocktron Silver Dragon for alternate tones. Of course, I've gotta try it out first xD
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by davo_TSL
They are actually quite reliable and very well constructed opposed to other amplifiers on the market today, and you cant really bash an amp because it came in for repairs all the time at YOUR SHOP.

I mean there are lots of different variables to take into account, maybe they needed tube replacements? maybe the owners were idiots and used the incorrectly?

You cant just badmouth an amp by that.

when i said that i didnt mean tube changes. some came in because the players were idiots but the majority was deeper problems with the amps construction and wiring. i was the one fixing the amps to btw
I heard they can handle Nile tones........ with a pushy OD though !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Im not much a fan of rectos as imo they were really flubby and you need to really push it to get good sounds out of it apparently.

wrong. but ok.

Anyways, the 5150 would be best for those metal tones. The JCM would be better if you want more flexibility. Dont let a few people who treated their amps like crap put you off on the JCM about its reliability. Theres a warranty, so use it...IF it breaks down. which probably wont happen. Be more mature about these things people, Gah.
^

Little things snowball into huge things here. Like the reliability and versitality of certain amps...
ENGLS are better amps than all of these by far.
meh....
You mean the MG ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by GnarX
ENGLS are better amps than all of these by far.

random.

omFgz not a power tube!!!!
i'd take a 5150 over a dual recto...

also, i've seen nile using TSL's. if anyone can come up with anything heavier than nile, please tell me.

They will do metal, but its more of a thrash sound. i'd say when cranked the tone of the DSL is alot like that of metallicas master of puppets (mostly battery) and at lower levels closer to the black album. but it took me ages of tweaking (which led to some very noob looking settings) to get a metal tone outta this, so hmm. with an OD and some know how it'd be great, but so would a 5150.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
the dsl can do metal as in older stuff like randy rhoads style and it CAN do metallica stuff as there is a mid shift control and there are 2 different hi gain channels.

all that said though, there are far better amps suited more for metal

be smart try out some amps you like and see if you actually need a super heavy amp, im not in a metal band yet but i have seen guys live using those amps in a metal band and they all sounded good. Marshalls are very much a live amp anyway so take into consideration how much you will use the amp live too

edit: other thing i forgot to add is even on volume 1 theres still plenty of gain, unlike some other amps i have tried
Quote by joel_grieve
i'd take a 5150 over a dual recto...

also, i've seen nile using TSL's. if anyone can come up with anything heavier than nile, please tell me.

They will do metal, but its more of a thrash sound. i'd say when cranked the tone of the DSL is alot like that of metallicas master of puppets (mostly battery) and at lower levels closer to the black album. but it took me ages of tweaking (which led to some very noob looking settings) to get a metal tone outta this, so hmm. with an OD and some know how it'd be great, but so would a 5150.

Listen to some Meshuggah for some change........
Remember, heaviness isn't gained only by gain.......... And I consider myself a gain freak !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
when did i say heaviness was? it just lacks the gain to be considered a metal amp. for instance, its ****ing hard to do pinch harmonics (trust me, i can pinch quite well, just lacks gain)

the od is moreso for bedroom tones.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Do you use ODs joel ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
nope. i plan to get one though. but i can crank my up abit as well, so it evens out.

also, **** meshuggah, dillinger escape plan is where its at. the mullet burden > your face.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Get a Maxon.....

F*** DEP, listen to some 8 string chug before you call gay emo prog heavy. mate !!!

HAHAHAHAHA, don't take it uber-seriously mate !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
old dep is prog? old dep was just chaos. it was intense. new DEP with the new singer sucks. but the mullet burden is just wow...trust me...it makes meshuggah look quite pansy.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Still you can't beat the heaviness of a 220 pound north european dude with a yard long hair with an 8 string guitar, jumping from a full stack of cabs !!!

And that's just the visual description!!

Keep the faith, baby!!
dillinger is heavy..its more on the extreme side of things.

i can't get a maxon, i was thinking a Boss SD-1 and a Boss GE-7 or a Delay/chorus. the SD-1 is a definate, i just can't choose between a EQ/Delay/Chorus.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Delay!!!

You've played delay before on your cube right ??

Delay makes your leads sound like your playing on an amp that's twice the price of your current amp !

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by joel_grieve
for instance, its ****ing hard to do pinch harmonics (trust me, i can pinch quite well, just lacks gain)

thank f*ck for that, i thought my pinches had just started to suck

i have the same problem
Page 1 of 2