Is this a good amp for $100? Would this be a big improvement over a cheap branded 10 W amp?
well you will need a cab too which will be like another three hundred bucks
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
its ss...kinda lame in my opinion. just get an epiphone valve jr head instead. Those are REALLY nice
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
its 150 watts, its way better. if you plan on doing a gig ever id say get it, if not get the valve junior, you can mod it to be a really good recording amp, but think of this it has a preamp input on the back so you could get a tube preamp later and get a pretty decent tube sound, still put out 150watts and not have to spend crazy money on a all tube amp...id say go for it, im prolly getting one.
Quote by JET116
its ss...kinda lame in my opinion. just get an epiphone valve jr head instead. Those are REALLY nice

Honestly if I had to choose between the Valve Jr. and the PowerBlock...Id take the power block. Yeah the Valve Jr. is cool, but you get like what...one sound out of it? Unless you spend more for an EQ and and boost.
I was thinkin about gettin one just to put in the van and forget about so that If one of our heads breaks down at a gig, it'll be a decent stand in
yup the powerblock is miles ahead of the valve jr in real life usefulness. its got good enough sound that you can use it until you get a better head, and even then it is the perfect backup.
WHAT?? guys are you kidding?

just spend 60 bucks and get an EQ with the valve jr. Tube distortion at bedroom levels. My friend has it and it roars.

The powerblock is such crap. its gone down in price because no one bought it. stay away. Its a ss peice of crap (unless you're playing reallly heavy stuff). Its tone sucks.

the valve is 5 watts class A. Its loud enough for small gigs. (if you cant afford more than $100 amo then you arent playing big gigs anyway. The jr sounds soo nice.

does anyone have any first hand experiance with the block?
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
Yes.

How can you bash it if you alone are asking for people who have tried it?!?!

It WILL NOT replace a real amp. No way. But it makes a nice backup, and it is super portable, and not a hassle at all.

And for someone with a lower budget, adding a nice processor and get some decent tones out of it.

Would I use it over my Recto? **** NO!! But if I felt I needed a backup, the powerblock would be a great place to look.

For someone who can't afford a recto, it can be a great main amp (with a good remainder of your rig)
^ yeah. The Vavle Jr. is cool, like Ive said before, its got a nice sound...but with just a volume knob it wouldnt be fun after awhile.
How would the block sound with a processor behind it? I'm kicking around the idea of getting one for it's portability, not looking to change my sound just make it louder.
Yea.... I'm reading everyone's comments, and I hear you all. However, I recently purchased the CPB150 at GuitarCenter for 99 bucks. Dude, that's what I was waiting on. Lemme tell you too.... put the PB through a multi effects pedal and she's flippin' worth EVERY penny. I knew I wasn't spending 300 bucks on a SS. So the new price really caught my eye ofcourse. When and IF my amp ever craps out while we're on stage, I'll have that lil bastard as a replacement WITH a multi effects pedal. So I say get one due to portability and price. For what it does, I'm not upset with it at all. WoRd....
Mesa Dual Rec/ Mesa 4X12 cab
01 PRS Custom 22
06 PRS Singlecut Ann.
1965 Fender Mustang
Ibanez acoustic
AceFrehley Epiphone LP
Takamine Explorer
tr-2 tu-2 / EHX DMM / MXR Script Phase 90 / SMM w/ HAZR
WH-1 Whammy / 535Q Crybaby
I use a CPB150 all the time as a power amp. It is very versatile, and the power amp is reliable and clean. It even has an RCA input for playing recorded music between sets. I never use the front input, instead I bypass the pre amp and plug effects into the aux inputs in the back. So the cons are that the pre-amp is bad, and not usable for the type of music I play (clean jazz guitar) but as a small-portable-inexpensive power amp I love it. As long as your effects can boost a pre-amp signal (or you already have a separate pre amp like a tube pre) I recommend it.
You can also use in stereo mode (pezieo pickup through one channel, magnetic pickup through other).
Last edited by BossaBruce at Apr 5, 2015,
Quote by JET116
WHAT?? guys are you kidding?

just spend 60 bucks and get an EQ with the valve jr. Tube distortion at bedroom levels. My friend has it and it roars.

The powerblock is such crap. its gone down in price because no one bought it. stay away. Its a ss peice of crap (unless you're playing reallly heavy stuff). Its tone sucks.

the valve is 5 watts class A. Its loud enough for small gigs. (if you cant afford more than $100 amo then you arent playing big gigs anyway. The jr sounds soo nice.

does anyone have any first hand experiance with the block?

a valve jr. is a simple tube low volume amp. it doesn't have cleans. it doesn't have much gain. its nice at football level tv volumes, but not practical at all for gigging. even with an EQ pedal, it wouldn't be a good option to gig with. yes some people have gigged with fender champs and its fine, but they aren't going for cleans or high gain.

the powerblocks aren't that bad i would use one with a processor if i had to. it went down in price because they are not made anymore, and they are used. used stuff goes cheaper.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/