Who here has of the band Gentle Giant? Great Proggresive rock band. Very unique sound as they use elements of Classical, Medieval, Hard Rock, Jazz and usage of Madrigals in their music. Not to mention they use plenty of different instruments in their compositions.

Check out videos of them on Youtube.
For those who like Yes, ELP, King Crimson etc. You should check these guys out.

For those who alredy know their music, use the thread to discuss albums and what not.

So, to get the ball rolling what is your favourite album from them and why?
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
I've heard of them, but never listened to them. And I love Yes, ELP, and what I've heard of King Crimson. I think I might listen to them right..........NOW
I love Progressive Rock, and continually try to find new bands to listen to.

I have heard of Gentle Giant, and have read about them, but have never found any of their CDs, which is dissapointing.

I hear that they're a lot more complex musically than most other bands, so they're meant for "hardcore" Prog listeners.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I love Progressive Rock, and continually try to find new bands to listen to.

I have heard of Gentle Giant, and have read about them, but have never found any of their CDs, which is dissapointing.

I hear that they're a lot more complex musically than most other bands, so they're meant for "hardcore" Prog listeners.

I would probably go along with your last statement. They aren't easy listening by any stretch. The mix of jazz and medieval music is pretty interesting.

For their more rock stuff, The House, The Street, The Room has one of my favorite riffs ever.

edit: for anyone looking for videos, I like this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWfmfgHXAfE
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Last edited by psychodelia at Sep 29, 2006,
Also at www.progarchives.com you can listen to some songs and read on gentle giant carrer.

And yes, they are little hard to get use to as they have quite complex structeres and time signatures. As well as complex vocal haromies etc.
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
Quote by self-made_page
I guess they re-released like a 30th anniversary edition of some albums recently, and they were only $15 but I didn't know which one to get. What's a good one?

They are all good "Frre Hand", "In A Glass House", and "The Power and the Glory" but if you are getting into them, try "Free Hand"

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=118

You guys can listen to some thier music off this link.
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
Last edited by ratbollocks at Sep 29, 2006,
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
That link is awesome!

I really need to find some of these guys albums, but I doubt many stores have any of their material.

That's what the Internet's for!

You could try www.cdnow.com they sell Gentle Giant.
Spector Legend 4 Custom
Ashton AB-2
Dunlop 105Q Crybaby
Ibanez PD7 Overdrive
SWR LA 15 (dead)
Gallien-Krueger 700RB-II
Gallien-Krueger Neo 212
does anyone know where they got there name from?

I might be crazy, but I believe its from The Silver Chair, which is a book in the Narnia Series by CS Lewis.

well anyway, what CD of them should I get first?
The Power and the Glory is the one I enjoy the most, although other albums probably show off their abilities more.

If you want an awesome riff, find The House, the Street, the Room from Aquiring the Taste. Simply stunning.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
ultrabump for this amazing band

I love Gentle Giant. They're not the easiest band to get into perhaps, but they did make some very funky songs that are relatively accessible (Free Hand, Proclamation, Interview etc) and even became a bit poppy as their career progressed, so it's not all the crazy dissonance you might hear on Octopus for example.

I actually find most of their compositions to be very well fleshed out and structured with excellent use of counterpoint and interesting syncopation. It's very unconventional, but i don't associate it with pretentious prog wankery at all, it has too much quality and structure for that IMHO. And those vocal harmonies are great. The only thing i don't really like about them is Derek's singing, it sounds a bit forced or something. Kerry on the other hand has a beautiful voice.

If i had to pick a favorite album and song, it would be Free Hand and On Reflection. But i like most i've heard, although all of their albums have distinct highs and lows IMHO.
Other Gentle Giant fans on UG?!

Gentle Giant is one of my absolute favourite bands, and Octopus is my favourite album by them. I haven't found any other band that sounds at all similar to them. I find their music is so distinct and varied, that I can listen to their songs 50 times and still discover something new about it the next time I hear it.

Too bad they were never very popular
Quoted from Wikipedia (the sleeve notes of 'Acquiring The Taste'):

The band's onetime stated aim was to "expand the frontiers of contemporary popular music at the risk of becoming very unpopular"

I wish more bands had this attitude!
Hey hey, new to the board, but had to sign up to chime on this awesome band and answer some questions asked earlier, their name is taken from Gargantua and Pantagruel written by a 16'th century french author. And for anyone who likes GG try out US outfit Happy the Man, they are not as good as the Giant, but you can hear they are/were fans Ah and my favorites has to be Interview and In a Glass House.
Last edited by Improbusvisio at Sep 2, 2009,
Why is this only two pages long?!

Gentle Giant are amazing, one of the greatest bands to grace this earth. Acquiring The Taste is an astounding masterpiece.
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
They're good musicians, and their music has its moments. I think their vocals are pretty terrible honestly. Not one of my favourite prog bands
What don't you like about the vocals? I don't really see anything wrong with them, just normal singing.

Sumdeus
I haven't listened to all that much.. just live performances on youtube mainly. My friend showed me an album and it was alot better, but the performances that come up when you search the band on youtube are boarder line terrible as far as the vocals go. It's apparant they're very good musicians though
aah i see. haven't really more live footage than maybe one song, but I never had a problem with the studio vocals.

Sumdeus
Quote by Deplorable
These guys vocal harmonies are amazing, it's hard to believe you could have a problem with them...

It's hard to believe you don't hear what I hear, the first few times I heard them I busted out laughing because I found the vocals so ridiculously aweful

Granted, as I mentioned.. their studio work sounds much better, it's just the youtube videos that made me form this opinion.
haa i didn't think there was a gentle giant thread! im listening to "School Days" as I find this thread. i only have the album "3 Friends". any suggestions on another album i should get of theirs?
'Music is the best"
Zappa
get Acquiring The Taste. Now.

also, the self titled and Octopus are great too

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
get Acquiring The Taste. Now.

also, the self titled and Octopus are great too

damn, i came so close to getting Acquiring the Taste one time at a local record store...i regret it too cause i went back later and it wasnt there. ill have to get it somehow
'Music is the best"
Zappa
haha yeh, definitely look for that shit. It's definitely become one of my favorite prog records.

Sumdeus
I haven't been able to get into them as much. Granted, I've only started listening to them a few weeks ago, and so far the first two records are my favorite. And usually when I get into a band, I start out loving their early stuff and it takes longer for me to get into their later material, so yeah. I'll get there eventually.

Sumdeus
I have their discography and have listened to it all. Free Hand and Power And The Glory didn't strike me as anything amazing, but I'll need to give em a more indepth listen.

Sumdeus
yes i have heard a lil bit of Octopus and was diggin it. plus the artwork is tight :P
'Music is the best"
Zappa
Quote by romencer17
I have their discography and have listened to it all. Free Hand and Power And The Glory didn't strike me as anything amazing, but I'll need to give em a more indepth listen.

You do that Rome.

It's ridiculous how many instruments these guys use...