|-12-12-12----12--15-----||--8-3----5-7-6-5--|----12-15-17-13-15-12-8-10-7-|| 
|----------13-----12-----||--5-1-5--X-X-X-X--|-----X--X--X--X--X-10-6--8-X-|| 
|-11-11-11-11-11--12--12-||--5-X-X--5-7-6-5--|-12-12-16-17-14-16--X-X--X-7-|| 
|------------------------||--5-2-5--3-5-4-3--|-10-10-14-15-12-14-10-7--9-5-|| 
|---------------------10-||------3-----------|--X--------------------------||
|-10-10-10-10-10---------||------------------|-12--------------------------||( X 2 )

Hey, I'm new to the guitar (around 4 months) and I've learned some pretty simple modest mouse songs. Now I'm trying to learn that^ which is Super Mario. I'd like to know the strategies involves as far as strumming goes. I'm using fingers and I kind of grew my nails so it's a little bit easier. I have trouble strumming/playing strings that aren't adjacent which leads me to my second question....

What are chords? 3 or more strings played right? Well what if they're not next to each other? And are there different ways to play the same chord?

example:
Gbsus4/E. base-fret 1 frets x 4 4 4 x 0

And how would I play the C & G chords on this song...
http://ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/t/the_fray/over_my_head_ver2_crd.htm

I'm thinking I just don't know how to read it? X means palm must correct (mario tabs) and on the chords it means don't play/ strum the string? Ahh... thanks for anyone with enough patience to answer my questions.
Last edited by alphamonk at Sep 29, 2006,
you should play the chords how it tells you, it can show you all the chord diagrams at the top of the page so you can learn them.

Juts put your fingers where the X's are.

The o means open string and voila! you have a chord.
Well whad'ya know, it's a female on UG. D:

Shine On, Cast A Shadow.

Quote by hugh20
i love me some fundie christian gayboys

Quote by sglover34479
<3 You = smart.

Quote by XmydyingheartX
you should play the chords how it tells you, it can show you all the chord diagrams at the top of the page so you can learn them.

Juts put your fingers where the X's are.

The o means open string and voila! you have a chord.

do u mean half press the string so no sounds comes out?
yes, the x means to mute the string or don't play it, unless it says palm mute so to play that chord, either barr it on the 4th fret (use your index finger to push down those 3 strings) or play it with three fingers (like an A chord) while muting the strings with the x and the string with the 0 just play it open.
C

e ---|---|---|---|---|
B -x-|---|---|---|---|
G ---|---|---|---|---|
D ---|-x-|---|---|---|
A ---|---|-x-|---|---|
E ---|---|-o-|---|---|

So how do I play E A D B strings without playing G? Will I have to use my fingers? (as opposed to a pick)
Last edited by alphamonk at Sep 29, 2006,
Use your fingers on the hand that you are pushing down on the strings with (fretting hand) to mute the other strings, it takes a lot of pratice to get it down.
Oh, I see, so by muting you only hear the strings that are meant to be heard.. Thanks! Now, I'm off! Thanks