OK so im looking at the Ibanez sr505 and Fender Jazz Mex-both say they are 34' scale but the Ibanez has 24 frets and looks a helluva lot longer than the jazz. What gives?
Quote by airborne_bg
My Washburn also has 24 frets and it has 34' scale. Imagine that the jazz also had 24 frets and i think you'd see they'll be close.

..but are they actually longer or are the frets just wider on a jazz so they are the same length?
more frets=longer neck, but not longer scale...

and it'd be neat to have a 34.5" scale neck
scale doesnt really have anything to do with the amount of fretts, just the spacing of them.

i find my b string is a bit floppy with a 34" inch scale, but i've played some 35" basses like warwicks and its not floppy at all. this is pretty much the main factor, floppyness.

i wouldnt go for anything less than 34"
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
cut of the neck, position of bridge and body style I imagine
ImStrvng2
NeonNites
guitarist-lyricist-vocals
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
more frets=longer neck, but not longer scale...

and it'd be neat to have a 34.5" scale neck

im still a bit confused-ok more frets but is the fingerboard longer on a 24 fret guitar than a 20 fret guitar (or are the frets on a 24 just closer together?
24 fret basses have a longer fingerboard and larger cutaway.

the jazz bass has only 20 frets because they wanted the body a certain shape, which makes it alot more balanced and comfortable to play than most other basses.

but they length from nut to bridge is the same.