does anyone know of a wah wah pedal that will run off a power supply instead of just batteries?
I thought you could just use an AC adapter. There might be some that can't.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
really? i'm really new to electric and a friend of mine told me that he hadn't ever seen a wah that would run off an a/c adaptor. he has a vox and it will only run on battery power.
Hmm. Idk about a wah wah pedal, but I'm pretty sure dist. pedals can.

Sorry I don't know for certain or not.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
yeah i know that distortion pedals and delay pedals and chorus pedals and tuner pedals and flangers and phasers etc etc etc can run on a/c adaptors, i was asking specifically about wah wahs though.

EDIT: after doing some browsing around on MF, it seems that my friend was definitely wrong and there are wah wahs that will run on a/c power. does anybody have any reccomendations or opinions on what the best wah wah pedal are? don't just name one because it's the one you have. i want to know the reasons why you think a certain one is the best. thanks!
I have a crybaby and that will run off an adapter
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"
AZN: no budget, price doesn't really matter. and i haven't gotten my electric yet actually. i'm planning on getting a 72 tele thinline reissue and putting Seymour Duncan '59 PAF pups in it. i'll be getting the guitar sometime in the next month, but i can go ahead and get the wah wah whenever since i have multiple acoustic-electrics. music i play is basically everything except really heavy metal. i play classic rock, punk rock, country, classical, bluegrass, etc. my main influences are probably pink floyd and phish.

EDIT: i looked up the wah that trey anastasio uses (phish's guitarist) and found it on MF, but it got really sketchy reviews. on trey's web page it says he uses the Dunlop GCB95. when i searched for the on MF, it went to the "Dunlop Original Crybaby."
Last edited by jimtaka at Sep 29, 2006,
ummm Dunlop Crybaby 535Q then you can mod it too true bypass to get a hands on feel of the pedal it self
what about that pedal makes you like it better than any others?
the fact that it has a knob that you can change the tonal properties its an easy to mod crybaby runs off ac power.
i'm assuming you own one.... would you say it's pretty durable? the reviews on MF are either really good or really poor saying that it's a very unreliable and not very durable pedal.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
ummm Dunlop Crybaby 535Q then you can mod it too true bypass to get a hands on feel of the pedal it self

I would definatley go with the GCB95 (otherwise known as the original crybaby) I say this because with only a couple of circuit changes you can make it sound sweeter then any other wah pedal out in my opinion, especially with the true bypass mod.

And just to be picky: No pedal runs on A/C Power.... they all run on DC, which is what batteries, or an A/C - DC power supply, supplies.
Quote by rfleury
I would definatley go with the GCB95 (otherwise known as the original crybaby) I say this because with only a couple of circuit changes you can make it sound sweeter then any other wah pedal out in my opinion, especially with the true bypass mod.

And just to be picky: No pedal runs on A/C Power.... they all run on DC, which is what batteries, or an A/C - DC power supply, supplies.

which is why i said a/c adaptor.

and yeah that original crybaby is actually one that i was looking in to but the reviews on MF weren't that great. what's your review?

also, you all keep talking about modding the pedal. isn't there a friggin wah wah that i wouldn't have to mod? i mean surely somebody makes one that has everything right when it comes from the factory.... or is modding pedals like the cool thing to do nowadays?
I have, and can recommend a George Dennis Wah-wah for one simple reason - it's ultra reliable. It's got optical control, so there are no gears to stick/wear out, and no pots to crackle as they get older.
I have a 70's vintage Dunlop crybaby and there is no place to connect an adapter. I'm pretty sure a Godlyke power supply will work though.
anybody have a Vox V848 Clyde McCoy? if you have one or have played one... what do you think?
why would you prefer the GCB95 over the 535Q?
I tested the GCB95 for a week and I found it to be good for funky clean stuff only. With distortion, it sucked balls, in my opinion.
dunlop zakk wylde crybaby is pretty good to me, but i am not very wah savy i just use it for fun
The reason I reccommend the GCB95 is due to how cheap it is, and how easy it is to make it sound better then most other pedals... Why pay 120 for a pedal, when you can buy one for 70 and mod it for 5 bucks to sound better then the 120 one? If you want to spend more money I guess you can go for the other one though.
mod it for 5 bucks making it better than the 535Q?

well that'd surprise me, the Q knob on the 535Q alone makes it worth the extra 50!

oh and over here the prcies are a bit nutty, the GCB95 costs 150 euros in a local shop, so thank god for musicstore Köln!
Quote by jimtaka
which is why i said a/c adaptor.

and yeah that original crybaby is actually one that i was looking in to but the reviews on MF weren't that great. what's your review?

also, you all keep talking about modding the pedal. isn't there a friggin wah wah that i wouldn't have to mod? i mean surely somebody makes one that has everything right when it comes from the factory.... or is modding pedals like the cool thing to do nowadays?

Well then maybe I wasnt talking about you then.
ive been using a behringer hell babe wah latley...and for 30 buck.....that pedal surprised the hell out of me
Quote by JorisBlack
mod it for 5 bucks making it better than the 535Q?

well that'd surprise me, the Q knob on the 535Q alone makes it worth the extra 50!

oh and over here the prcies are a bit nutty, the GCB95 costs 150 euros in a local shop, so thank god for musicstore Köln!

Yeah the knob is helpful, in fact I added the knob to my GCB95 pedal. Its just a variable reistor that you put in place of a fixed resistorm and I believe I got it for around 5 online.
Quote by jimtaka
anybody have a Vox V848 Clyde McCoy? if you have one or have played one... what do you think?

Hey, I've got one, and I think it's truly amazing, it's perfect for me (I play Hendrix, Cream, RHCP), sounds best with an overdrive pedal running over the clean channel.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by rfleury
Yeah the knob is helpful, in fact I added the knob to my GCB95 pedal. Its just a variable reistor that you put in place of a fixed resistorm and I believe I got it for around 5 online.

ouch, you got me there

but still, not everybody has the knowledge or technique to mod a pedal themself.