i've got a dynamic mic and i want to know where the best place to put it for when i recording my acoustic without me knocking it down while strumming
about 6 inches away from the sound whole, toward the left

edit: oh....dynamic...hmm not completely sure...i usually use a condensor mic for acoustic
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
just experiment around the sound hole
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
I use 2 mics in an x-y pattern. They are positioned at the same height as the fretboard. One mic points toward your fingers and picks up sound off of your fretboard. The other points toward your bridge. I usually move them around a little bit to get the sound I'm looking for, then I balance the two mics out - more soundhole than fret noise. Tinker to make it sound natural.

Another way that is cool is to put a mic behind you pointing over your shoulder. Pretend the mic is your ear. What does your guitar sound like if you put your face in front of the sound hole? Why would you put a mic there.

A good engineer will walk around the player and listen to the instrument from different angles and heights. When he finds a good spot, he puts the mic there.

There is no right or wrong, but mic placement will change the sound of the guitar. These are just some starting points.
Quote by Wasted Resource
Another way that is cool is to put a mic behind you pointing over your shoulder. Pretend the mic is your ear. What does your guitar sound like if you put your face in front of the sound hole? Why would you put a mic there.

That's sort of like binaural recording. Where a model head is made and mics are put in both ears. Doesn't work that well for speakers, but for headphones it's amazing.
The more you know, the less you understand.
last.fm
http://www.taylorguitars.com/see-hear/

Performance Tips/Maintenance -> Acoustic Guitar Recording

There's also alot of other cool videos on that site. Like the whole production process of Taylor guitars.

I have a Shure C606N dynamic mic and I've tried recording with it but it has to be REALLY close to the guitar. The guy at the shop told me that since I don't have a preamp or any other recording equipment (other than my computer), it didn't really matter if I had a 30? mic (the one I have) or a 120? mic (SM57 that I was going to buy).
The rules for a dynamic mic are the same as for a condenser. About 6 inches away from the soundboard, aim the mic at the soundhole. You can move it around a bit for effect. Having it directly in front of the soundhole will give you a sound that is a bit more dry but it'll also have more cut and clarity. Offsetting the mic will make it sound more ambiant and warmer but with less clarity.
Not taking any online orders.
When I recorded my Ovation, went stereo out from pedal board. Also used 2x AKG C1000's. Placed one at about fretboard height, to my right, pointing at my hand. Second one was set up behind me, also to my right, facusing on about the same spot as the mic in front of me. The recorded sound was amazing. 4 chanels. The sound is amazingly warm and huge. Hope this helps. Cheers
I've never done it myself, but i was reading a magazine with recording tips the other day and they mentioned the best place to put a condenser mic is where the neck and body join. As I said, I haven't done it myself so take that with a pinch of salt.