i need some advice from those of you who have a fair amount of experience with amps and tones. i'm purchasing a new amp soon and have a couple of ideas, but i dont want to make the mistake (again) of buying an amp that doesn't suit my style of play. I have:
Fender American Strat, noiseless pickups in the neck/mid, a seymour duncan humbucker in the bridge. I currently play through a Fender Hot-Rod Deluxe. The clean channel on that amp sounds great, but I can not get the type of distorted tone that I want. I play rock, punk, a LITTLE metal, ska, jazz, and funk. My band plays small/medium venues and we have our own sound system which I'll be miked through, so I'll probably just be getting a combo amp, but one of the best and most versatile. I've been reading a lot of reviews of Mesa/Boogie combos (mainly the 50 and 100 watt ones) and lots of people seem to be very satisfied with these amps. I want sparkling clean tone and a versatile distorted channel for mainly rhythm playing... I have to be a solid presence amongst the six other members of my band (horns, keyboards, etc). Any advice would be much appreciated

Let me just add one thing- a few shows ago I played on a friend's Crate GLX (120 watt solid-state amp with lots of effects) going through a Mesa 4x12 cab and it was exactly the tone I was going for. Roaring distortion even with the gain not high, the tone was sensitive to my dynamics, it was full and wide, and the clean was pristine. So again- I'd like to reproduce this tone and sensitivity without spending $2,000... would a Mesa combo do this for me or was the amazing tone more due to the fact that I was playing through a Mesa cab? Thanks
Last edited by alex1fly at Sep 29, 2006,
^ how much cash do you have? enough for the f-series? EDIT: what's the duncan humbucker?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?