Page 1 of 2
So, after 'settling' for a Dean ZX, my budget has been raised to 400 pounds! This is great, meaning I'd be able to get an even better guitar... but it begs the question, WHAT guitar? I'd like to get a hard case too.

I play punky stuff, influenced mostly by Tsunami Bomb, AFI, Calabrese and The Misfits. I use a Randall RG50TC, so no amp upgrade is necessary at the moment methinks! Even though I use an Ibanez GRG at the moment, I really don't like strat/superstrat shapes, they just don't suit me.

Suggestions?
What to do with that money? Give it to me, of course.

What's that equal in American anyway?
Don't bother with American stuff, it's not a simple conversion. Guitars cost different prices here. I tried a tele, not enough gain. I need a bridge humbucker! No trem, either. I don't like trems.
Standard Les Paul?
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
Quote by _Marooned_
Standard Les Paul?

I could always aford an Epiphone Les Paul Custom! It would have to be the arctic white one used by Lars Frederiksen from Rancid!

Only thing that worries me is the mixed tonewoods...
give it to me.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Any suggestions that aren't 'give it to me?'

No
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Quote by Garci
No

Go back to the pit.

How's the Epiphone LP custom? Would it just sound a little bit brighter than a regular LP?
Quote by timi_hendrix
I guess you use quite a bright sound for your style of music so it wouldn't matter too much anyway

Exactly, hence the reason why the LP custom is becomming a more and more attractive choice for me. Is this why Rancid and MCR favour them over the Gibsons, because of the brighter tone that the alder gives, but it has the beef of mahogany still there? I'd also imagine the alder reduces the weight a bit, amirte?

The Epiphone looks more and more attractive to me...
Quote by Aidy Damage
Exactly, hence the reason why the LP custom is becomming a more and more attractive choice for me. Is this why Rancid and MCR favour them over the Gibsons, because of the brighter tone that the alder gives, but it has the beef of mahogany still there? I'd also imagine the alder reduces the weight a bit, amirte?

The Epiphone looks more and more attractive to me...

Last time I checked, MCR were mainly using elitist LPs, whic are full mahogany, and Rancid used mainly semi-hollows or hollowbodies. But I think your ideas about the Alder/mahogany makes sense. I'm not too sure about the weight thing, because I've picked up some pretty heavy strats made from alder. I doubt it'd make a lot of difference weight wise.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Last time I checked, MCR were mainly using elitist LPs, whic are full mahogany, and Rancid used mainly semi-hollows or hollowbodies. But I think your ideas about the Alder/mahogany makes sense. I'm not too sure about the weight thing, because I've picked up some pretty heavy strats made from alder. I doubt it'd make a lot of difference weight wise.

Oh, ok. Sounding like the LP custom's the way to go for me at the moment. Has to be the white one.
Quote by timi_hendrix
Racist >_>

"Racist" i second that lol...
Amp/Effects:

Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Tc-Electronic G-system
Line6 DM4

Guitars:

EBMM JP6 BFR
EBMM JP7
Taylor 314ce
LP custom, LP standard, LP black beauty, G400 SG, Tony Iommi SG (If you want more of a 70s 80s style tone)

or you could spread to other companies like Jackson, stick to the JS range if you dont want a trem, you could get the kelly, King V, RR V, or the super strat type one
I definately think I'm going with the les paul custom, even though my choice of colours might be racist
Quote by Cocnut Rag
Buy a dog.

I have a dog I should post pics of her in the gear thread
Why not just spend the £400 on upgrades for your Dean ZX? assuming that you think it's worth the bother, you could get a nice set of pickups for £100.
Quote by Mr Songwriter
Why not just spend the £400 on upgrades for your Dean ZX? assuming that you think it's worth the bother, you could get a nice set of pickups for £100.

I don't have the Dean ZX. One thing I could do is get a PRS Billy Martin SE (the other one I was looking at) and a 100 quid wireless system... I could do with a wireless.
PRS Necks are a love-hate thing. I really like them, but a lot of people don't.

Personally I'd go with the Epi, because you don't *need* a wireless. And you have to pay a lot for one that doesn't suck your tone.

And the PRS is black >_>

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Sep 30, 2006,
Quote by timi_hendrix
PRS Necks are a love-hate thing.

Personally I'd go with the Epi, because you don't *need* a wireless. And you have to pay a lot for one that doesn't suck your tone.

And the PRS is black >_>

On the Epi LP Customs that I've seen in the shops, the binding at the end of the fretboard looks really, really iffy... is that common for all Epi LP customs? I like my binding to be clean and neat or nonexistant.
Well, today I spent 400£ on an ibanez S470dxqm, and so far really couldn't be happier

edit- wow, might've wanted to read the first post a bit better, sorry s470 is superstrat. sorry.
Last edited by metadrix at Sep 30, 2006,
Quote by Aidy Damage
On the Epi LP Customs that I've seen in the shops, the binding at the end of the fretboard looks really, really iffy... is that common for all Epi LP customs? I like my binding to be clean and neat or nonexistant.

I think it may have just been that model - you will get lemons put out by Epi, you get them from gibson too. You should check out some more, ask the shop if they have any more customs in stock.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
I think it may have just been that model - you will get lemons put out by Epi, you get them from gibson too. You should check out some more, ask the shop if they have any more customs in stock.

Not that shop... they sell them for 700 pounds >.>
Quote by Aidy Damage
Not that shop... they sell them for 700 pounds >.>

Who said you had to buy one?

Just say "Oh no, I forgot to feed my cats!" and run out of the shop.

My Music
ibanez makes some good ones...the SZ series sounds perfect for you.

EDIT: the S/SZ series definitely isn't superstrat...the bodies are completely different. 100x more comfortable.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by timi_hendrix
Who said you had to buy one?

Just say "Oh no, I forgot to feed my cats!" and run out of the shop.

They know me in there. They know I'm the one who goes in every day and never buys anything.

Such a complicated price range... I want something that I'm going to be able to do a UK tour with, which is what my band are doing next year... so I need a reliable guitar.

Are there any other guitars you'd suggest, timi?
Quote by Aidy Damage
They know me in there. They know I'm the one who goes in every day and never buys anything.

Such a complicated price range... I want something that I'm going to be able to do a UK tour with, which is what my band are doing next year... so I need a reliable guitar.

Are there any other guitars you'd suggest, timi?

*resists urge to recommend an SZ*

I think the Epi would be a good choice. They're nice all round guitars, and look pretty too

The switches are slightly prone to breaking, but I've only heard of it on here and not from my friends who own them.

For other guitars, maybe a Tokai LP copy? I think they're called Love Rocks, they're very nice to play.

It's a shame LTD are so expensive over here, because they're nice guitars too.

Some corts are worth looking into. I played a Z-Custom (That's a model name, not a ripoff of J-customs) a few weeks ago and it was really nice. Plus, it comes with SDs and a coil tap stock, which is always good.

But it might be way expensive, there was no price tag on it.

Have a look around gak.co.uk and post anything that catches your eye.

EDIT: Godin LG with Emgs going for £400

I'm not sure if they'll deliver it to cambridge, they're based in leamington...

But have a look all the same.

http://www.guitars.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Godin_LG_ESP.html

My Music
Last edited by timi_hendrix at Sep 30, 2006,
Wow, that Godin looks just a bit orgasmic! How does it feel? Will I get my desired Tsunami Bomb/AFI tone? I'm assuming those EMGs have a lot of oomph, and Justin Sane from Anti Flag uses them... so yeah.

Cheers for the Godin recommendation! Whenever I see your name beside a post it makes my heart skip a beat with joy.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Wow, that Godin looks just a bit orgasmic! How does it feel? Will I get my desired Tsunami Bomb/AFI tone? I'm assuming those EMGs have a lot of oomph, and Justin Sane from Anti Flag uses them... so yeah.

I played an LG with P90s, and it felt nice. The strings were crap, so I couldn't give a very accurate judgement, but it did feel quite good and solidly built. I'm not too sure about the EMGs, you should ask someone who has experience with them as I haven't played them all that much.

Email the Regent guitars guys (thats the shop the website's for) to see if there's been any interest in it.

The shop's right next to my college, so if the godin's still there by monday I can try it out. I've been meaning to go there anyway...

Quote by Aidy Damage
Cheers for the Godin recommendation! Whenever I see your name beside a post it makes my heart skip a beat with joy.

Stop looking for a sig

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
I played an LG with P90s, and it felt nice. The strings were crap, so I couldn't give a very accurate judgement, but it did feel quite good and solidly built. I'm not too sure about the EMGs, you should ask someone who has experience with them as I haven't played them all that much.

Email the Regent guitars guys (thats the shop the website's for) to see if there's been any interest in it.

The shop's right next to my college, so if the godin's still there by monday I can try it out. I've been meaning to go there anyway...

Stop looking for a sig

Surely 'cos they're an online dealer they'll have more than 1, or can order 1 for me by December 5th?

I think it's sae to say I've made my final decision
Quote by Aidy Damage

Surely 'cos they're an online dealer they'll have more than 1, or can order 1 for me by December 5th?

I think it's sae to say I've made my final decision

They're just a regular guitar shop with a website, and that guitar's on special offer.

So I'd jump on it pretty soon, if I were you

EDIT: Yep, they have them lsted on there for £550 O_O

This one must be the floor model.

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
They're just a regular guitar shop with a website, and that guitar's on special offer.

So I'd jump on it pretty soon, if I were you

EDIT: Yep, they have them lsted on there for £550 O_O

This one must be the floor model.

Ah. I'm a bit apprehensive about floor models.

Any other guitars in the price range that you'd reccomend that would have EMGs/cheaper guitars I could maybe upgrade (maybe if I orered them from the same place they'd take the hint and install the new p/us for me...)?
Page 1 of 2