hey all, i just bought my first router, and i really don't know how to use it. it's a plunge, with a 1 1/2 HP motor. do you use it in a zig zag pattern or do you carve out the outline of the cavity and route the rest of the inside. if anyone has a link to a video, or just some advice on how to operate it, that would be great. thanks in advance.
GEAR:
Peavey 6505
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez WD7 Wah
custom 5150 les paul

check out my first guitar build, the razorback!
Official Member of the I <3 Schecter's Club, PM Schecter-06 to join.
inside out I'm pretty sure
Quote by bambi_slaughter

how do you get a baby in a tupperwear container?
use the blender.
how do you get it out again?
tostitos.
www.ehow.com/how_12158_router.html
http://router-guides.com/topics/how-to-use-a-router.html

*5 second google search*

Edit to be abit more helpful:

What i normally do is remove the bulk of the wood from the cavity by drilling a series of holes with a forstner bit, then clean up the route with the router use a template and a bearing router bit.

A template makes the job much cleaner, spend the time making a good ply or MDF template. I can't think of a time when i would freehand ra route on one of my guitars.

When using a router take shallow passes to avoid tearout and putting unneeded stress on the bits. Your buts will last longer and you routes will be cleaner.

Quality router bits are a must, they will last longer, do and better job and are safer.

Dave
Last edited by dave293 at Sep 29, 2006,
ive always cut around the outside, leaveing about a quarter inch between my cut and the outside line, then do the middle and then do a really clean finish cut on the outside to bring it to size, its always worked for me but i have a 5hp plunging router so maby you should work up to the maximum depth to keep your rpm up.

oh and watch your fingers because it will take them clean off, no questions asked.
ive always cut around the outside, leaveing about a quarter inch between my cut and the outside line, then do the middle and then do a really clean finish cut on the outside to bring it to size, its always worked for me but i have a 5hp plunging router so maby you should work up to the maximum depth to keep your rpm up.

oh and watch your fingers because it will take them clean off, no questions asked.

How much did that 5HP Router set you back sempri_fi ?
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
i dont remember let me check

edit: ok bummer, that was my skill saw that was 5 hp, my router runs about 270 bucks online from where i can see, its a dewalt 3 hp vs, craxy ass router though goes through prettymuch anything it seems. me and my dad bought it so we could cutout the walls of an 60s airstream trailer, as well as the cabnets and stuff, all real nice birch ply so we needed a nice router.
Last edited by sempri_fi at Sep 29, 2006,