hey everyone, first of all let me apologise to the mods as this is not a bass thing, so you may close it. but it's something i wanted to share which i think people may appreciate, and as this is my main forum i thought i would put it here

basically, i got annoyed recently at always having to push refresh to see if there was any new comments/threads while i was practicing. So i wrote some code to do it for me. this will work whatever your browser, as it basically sends an F5 keystroke to the active window.

the code is here

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Do While 1=1

WScript.Sleep 5000

WshShell.SendKeys "{F5}"

Loop

basically, you open up notepad and paste that in there, then save it as something like auto-refresh.vbs to your desktop

you HAVE to save it as .VBS, otherwise it will just be a notepad doc with text in. and thats crap.

once you've done that, just double click the icon now on your desktop and then make your browser the active window. et voila!!!

and before people say it, yes i know firefox has an extension that can do this, and yes i know Opera can do this, and yes i know you can get IE shells that do this. But some people like IE, and thats a fact.

Hope some people find it useful.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE 5000 EQUATES TO MILLISECONDS. FOR THOSE THAT DONT KNOW, THERE ARE 1000 MILLISECONDS IN ONE SECOND, SO THERE ARE 60000 IN A MINUTE. HOWEVER MANY MINUTES YOU WANT THE REFRESH RATE SET AT, JUST DO X x 60000. SO FIVE MINUTES IS 5 x 60000 = 300000

also, when you want to stop it, kill the wscript.exe in task manager or just shut machine down as normal.

Enjoy.
If you want, I could move it into site feedback. Or maybe the UG team could develop an auto-refresh button on the forums.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
see, you could use java script to easily set a refresh on each page, or even a meta refresh, but then it would affect everyone. i guess you could create a button which launches some code. that would be very cool.

Dont move this yet Inky? Let some people see it, they may get use out of it? I know i have.
Wait, so that code basically refreshes the page every 5 seconds?

Cool, but I think it could get annoying if your comp is slow to load pages.
yes, it does. but as i said, you change it to suit your needs, so change it to a higher interval if you want !!
Quote by Mongoose87
Becareful not to crash the servers...

1 request every 5 seconds? they must get a couple of thousand in that time through normal forum browsing.

and nice job by the way. Visual Basic code i do believe.

by the way, whats with the do while 1=1? was that just an easy way for you to get it to constantly run the script?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by IndieMetalhead
1 request every 5 seconds? they must get a couple of thousand in that time through normal forum browsing.

and nice job by the way. Visual Basic code i do believe.

by the way, whats with the do while 1=1? was that just an easy way for you to get it to constantly run the script?

yes, that creates a loop.. the interval is the pause between each one. 5000 was just for me to test it works, i didnt want to wait five minutes every time! I suggest changing that value to maybe 180000 (three mins) or even 300000 (five mins).

Quote by Mongoose87
Becareful not to crash the servers...

Dude, you cannot crash a server by reloading the web page. People are reloading it anyway, but they have to hit refresh on their keyboard or browser, this just does it for them!!
Quote by IpwnONBass
how do you stop it?

you stop it by reading the god damn post properly.
Ahhh someone who knows their programming, and i thought i was the only f**king bass player who was studying java, javascript & c++ in college.

I dont feel like such a weirdo anymore

A nice bit of code for a nice idea Applehead
Bass Guitars:
Warwick - Corvette $$
Gibson Thunderbird IV
Tanglewood - Warrior II
Stagg - Semi Acoustic Bass

Amp:
Behringer BX3000T Head
Behringer BB115 Cabinet
As Michael Jackson said once.. 'You are not alone.."
I'm a techy in my job btw!

hope you get some use out of it!!
Quote by hexagram244
Ahhh someone who knows their programming, and i thought i was the only f**king bass player who was studying java, javascript & c++ in college.)

I've done visual basic, and i'm learning java. VB is like walking compared to java.

i'm gonna hate my ; key by the end of the year

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by Applehead
Now that depends on how complex your VB scripts are!!

lol. very true.

on that note, i downloaded VB6. i did have it on CD from college, but it vanished

Quote by metaldud536