Hi what an alt chord?? formula and any other usefull information e.g musical examples would be helpful
An alt chord is a dominant chord(1, 3, 5, b7) with at least one (could be one, could be more) of the following extensions: b9, #9, b5, #5. It functions as a dominant chord, with more tension being created from the extensions. Therefore, it resolves 'better' to the next chord (usually a fourth up/fifth down)

That's the basics
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
ahh that makes alot of sense. say you had a C7b5 would you call it that or could you call it Calt??
I'd say Calt.

See of it this way, EVERY alt chord functions as a dominant. Would you rather read something like C7b9#9b5 or Calt?
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
ok i think i understand. but if you saw Calt you coulnt tell which notes needed flatting or sharping right??
That's right. That's up to yourself, perhaps you can make up sweet voicings so it connects the chord before the alt and the chord after the alt a lot better
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
That's right. That's up to yourself, perhaps you can make up sweet voicings so it connects the chord before the alt and the chord after the alt a lot better

thanks for the help, i;ve been looking into the these chords alot more today and i have come up with some pretty cool stuff.