I'll just use power chords for this, since they're easiest to work with...

I know that the key of the song is determined by the chord that the song is based on. However, what if we have something like this:

e-------------|---------------|------------
B-------------|---------------|------------
G-------------|---------------|------------
D----2-2-2-2--|----3-3-3-3----|----5-5-5-5-
A----2-2-2-2--|----3-3-3-3----|----5-5-5-5-
E----0-0-0-0--|----1-1-1-1----|----3-3-3-3-

Base chord is Emin, but the F and G chords would show up in the E Phrygian mode.

So, would we say the key is A minor/C major, or do we say E minor with that F chord just being out of key?
Its not really that simple. it all depends on how you play them, which one you resolve to, what scales you use over them. its difficult to determine an exact key signature from just 3 power chords.
Quote by bluewilliams
Its not really that simple. it all depends on how you play them, which one you resolve to, what scales you use over them. its difficult to determine an exact key signature from just 3 power chords.

So, I basically have to figure out a better way to ask my question?
Go look up the Circle of Fifths

"Fifths"
Last edited by suddenspasm at Sep 29, 2006,
Quote by suddenspasm
Go look up the Circle of Fifths

How is that going to help me? I know what the circle of fifths is for, and I don't see how it pertains to my question.
well in that case there isnt enough information to definitely work out a key signature.
you're right in saying it's a phrygian if the f and g are major (IV and V), but it really depends on the other notes and the resolution. band geek secret: a great deal of 20th century band and orchestral pieces are just shown as being a c major but actually don't have much of a key, they're purely chromatic; so it doesn't matter all that much if you figure out what sounds good. for naysayers, just think of a song like marshall tucker's "can't you see" technically it's d mixolydian (Gmajor), but the flute solo in the beginning does't seem to be in on it. just listen.
net says its E Phrygian so its E Phrygian, i hate theory i just like to wank on blues penta
I would say thats E phrygian. And the base chord is not Em its E5.

Why would you need more notes? You've got six - 1 b2 b3 5 b6 b7, I'd say that lines up pretty well with phrygian.

Of course, I may have missed the point completely and be utterly wrong.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by -=Led_Hed=-
net says its E Phrygian so its E Phrygian, i hate theory i just like to wank on blues penta

I don't think E Phrygian can be used as a key.

Quote by Ænimus Prime
I would say thats E phrygian. And the base chord is not Em its E5.

Why would you need more notes? You've got six - 1 b2 b3 5 b6 b7, I'd say that lines up pretty well with phrygian.

If it's in Phrygian, then the chord formed from it would be a minor chord, which is why I said the base chord is Em.

Maybe if I tried not tabbing out the chords, because that's confusing people...

Say I have a progression that goes Em, F, and G, like I had in the first post. The notes in the chords would imply the Phrygian mode (Em=E, G, B, F=F, A, C, G=G, B, D), but, from what I've read on this forum, the key is determined by the base chord.

Now, the base chord is Em, so by that rule, the key should be E minor. However, the key of E minor has no F chord (it's an F# diminished, don't know how to write that). The key of C major/A minor does have that F chord.

What key am I in?
E phrygian is a minor-based mode, so technically it could be considered minor in it's own right
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
its in d dorian.

thats when you say "wow! how insightful Glen'sHeroicAct! i cant believe i didnt see it before!" and i say "omg, are you serious??? i just blurted out some random mode! you're kidding!" but seriously. why worry yourself over something that isnt even applicable to a real situation.. why dont you just forget about it until you actually have a song that you wanna play to but are having trouble figuring out the key.
Last edited by Glen'sHeroicAct at Sep 30, 2006,