Page 1 of 3
Well I defreted my squier P-Bass ages ago and me being there kind of person who cant leave a thing alone decided to take it to the next level of modding. I wanna make it a bit more Metal. So im getting a flammed maple top, jazz pup for the bridge, shaping it to be more extreme and maybe bindign on the neck.

First heres a few pics of the defretting work.

The bass after the defreting.

Taking hardware off:
Got all the hardware off:
Paint's stripped:

Reshaping the bass:
Last edited by Justin Credible at Dec 7, 2006,
Looks nice so far. Be sure to keep us updated.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Looks sick, keep it coming.

Makes me want to take apart my bass and do a better job with the defretting...

Fck it im going to go do it now.
Looking very nice indeed. Fake ebonise that fretboard!
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I wouldn't fake ebonize it. That black dye has been known to rub off.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I just used black wood stain on my fretboard this morning. It kind of ate away at my fret markers (just wood putty) but here's what it looks like.

It could be a bit blacker, when it's dried for a bit longer I'll give it another one or two coats of stain
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Nice. is it six string? It looks really wide to me. Nice none the less.

Anways im just wating on my jazz pup. I have the flammed maple already and I've finished shaping the bass. I'll try to get some pics of that progress later.
I wouldn't change a thing on that fretboard.... looks great as is.
Hai UG!
very nice
Voodoo Fest 2008 <3

Quote by DieGarbageMan
SILENCE.

SURSKIT DECIDES YOUR GENDER NOW.
Just FWIW, the paint isn't completely stripped, there's still a layer of clear sealer on the body, it's pretty visible from the pics.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Yea I'm just keeping it there so I can accuratly judge where im rounding the body out. I'll sand that off when I go to paint it. Thanks anyways.

Quote by L_Z_Nut
I wouldn't change a thing on that fretboard.... looks great as is.

I'm probably gonna add binding. The depth of the maple strips isnt uniform through out the neck. That and binding pwns.
Last edited by Justin Credible at Oct 1, 2006,
Yea I'm just keeping it there so I can accuratly judge where im rounding the body out. I'll sand that off when I go to paint it. Thanks anyways.
As soon as you're done with the shaping, and you go to sand off the sealer you're going to round the edges of your shaping and it's going to look messed up. You unfortunatly did it backwards, you sand the tops done first, then do the bevels.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Yea it would mess it up but I had to take 1/4 inch off the top for the maple so it'll all be fine. Anyways heres what I have accomplished up to this point.

I finally cut out the flammed maple. used the whole carbon paper deal to get the right shape and what not. For $40 its quite the ncie piece of flammed maple.

I routed the top down 1/4 inch to accomodate the top. Also routed the cavity for the jazz pup and ground wire.
THen i clamped everythign together because it was poping up all over the place.

Now i've finally decided on a colour but I need some help getting a look like this:
cool progect!
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
For that finish, I'm not sure if you would stain and then burst, or burst and then stain. Follow this up with a LOT of clear to get it nice and shiny =)
i thought the original colour w/ pickguard looked pretty metal already, pity that had to go as a result of your wanting to reshape it.

very good so far.

are you gonna paint the headstock? EVERYONE should paint their headstock.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

The 'Black Cherry' finish can be obtained two ways. You can dye the top a REAL dark black, let it sit for a few hours and sand it back until you can see the original color of the wood. There should be some black left in 'low' areas of the figure. Then, you'd have to mix up some tinted lacquer, prefferably a red with a few drops of black in it. Spray that red until you acheive even coverage, spray 7 coats of clear, then spray the black burst on the edges. Follow this up with 20+ coats of clear & buff.

You can also dye the top black, sand it back a lot & dye the top red. You may have some bleeding, so you'd better practice on scrap. Sometimes the black will turn the red a real nasty color. Shoot 7 coats of clear, then spray the burst around the edges.

Regardless, you should be practicing on scrap no matter what you spray.

Chris
Quote by dave293
^ You can never have enought clamps.

oto rtue my freind

minted bass my freind, R u gonna change the p/g color or just not gonna have one at all, sounds like an idea since it would be a disgrace to ruin a lovley flamed maple top with a p/g.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Oct 10, 2006,
Quote by Justin Credible
Nah I'm not using the pickguard again. And thanks again for the advice Algee.

To be hounest,the pickgaurd was sweet.
But it's your bass and you make the descions.

One way or another,I bet it will looks sweet.
Ok so it's been a while so I gotta few updates. Life is so busy Inever get time for these things.

First of all T got the top glued shapped routed and stained. The bridge is leveled with the top because I was having a big proplem with high action. The controls are ready to be mounted, im going for voilume 3 way switch, then tone.

Instead of having the jack being a pain in the ass on front I'm mounting it on the side. That way there'll be less cords breakling on me.

The head is not done with flame maple as well just needs to be finished. Although my router was beign a bitch and did this to the corner:

And here's the last problem I've encountered. The bass wasnt made very well being a squier obviously and the joint wasn't as tight as I thought it was. Of course I just leveled the top with it and its not a clean fit. I'm debating wether to leave it or fill it in some how.
Nothing has really happened in the last month really. I've managed to grain fill teh body and thats abotu it. Hoping to start painting saturday IF I can get the time.
That looks great

I love the flamed top.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
I think you are officially insane for even planning on pulling this off

a FMT...on a SQUIER!!

WTF?!??!?!

..just kidding! since you put a FMT on, why dont you make it even more insane

like put a preamp in and a humbucker in the neck position or something

anyhow. great job, Im sure this is going to turn out really nice
Well you see there's this thing we call money and I don't have any. I already spent what I could on this. IF I did. It would be a hell of a lot nicer. Anyways, I got the red done and I'm actually wating for the second clear coat to dry now. Ill try and get some pics up soon but I'm "studying" for a math test.
Woo looks good man, im waiting for pics......
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
i wanna see the finished product hurry up with sum pics man, i love the retless, how does it play?
bass - That thing that goes bum bum bum.
Finally got my computer to upload these pics. The colour turned out realyl nice. Very close to what I want. It's a shame the colour of these photos arn't really too accurate. The colour i have is probably closest to the third picture, but again that depends on your monitor. Anyways enjoy. I'll get this clearcoat sanded down a bit so its glossy smooth then do the black.

Page 1 of 3