So I was reading some chatter about who likes active pickups and who hates them. What stood out is not only do some folks not like active EMGs, but those who do like them have near-violent disagreement about which model is good and which one bites. Some say "Get the 81/85 combo"...but someoen else always says "No way; 60 is better than 85" So which is it, or rather what reason do you have for your preference?

And no I do not have anyreason besides how there can be such a disagreement. I am not shopping for new pickups.

i have an 81/85 combo. 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck. i just like the sound the 85 in the neck gives me for a solo. its smooth and just kind of flows better. ive been told that an 85 sounds good in a bridge position too, so next time i change my strings im gonna flip em around and see how they sound.
Go get your shovel.
It really depends what kind of tone you are trying to achive. I have EMG-HZ's (don't ask numbers, not sure) that came with my DKMGT Dinky, by Jackson. It gives me a really bluesy tone (Marshall Halfstack), really warm and nice.
Quote by Abbott
It really depends what kind of tone you are trying to achive. I have EMG-HZ's (don't ask numbers, not sure) that came with my DKMGT Dinky, by Jackson. It gives me a really bluesy tone (Marshall Halfstack), really warm and nice.

they are most likely H4's
Go get your shovel.
81/60 = James Hetfield
81/85 = average metal band
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
I hate actives. Just make sure they work for you before you invest in them. I find them sterile and toneless.

That's the sound I want. Being in that kind of band, makes me want them like no other. Although I have numerous guitars, and there's no chance any other of them are getting Actives.

On that note, is there any pickup that has that distinctive "toneless and sterile" EMG sound?
^Yeah, I'm also looking for a similar combination, just less toneless and sterile.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Gymmeh
That's the sound I want. Being in that kind of band, makes me want them like no other. Although I have numerous guitars, and there's no chance any other of them are getting Actives.

On that note, is there any pickup that has that distinctive "toneless and sterile" EMG sound?

Bareknuckles ftw, miracle man/cold sweat combo.
81's are generally for lead.
85's are generally for rhythm.
60's are generally for cleans.

But this definitely isn't true all the time, just kind of what they sound best with IMO.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

I hate actives, way too bright sounding, and they sound like im running my axe through a processor, i prefer ceramics for high output, they still sound a little cold, but nowhere near as bad as actives.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
81/85
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
for sure 81/60 or the duncan livewire dave mustaine active <- also gr8 active pickups

My Gear:
Epihone Gothic X-plorer+EMGS 81/60
Jackson WARRIOR JS30+EMGS 81/60(soon will be installed)
Randall G2 series RG75 75watt
Behringer X V-Amp