OK, So today, I was given a Classical guitar by my School teacher, and this guitar has been at my school since 1979, and is apparently made by an old Canadian company Kamouraska (I haven't got a clue either, Don't worry.)

Basically, this guitar is Unplayable right now. The top is cracked, to the point that the bridge has started sinking, and the action is impossible to play with.

For this, Basically, I would like to:

-Replace the Top (If at all possible )
-If I can Replace the top, Instead of a Large sound hole, I'd put in the ones like they have on the Ovation Acoustics.
-Scallop the Neck (which I do to all of my Guitars
-Add some kind of decoration to the Fretboard. Since it's Scallopped, my finger's won't be touching it, so what I use isn't that big of a deal for that. (Maybe Steve Vai's Tree of Life drawn on?)

All I need to know right now, Is if it is even possible to Replace the top on it, and move the bridge over too a new top which I'll put in.

I'm in Tech class right now, And I've got access to practically anything I would need for most of this work.

I'd like to give this back to my teacher when I'm done, as He's retiring soon, and I've learned alot from him.

Pics will come soon of teh cracked top and such, My camera is dead right now.
Quote by Vornik
There's nothing illogical about slavery.
Last edited by Constantine at Sep 29, 2006,
Removing the top on a classical is a very big job. It should be a last resort, depending on the severity of the crack i would try to repair them.
With the bridge i would check if any of the braces are loose, lighty tap your finger around the top ( Don't use your nail as it can damage the finish!) I you hear and rattling sounds you have a loose brace.
Pics would help.

Does the guitar have a solid or laminate top, back and sides? If they are laminate the guitar may not be worth the effort to fix tbh.
Quote by dave293
Removing the top on a classical is a very big job. It should be a last resort, depending on the severity of the crack i would try to repair them.
With the bridge i would check if any of the braces are loose, lighty tap your finger around the top ( Don't use your nail as it can damage the finish!) I you hear and rattling sounds you have a loose brace.
Pics would help.

Does the guitar have a solid or laminate top, back and sides? If they are laminate the guitar may not be worth the effort to fix tbh.

By large crack, I mean like, a wide, gaping thing that spans the length of the guitar. I've got no clue as to whether it's a Laminate top or solid.... Definitions?

One of the braces is loose, I believe, It's come off with the largest crack.....

I'm not too worried about the finish by the way. It looks like someones taken a sanding block too it at some point.

Pics WILL come, I just need to get some new batteries for the thing...

EDIT: The Bridge itself is in a stable position and everything, It's just that all the wood around it has cracked and has started bending towards the neck, with the string pressure...
Quote by Vornik
Last edited by Constantine at Sep 29, 2006,
To see if it's a laminate top look at the edge of the soundhole, Do the grain lines continue from the top or does it look like it is a few pieces of wood glued together?
If it looks like if one piece of wood it's a solid top, if there a multiple pieces of wood it's a laminate top.
Quote by dave293
To see if it's a laminate top look at the edge of the soundhole, Do the grain lines continue from the top or does it look like it is a few pieces of wood glued together?
If it looks like if one piece of wood it's a solid top, if there a multiple pieces of wood it's a laminate top.

It appears to be solid on the top...

But the bottom is clearly glued together, lol. Intersecting grain patterns everywhere.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by dave293
Ok i kinda suck at explaining stuff so i'll take some pics.
Look at the edge of the soundhole in the pics.

Solid top on my maton.

Laminate top on a guitar i was given to repair.

That's alot clearer, thanks for the pics.

I can now honestly say that it's a solid top.
Quote by Vornik
I really need to get this started, so What I've started doing is the scallopping, But I still need help with the top replacement. If Anyone has any sites that would help, that would be great.

I've also decided that, If it's even possible to completely repair the top that this would also be an option... Even though I would still like the Ovation soundholes, lol.

This is the overall guitar:

This is the major crack in the body. It's pretty much from top to bottom, and is all the way through the sound board.

Teh Scallopping has begun!!!
Quote by Vornik
Join the MIMF(free) to have access to the library, they have a few good articles in there.
Quote by dave293
Join the MIMF(free) to have access to the library, they have a few good articles in there.

Ok, I'll try that, Thanks for all the help you've given Dave.
Quote by Vornik