Okay, heres what I do, and I am coming here because I think I may be over doing some basic things, and instead be spending more time on other techniques. So I'd like your guys opinions on the exercises I chose. Perhaps tell me which ones I don't really need (overdoing)?

My Experience: 3 months self taught... I just browse (mostly cyberfret) some lessons and I try them out and choose what I like.

I don't have a fixed schedule of when I do this I just do it whenever I feel like it, in whatever order I feel like.

Exercise one: I go through that three times with a metronome. It takes about 45 mins. This is really boring so I don't do it anymore than 45 mins (I celebrate after that).

http://www.cyberfret.com/user-lessons/index.php?ID=185

Exercise two: The 5 basic scale forms, I go through them up and down, playing the root notes twice. I don't even know what a root note is I just try to know where it is just for the heck of it.

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/basic/page2.php --

Exercise three: "Hard Finger Exercise" which someone posted on here looks something like this: I do this for 15 minutes, or more if I feel like it.

E:-------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1--------
B:-----------------------------------------------4-3-2-1--------------------1-2-3-4--------------
G:----------------------------4-3-2-1-------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------
D:---------4-3-2-1-------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------1-2-3-4-
A:-------------------1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------
E:-1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exercise four: I am having trouble forming barre chords. I am not sure if this works, it hasn't been long enough to find out. I do this for 15 mins, or more if I feel like it. My hands hurt after...

http://www.cyberfret.com/user-lessons/index.php?ID=24

Exercise five: Just a basic finger exercise I guess.

http://www.cyberfret.com/user-lessons/index.php?ID=174

Exercise 6: spider walks. I do this for 20 mins, or more if I feel like it. I don't really try the other exercise on that website.

http://www.bluegrassbanjo.org/lefthand.html

Exercise 7: Simple chord progressions. I do this for 15 mins, or more if I feel like it.

Free-roam: I practice songs, I play for as long as I want to. I sure could improve my string picking accuracy...it really ****s me up and slows me down a lot. I want to be able to just forget about my picknig hand completely and focus on my fretting hand movements; rather than looking back and fourth my guitar.
Sounds good... Perhaps throw in some other things such as technique improvement (Harmonics[Pinch, Natural, Artificial], Vibrato, Palm muting) stuff like that.
You should learn all the forms of the Pentatonic Minor scale, then add the blues note and you have 2 scales down. Then learn the pentatonic major.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I am having lots of trouble and confused about understanding scales stuff.

From my original post are there exercises I don't really need ? Like if I'm doing chromatics 1-2-3-4 and variations (1-3-2-4, etc.) do I really need to do more other things like these? Or is the chromatics (the one that takes me 45 mins) enough ?

E:--------------------1-2-2-1--------------------
B:----------------1-2---------2-1----------------
G:------------1-2-----------------2-1------------
D:--------1-2-------------------------2-1--------
A:----1-2---------------------------------2-1----
E:1-2-----------------------------------------2-1
Quote by Reez
I am having lots of trouble and confused about understanding scales stuff.

From my original post are there exercises I don't really need ? Like if I'm doing chromatics 1-2-3-4 and variations (1-3-2-4, etc.) do I really need to do more other things like these? Or is the chromatics (the one that takes me 45 mins) enough ?

E:--------------------1-2-2-1--------------------
B:----------------1-2---------2-1----------------
G:------------1-2-----------------2-1------------
D:--------1-2-------------------------2-1--------
A:----1-2---------------------------------2-1----
E:1-2-----------------------------------------2-1

This scale is quite pointless if your doing regular scales.

www.wholenote.com check out the pentatonic minor and learn every position in the key of A or E and then play along with a song in the key of A or E and you can play any of the positions, change positions, and fart around. It will make you more musical instead of a chromatic playing robot.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
By in the key of A (now I have NO idea), but this is my guess... please correct me.

So lets say I play any scale... "In the Key of A". So does that mean I start from, lets say the 5th fret on the Low (6th) string and that would be one position ?

And the other position would be, lets say 2nd fret on the D (4th string) ??

And the other position would be on the 12th string on the G string (3rd string) ?
Quote by Reez
By in the key of A (now I have NO idea), but this is my guess... please correct me.

So lets say I play any scale... "In the Key of A". So does that mean I start from, lets say the 5th fret on the Low (6th) string and that would be one position ?

And the other position would be, lets say 2nd fret on the D (4th string) ??

And the other position would be on the 12th string on the G string (3rd string) ?

The main position is the one where the root note, for instance the key of A is the fret where the Low E string is an A note (5th fret). For the pentatonic scale there are like 5 positions along the fretboard that are in a boxlike shape, 4 frets wide usually. If you have lets say a mode, with 8 notes in the scale the boxes can be up to 6. 7 is a complete octave which doesn't really sound good playing two of the same note consecutively. I would really suggest lessons if at all possible.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yeah I plan on taking lessons in about a month with my other buddy.
make sure you toss in some improvising over chord progressions, also a songwriting part, also a theory learning part.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

What about the part that is FUN like playing and learning songs..
Quote by j_db69
What about the part that is FUN like playing and learning songs..

yeah, why everyone that's beggining, wants to learn so fast, chill out, guitar it's not a competition
Quote by Reez

Free-roam: I practice songs, I play for as long as I want to.

After I finish with some basic drills then I start learning songs, cause its better since my hands are all warmed up.
This is something that you should take into consideration. My professor who has 4 music performance degrees told me one important thing about practicing. Your mind will go dead bassically after 15-20 minutes of striaght concentrating, focused practice. He said that you need to break up your practice time like do a while of practice a 5 minute or so break to just watch T.V., use the bathroom, anything, and then some more practice and more break. He said that you will get more done by taking short breaks every so often then just trying to hammer stuff into your head.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Cool advice, sometimes I get really addicted and I end up playing for a few hours straight. I was basically hypnotized and half asleep since I was staying up. I kept doing the finger exercises lol... more harm than good.