well....I want to know what scales and chords are more of a darker tone you know like classical/gothic type stuff....I really dont know what im talkin bout but hopefully you can help me

thanx in advance
Pure Minor: 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 8.
Harmonic Minor: 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, 7, 8.
Melodic Minor: 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, 6, 7,8...descending...8, b7, b6, 5, 4, b3, 2, 1.
For the melodic minor scale you play the first part "do, re, me, fa, sol, la, ti, do" and then descending it returns to the pure form (de, te, le, sol, fa, me, re, do).

Minor, Diminished, and Augmented Chords.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Last edited by walkinbazooka at Sep 29, 2006,
Melodic minor (aka dorian [aka jazz minor]) is more of a jazzy scale. You want:

phygrian 1 b2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
natural minor 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7
harmonic minor 1 3 b3 4 5 b6 7
locrian (aka diminished) 1 b2 b3 4 b5 b6 b7 ?
Quote by mesaandrew
Pure minor. haha that is badass

The guy from whom I learned theory was a pretentious (but brilliant) guy and he called the natural minor scale the pure minor scale. I think it might be an English thing.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Last edited by walkinbazooka at Sep 30, 2006,
Locrian mode, lydian mode, diminished stuff.......lots of things you can do with exotic scales and modes to sound dark.
Also try using the diminished fifth (or augmented fourth) found in some of the modes mentioned above.
Quote by shattamakar

Quote by ryansfriend1
isnt natural or "pure" minor just an A scale with no sharps or flats?

Yes. It's the relative minor of C major. A major has 3 sharps.
Quote by shattamakar