Page 1 of 32
I know he wasn't a great guitarist, but Bruce Springsteen was a helluva writer, and I have unrepentant unquestioning love for his first three albums. Yet, I rarely see his name mentioned here. Doesn't anybody like the boss?
It always confuses me when I look in the tabs section for Springteen and see that his crappy new songs have Guitar Pro and power tab transcriptions, but his truly great material is neglected.
i love springsteen. he's actually not too shabby a guitarist. he's got some nice solos when he feels like it. i especially like badlands and Atlantic City
yeah Alantic City and in fact the whole Nebraska album kicks ass
My Spanish Hearts
I am in love with Bruce Springsteen. I have The Essential Disc 1, and I want to get Greetings from Asbury Park NJ, but no store seems to have it. Blinded By The Light rocks, as does Thunder Road. and For You. and Rosalita (Come Out Tonight). and Hungry Heart.
Born to Run is essential to any collection. If it would've made sense, almost every track would've been on the Essential collection.
I really like Springsteen. However, I still can't get over my disbelief that he's actually singing Hungry Heart. I don't think it sounds anything like him, or any of his other material.
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
I really don't care for him either. Nothing against him, but I just can't get into it...
I'm hit and miss w/him as well. I like some of his stuff and just can't get into others.
There's one thing about Springteen that I think is often missed. Just like "Southern Rock" has fans in every region, but is most popular in the south due it's cultural influences. Springsteen has a kind of New England'ish, NYC flavor to it that doesn't translate as well in other parts of the country. And that alot of the corporate music business (at least) has offices in and is influenced by the NYC music scene was key to his success.
I was a teenager (in Texas) when "Born to Run" was release and like most of my peers thought it sucked. Yet shortly after we were treated to Springsteens mug on both "Time" and "Newsweek" magizines proclaiming him as "The saviour of Rock & Roll". We didn't even know him by name and had to read the article to learn he was the artist on the "Born to Run" song we disliked hearing. Naturally we were incredulous. It was obvious to us that someone was trying to ram him down our throats.
He seemed to disappear for a few years and then w/the introduction of MTV was back in a buffed up, cleaned up version. No longer the skinny,bearded wierd looking dude we'd seen in "Newsweek". And his music was better, but w/a still decidedly east coast flavor.
Over the years Springsteen has come and gone repeatedly. He has had a few very successfull records and others that while popular in certain demographics, were in record company sales terms pretty much flops.
Yet he's still the darling of the NYC set. And they seem reluctant to let him slip into obscurity.
He seemingly comes out of nowhere periodically on live, made for tv concerts and Primetime specials designed to boost his declining popularity.
How about some Springsteen trivia?
How many know that the girl who comes onstage and dances w/him at the end of the "Dancing in the Dark" video went on to become Monica on "Friends".
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Sep 30, 2006,
"Born To Run" is one of my all time favorite songs.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
Quote by Mongoose87
Not knowing Daning in the Dark had a video, I was not aware of this.

Yep, it was like 1983 or '84. Early MTV days.
Towards the end of the song where he says "Hey baby", in the live concert video he reaches his hand down and pulls a girl out of the crowd and the video ends w/them dancing onstage.
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
i'm not into him but you can't deny the energy that cat puts into his live shows
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It is already tomorrow in Australia.
I can't really make a serious comment, since I don't know much about him. I've seen a couple things, and heard all the radio hits, that's about it. But I still don't like his constipated singing. And I also tend not to like artists that have huge backup bands to fill out the songs. I'm more of a fan of bands where everyone is equal...'regular' bands like Zeppelin, The Who, Aerosmith, etc. Not where there's one guy, Bruce, and the 'others', the E Street Band, which hapens to be making 90% of the music every time they play.
Quote by EL Conquestidor
Yep, it was like 1983 or '84. Early MTV days.
Towards the end of the song where he says "Hey baby", in the live concert video he reaches his hand down and pulls a girl out of the crowd and the video ends w/them dancing onstage.

Cool fact, you may or may not have known. That girl is future television star, Courtney Cox!
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
I freaking LOVE Bruce Springsteen. In writing perspective, Bob Dylan will always overshadow Bruce because he was the first troubadour of the human spirit but the Boss is #1 in my book. His music has alot of energy and he's just a working class hero to blue-collar America. Maybe not so much now because this generation has no one like that but as an 18 year old American I'm honored to be a fan of him.

Rarely do I display this much joy over musicians on this website. I generally am discrete about that kind of stuff. I like alot of musicians but I hold a handful on a pedestal above the others and this guy is one of them. His music has saved my life and soul from depressing, drudgering times of my life. I own every album by him and every dvd they've put out. Talking about how much he's done for me through music as I decscribe it to you guys now almost makes me want to cry honestly.
Bow down to the king....the King of Kings
The Boss is an excellent songwriter.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Tom Waits is the real Boss for that singer song writer sound
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
Quote by futurejp
I can't really make a serious comment, since I don't know much about him. I've seen a couple things, and heard all the radio hits, that's about it. But I still don't like his constipated singing. And I also tend not to like artists that have huge backup bands to fill out the songs. I'm more of a fan of bands where everyone is equal...'regular' bands like Zeppelin, The Who, Aerosmith, etc. Not where there's one guy, Bruce, and the 'others', the E Street Band, which hapens to be making 90% of the music every time they play.

I felt that way before I bought Born to Run. AThat changed my mind.
Still, he doesn't always play with a huge band. On the amazing live album they recorded in England at the Hammersmith, He had a guitarist, two keyboards, a bassist, sax and drums, which isn't nearly as many as he probably needed to originally record the albums.
I think Springsteen is a hugely underrated guy. Born to run is in my opinion one of the greatest songs of all time, and as a live performer i think few can really compare to Bruce.
The live in Barcelona concert is just unreal. He's such a great songwriter, up there with the best without a doubt. Gotta love Atlantic City and The River.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
I don't know if any of you guys ever heard it or not, but his first solo album titled "Nebraska" is probably one of the best folk albums I've ever heard in my life. Most of you have heard "Atlantic City" which is one of the tracks on there.

He recorded it with a 4-track recorder in his bedroom by himself. It's a very haunting album with songs telling these bizarre stories of various citizens of Nebraska. Sometimes can be too depressing and I don't listen to it all the time, but I have listened to it a few all the way through and it's great songwriting...the words make up for the absence of the E Street Band.

The Seeger Sessions are cool as well. The old folk classics. Hard not to catch yourself repeating "Lay me, lay me...lay me my money down".

I sorta miss the E Street band though.
That "first troubador of the heart" thing is colorful, but nonsense.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Oh, and that "first troubador of the heart" thing is colorful, but nonsense.

Fuck you man...who are you to know what kind of impact his music has made on me?
Quote by JackWhite1988
Fuck you man...who are you to know what kind of impact his music has made on me?

No one. But I wasn't judging that. I was just judging your assertion. You said that Bob Dylan was "the first troubador of the human spirit," which of course is utter rubbish in the grand scheme of things.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by JackWhite1988
I don't know if any of you guys ever heard it or not, but his first solo album titled "Nebraska" is probably one of the best folk albums I've ever heard in my life. Most of you have heard "Atlantic City" which is one of the tracks on there.

He recorded it with a 4-track recorder in his bedroom by himself. It's a very haunting album with songs telling these bizarre stories of various citizens of Nebraska. Sometimes can be too depressing and I don't listen to it all the time, but I have listened to it a few all the way through and it's great songwriting...the words make up for the absence of the E Street Band.

The Seeger Sessions are cool as well. The old folk classics. Hard not to catch yourself repeating "Lay me, lay me...lay me my money down".

I sorta miss the E Street band though.

Great album, especially "Highway Patrolman."

Quote by Dirk Gently
No one. But I wasn't judging that. I was just judging your assertion. You said that Bob Dylan was "the first troubador of the human spirit," which of course is utter rubbish in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, Woody Guthrie was doing that stuff before Dylan, and there was probably someone before him.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
^That's true, I was just focusing on American composers.
i was disappointed by his last few albums. the seeger sessions and the rising are decent. i think the e street band should get back together and make a record. now that is something that we need in music right now.
Well, even though I didn't make it clear...I was referring to American composers. In the grand scheme of things that does sound silly but modern era writers...they're two of the best.
I have Gretting fro mAsbury Park, N.J. but I would never part with it. Lovely album.

And yes, I would probably die happy given the chance to she Bruce and the E-Street band together again.
Springsteen makes me think of my history teacher...

(Thick New England accent) "You know who I've been listening to, Alex? The Boss."

I don't have that much Springsteen stuff, but I like what I have. I like the song 4th of July, Asbury Park in particular.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
What an amazing cleaner I am. rx, enough. "I never really cared for the guy" doesn't mean literally 'cared', the user was stating an opinion on the fact that he (or she) hasn't ever really appreciated the music of Springsteen.

So, moving on...
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
The Boss is so good.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Why do you guys who don't know anything aout Springsteen come in here and offer up your opinion on him? He is a legend. There is no one else that could hold a candle to the Boss. Tom Waits is a mumbling drunk.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
I like his stuff with the E Street Band, not so much his new stuff (Devils and Dust was awful). He should just stick to rocking and not to writing thoughtful deep songs.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
I think he's awesome. I've only just got into him recently, and have an Essentials CD, and a few iTunes downloads. I'm going to look for some more CDs next time I happen to be near a music shop... Any suggestions?

Quote by EL Conquestidor
I'm hit and miss w/him as well. I like some of his stuff and just can't get into others.
There's one thing about Springteen that I think is often missed. Just like "Southern Rock" has fans in every region, but is most popular in the south due it's cultural influences. Springsteen has a kind of New England'ish, NYC flavor to it that doesn't translate as well in other parts of the country. And that alot of the corporate music business (at least) has offices in and is influenced by the NYC music scene was key to his success.
I was a teenager (in Texas) when "Born to Run" was release and like most of my peers thought it sucked. Yet shortly after we were treated to Springsteens mug on both "Time" and "Newsweek" magizines proclaiming him as "The saviour of Rock & Roll". We didn't even know him by name and had to read the article to learn he was the artist on the "Born to Run" song we disliked hearing. Naturally we were incredulous. It was obvious to us that someone was trying to ram him down our throats.
He seemed to disappear for a few years and then w/the introduction of MTV was back in a buffed up, cleaned up version. No longer the skinny,bearded wierd looking dude we'd seen in "Newsweek". And his music was better, but w/a still decidedly east coast flavor.
Over the years Springsteen has come and gone repeatedly. He has had a few very successfull records and others that while popular in certain demographics, were in record company sales terms pretty much flops.
Yet he's still the darling of the NYC set. And they seem reluctant to let him slip into obscurity.
He seemingly comes out of nowhere periodically on live, made for tv concerts and Primetime specials designed to boost his declining popularity.
How about some Springsteen trivia?
How many know that the girl who comes onstage and dances w/him at the end of the "Dancing in the Dark" video went on to become Monica on "Friends".
I knew that.

But I watch too much TV anyway...

EDIT: And does anyone know what album 'The Rising' is off?
Last edited by Toilets at Jan 4, 2007,