Yes, I know this has been repeated a trillion times.. Yet I have a specific style of music to address.

The Jam....

What scales are most common in the jamming world, besides the pentatonic, that i should learn? I know i should learn as many as i can, but still, what are some that sound happy, and some that sound sad?
I had my hands in the river,
My feet back up on the bank,
Looked up to the Lord above and said,
"Hey man, Thanks"

Dr. Spinnerbait of the UG Fishermans Club. PM Joe-Fish to join.
I often hear Mioxlydian and Dorian mode for jamming, but really all this modes with certain feeling is getting annyoing. Making something sound happy has most to do with how you play it, not with what scale you have.
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by Sqeeezie
Yes, I know this has been repeated a trillion times.. Yet I have a specific style of music to address.

The Jam....

What scales are most common in the jamming world, besides the pentatonic, that i should learn? I know i should learn as many as i can, but still, what are some that sound happy, and some that sound sad?

Say hello to the modes, the major scale, the minor scale, the minor melodic scale, the blues scales, pretty much any scale that exists. Learn em all. You'll be grateful you did.
well i use dorian, aeolian, and the blues scale most of the time. i usually dont play one straight scale but i mix different parts of modes for passing notes and such as i see fit. but i think with blues, say you were playing in E. if you use the E minor pentatonic you get the bluesy emotional feel and sound to it. the E major sounds a bit more happy. although thats not always the case. with the song "lenny" for example, the E major sounds more pretty and emotional while the E minor sounds more agressisve and has more attitude.

but i think its more of how you play that makes it sound happy or sad, and not directly the mode or scale. but its usually this: major=happy, minor=sad. it depends on the progression too. if you know the whole pentatonic accross the whole fretboard then you should be fine. usually a jam wont be anything too complicated unless all of the people there know a certain song they want to jam to.