I got an Ibanez Gio starter kit last year for christmas, i didn't play that much until a couple months ago when i started lessons. Now i've been playing like 1-2hours a day, sometimes more. With Christmas coming up and really nothing else that i really need, i would like to get a new guitar. So far, I've just been learning the basic stuff with my teacher. Scales,Chords,Simple songs, strumming, starting to get into Bar Chords,etc...

I know some people keep their first guitar for longer than a year, but I really want a new one and since Christmas is right around the corner and my parents said they would buy a new one for me, what the hell, right?

I don't really play hard rock or metal, i'm learning songs(or will be learning) by bands/artists such as: R.E.M,RHCP,Tom Petty,Bob Marley,Johnny Cash, Hendrix, Gym Class Heroes, White Stripes, Nirvana and more of those genres/styles and I would also like to be able to play some Blues.

So with my budget, and my musical tastes what guitar would you reccomend for me? I will probably be getting a used guitar from a store down the street. (Don't suggest Fender, I don't like the way they look even if they are great I wouldn't want to play something i don't like the look of.)

-the (maybe more) means, if i want one over 700 i would probably need to throw in some money.
-And i almost forgot, right now I'm using a Roland Cube 30.
I'd recommend a Mexican FENDER (NOT Squier) Fat Stratocaster cuz there like the same thing just made in Mexico and there about $500... ehh?
lol how can u not like fender? most of the bands u like play w/ em
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
How bout a sunburst? Or maybe a Les Paul? Even aN ES-335 would be the bomb. Of course, I don't know how much they cost... I need a new guitar too...Mine was like
99$, a real crappy one. Does anyone know how much Strats and Tellies cost?
how about an Epiphone Les Paul/SG, or a Schecter C-1 Elite, or a PRS SE, all of them you could get new for your price limit
he said he doesn't like the way fender's look, and me personally, i wouldn't buy a guitar that i hate to look at every time i see it
Quote by Chad11491
he said he doesn't like the way fender's look, and me personally, i wouldn't buy a guitar that i hate to look at every time i see it

Oh Rly? I dont care how a guitar looks, more important to me is how it feels and sounds. If I went into a guitar shop and there was a bright pink Telecaster with yellow polkadots and an engraving on the body that says "I blow goats for pleasure and proft", but it felt awsome and sounded superb then i would buy it (if it was the best guitar in the shop, id have it).
Dude, just vist musician'sfriend.com. If you can't find what you need there give up. go to electric guitars and type your price range they have some of the best deals on new guitars with free shipping. And don't let your parents tell you ordering stuff off line isn't safe because it is. Good luck and my personal opinion is esp/ltd!!!
perhaps a gibson sg faded. I have one, its at the higher end of your budget but it plays like a dream.
Quote by guitarkid2113
American Strats are about $2,000, but the Mexican ones are about $500!!! Thats what I got...

and ameriocan strat is 949.99 at Musiciansfriend..
Quote by Maverick66
Dude, just vist musician'sfriend.com. If you can't find what you need there give up. go to electric guitars and type your price range they have some of the best deals on new guitars with free shipping. And don't let your parents tell you ordering stuff off line isn't safe because it is. Good luck and my personal opinion is esp/ltd!!!

I can get them cheaper from the shop. And i asked you guys b/c i needed an idea of what to get.

At the shop i saw a Gibson Les Paul (don't know what type exactly) used for like 650 i think. I might check that out it was beautiful .
Quote by Prk Marshall
Oh Rly? I dont care how a guitar looks, more important to me is how it feels and sounds. If I went into a guitar shop and there was a bright pink Telecaster with yellow polkadots and an engraving on the body that says "I blow goats for pleasure and proft", but it felt awsome and sounded superb then i would buy it (if it was the best guitar in the shop, id have it).

Now if i saw that, i would definatly get it no matter what brand it was.
american strats for 2000...

i'd hate to be the person that bought an MIA for 2000 bucks
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Les Pauls are great. Good tone, good sustain, good looking (esp. in the Cherry Sunburst finish) and man can they scream. What kind of amp do you have though? You may want to put off the guitar for a bit (i know i know) and buy a good quality amp. Thats the way I did it. And to be honest with you I did it that way because my first guitar was a strat and I thought it was ugly and never wanted to see another one again, but couldn't decide if I wanted a Tele or Les Paul or SG etc... and didn't really know what type of guitar had what kind of tone, or what tone/sound I was looking for. so I bought an amp I heard a guy playing on in a store that had mind blowingly good sound. and saved my money and bought a Les Paul later and never looked back or thought buying an amp first was a bad idea, because that amp made my POS first guitar sound pretty good.
^^^ I posted that i have a Cube30. It's mostly for practicing, i think it sounds amazing comapred to my first amp. I bought it 2 days ago. And at this guitar store they allow you to trade in an amp within 6 months of purchase and get 75% back what you paid towards a new amp, so i will just trade it in and get a little over $100 ( i paid 170, and i dont feel like doing math).

So basically the reccomended choices are a Strat or a Les Paul for my music?
Quote by thepagesaretorn
american strats for 2000...

i'd hate to be the person that bought an MIA for 2000 bucks

unless you live in australia then thats around our benchmarks mate
Quote by Prk Marshall

i was just saying, he said he didn't want a Fender and the people were recommending him one, if he doesn't like the way they looks why would he buy it, i'd just look harder till i found something i liked the feel, look, aand sound of