I've been teaching myself to play guitar for about a year and a half now, and though i'm not the worst guitarist in the world, i seem to be stuck and i can't get any better. i try to get advice from other guitarists as often as possible, but i still need some help. if you could give me any pointers on how to improve when you're stuck in a rut, any exercises or scales, or good songs to learn to play, or different techniques, that'd be helpful. thank ya very much.
ferret.
i did that too and i reached the same point youre at and i got lessons i didnt want to but they help a ton if youve got a good teacher
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
Quote by mikr_guitar
I've been teaching myself to play guitar for about a year and a half now, and though i'm not the worst guitarist in the world, i seem to be stuck and i can't get any better. i try to get advice from other guitarists as often as possible, but i still need some help. if you could give me any pointers on how to improve when you're stuck in a rut, any exercises or scales, or good songs to learn to play, or different techniques, that'd be helpful. thank ya very much.

what are you not good at? what can you not do yet?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
I don't know too many scales, I can play all my chords but i dont know what they're called or anything. I don't know any exercises really. i can hammer and pull off okay, just from playing californication.. but i don't know really any picking techniques like finger picking or sweep picking or anything. can anybody help?
ferret.
Quote by mikr_guitar
I don't know too many scales, I can play all my chords but i dont know what they're called or anything. I don't know any exercises really. i can hammer and pull off okay, just from playing californication.. but i don't know really any picking techniques like finger picking or sweep picking or anything. can anybody help?

haha well there ya go. you're not stuck. you have a million things you can start working on to get better. start learning scales and music theory. go buy some books and/or look around for lessons on UG. everytime you sit down with your guitar dedicate some time to working on something you don't really know how to do... like fingerpicking. once you get good at that, set another goal for yourself.

but that's just my two cents.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Yea, what BigFatSandwhich ( wtf?! lmao!) said.

And think, if you keep practiceing the stuff you know now, you're still getting better, you just don;t know it.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way