Poll: How do you like your neck?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you like your neck?
Thin
24 41%
Medium
22 37%
Thick
8 14%
don't care
5 8%
Voters: 59.
I was just wondering if anyone else here really loks into the neck width as an important feature on a bass they play/want to buy. I've always prefered a really thin neck. That's my biggest problem with Fender, the necks are just a little too chunky for my taste.

I've been looking at various other basses online recently, and I've noticed that very rarely do they give you the actual width at nut measurement. Its kind of annoying, cause When I'm just looking online, I'm doing it to get an idea of what I might want to try out next time I wander down to the music store, but I can never get anything in particular in mind cause I can't figure out this tiny little detail. I've been tying to figure out for the past hour or so now if the neck on Schecter's Diamon J is as thin, or at least close, to that of the Elite, but I've got nothing so far. Ah well, I'll get over it. Just wanted to see if anyone else really though neck width is that important.

And while I'm at it, I figured I'd throw a poll in for your preferred neck width (width at nut mind you) just to see what all you guys like.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
I don't really look into the actual width, but just see how it feels when I play it. I have a 5-string now, so the neck is kinda thick, which makes it hard to mute most of the string at the same time, but I kinda like the feel of it. It may just be the shape though.
Quote by stevetravale
Who the hell would want a thick neck? Whats a postive of having one?

More space inbetween strings, making it easier to slap. Thats about the only one I can think of right now.
Quote by cleadus_134
More space inbetween strings, making it easier to slap. Thats about the only one I can think of right now.

Wait, are we talking thin as in the fretboard is skinny? Or thin as in the neck is skinny?

EDIT: Oh ok, now I look like an ass.
lol I assumed it was width of the fretboard, but now im not sure. I was talking about fretboard width, im not sure about the thread starter.
mostly I'm talking fretboard, but thickness of the neck is a factor too, so let's just say both and leave it at that. I like a pencil neck, I can just play so much easier with it. That's one of the reasons I love my Schecter so much. It has the thinest neck I've ever found on a bass, and plays so easliy on my hands. Its got a shallow neck and a thin fretboard if that makes it any clearer. I like both, but I think the width of the fretboard is very important with my playing style. I have issues with thick ones.

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Are we talking fretboard? I can go 16.5 mm and 19 mm... whatever.

If neck, i like thin/flat or medium round kinda shapes. Ibanez SR or Fender Jazz. recently I got into ESP basses, they seem kinda J-ish.
haha
I generally like a thinner neck, both ways. Although, has anyone here played a Warwick Thumb BO? The fret Board wasn't that wide but between the fretboard and the back of the neck, it was CHUNKY....That being said it was amazingly comfortable. My hand felt so much better having more distance between my thumb and my fingers. So thin fretboard is good (I can't believe the width at the nut on Stingrays), but i believe you need a decent chunk of wood to grip.
guys wat i know that the width is the distance from the bottom of the neck to its top in te same direction from 1st dtring to 6th..( jumbo frets....or xjumbofrets)
while thickness is the distance from the back of neck to the face of the fretboard...

that it...

depending on that, thickness is not important as much as width coz u'll get used to the feel of neck....

while the width is very important coz if someone has big fingers it is easier to play on wide fretboards than on samell ones coz he might tap 2 at a time....while for people who has small fingers it is easier to play on less wide fretboards coz on wide ones it is hard for him to reach strings !!......am i clear
Quote by stevetravale
Who the hell would want a thick neck? Whats a postive of having one?

Beefy sound! Also it fills your hand nicely if you've got bigger hands or long fingers.
Quote by smb
Beefy sound! Also it fills your hand nicely if you've got bigger hands or long fingers.

I have big hands and long fingers and find it awkward playing a j bass neck, which is why i love my precision so much
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
XD To be honest, I love it to be thin at the nut, then taper like hell untillit gets really damn wide a the bridge. So I have the room to slap yet I can play comfortable.

Despite me having huge hands I prefer a thinner neck. It isn't as exhausting to me, concidering I prefer to brace the neck with palm instead of my thumb. (I reach my thumb over to mute most of the strings I ain't playing. )

That and I like playing really fast. :P
Thick neck for me. Just due to the fact if I don't my fingers are too long and the thumb comes over the top and mutes the E-string(Sometimes a advantage)
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
how can anyone say a jazz has a chunky neck? the width at the nut is 1.5". that's tiny! Fett, how wide is your Schecter at the nut?
Wow, 4 month old thread revival O_o

My Schecter's ~3.5mm at the nut, vs the ~4mm of my fretless J. it may not sound like much, but it makes a huge difference. My preference in necks is surprising too, considering I hve really long, thin fingers (I'm 6'3'' and weigh 145 lbs. I'm a skinny little **** and my fingers are sized accordingly) but I still like a really thin neck.

I play my Schecter great, have a little bit of trouble with my fretless J, can't play a fretted J for the life of me, and anything larger is outof the question. I can't even play a 5-string Stiletto comfortably (I was screwing around with the Elite-5 yesterday, couldn't do it).

I don't know what it is, but the Elite-4 is perfect. The only fretted Fender J I've been remotely comfortable with is the Geddy Lee, and even that is a bit much. Maybe I'm just weird. Wait, let me re-phrase that: Maybe I'm just weirder than I thought.

©2008 Fett13 Inc.
^ Wow. All for just .5 of a MILLIMETER! Thats not even on a standard ruler. I mean I like thin necks just as much as the next guy, but it's not like I can't stand playing on a P-bass or a big ol' five string. I mean I grew up (and am still growing) on a P-bass so maybe thats it. Maybe if you started on a thin necked one thats all you could play? ANyway... the geddy? Really? I may have moved away from this bass in the want pile but it has a super thin neck. Most people think it's too thin. Pfft barely handle it whyIoughta.
Er, whoops, I did that wrong. I meant ~3.5 Cm and ~4Cm, not mm, my mistake. Half a centimeter is enough to make a big difference in my playing. Rather than putting a paragraph, I'll just list the measurements of my two basses, that way its a bit easier to understand.

Width at nut
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 - ~3.5cm
Fender fretless J - ~4cm

Depth at 1st fret:
Schecter - ~2.2cm
Fender - ~2.5cm

Circumferance at 1st fret (measured against fret, not over it, to exclude its height due to the Fender being fretless)
Schecter - ~9.6cm
Fender - ~9.9cm

Ther differences are minor, all a matter or 3-5mm (I actually meant millimeter that time <<, but still more than enough to make it far more difficult for me to play the Fender than the Schecter (even moreso on a fretted Fender).

And yes, I did put "mm" every time in this post too and had to fix it afterwards ><

©2008 Fett13 Inc.
The one time I keep it in metric to please those who don't use standard is the one time they want it in standard. Figures

Width at nut
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 - ~1.25 inches
Fender fretless J - ~1.5 inches

Depth at 1st fret:
Schecter - ~.85 inches
Fender - ~.99 inches

Circumferance at 1st fret (measured against fret, not over it, to exclude its height due to the Fender being fretless)
Schecter - ~3.8 inches
Fender - ~3.9 inches

So its a difference of 3/10 in on the width, 1/10 on the depth and 1/10 on the circumference. Doesn't dound like much, but that means that the width, depth and circumference of the Schecter are 81%, 85%, and 97% of the Fender (respectively). I'd say a 10%+ difference in any length is substantial.

FETTit: Given the probable inaccuracy of the measurements I made in inches with the crappy tape measure I have, I'll say that the percentages are a bit different from my original measurements, which showed 87%, 88%, 96% respectively. Averaging them out makes it roughly 84%, 87%, and 97%. No matter which numbers you think were most acurate, the difference is still noticable, at least to me.

©2008 Fett13 Inc.
Like I've always said, I love me a pencil neck

©2008 Fett13 Inc.
thin necks ftw. although occasionally, i do find the massive p-bass necks quite comfortable.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
I have no idea. I use a p-bass, I find that the neck is a bit thick, near the headstock it doesn't really bother me but when playing around the 10th fret it's just not confortable