(This is my first contribution so if I did anything wrong please tell me)

After you memorize and know all of the notes for frets 0-12 for each of the six strings, the next thing that you should do to become proficient in guitar (and be able to write your own music) is learn your scales.

The very first scale you should memorize, and always know is called the Chromatic Scale. The base "Chroma" means color, so you can think of this scale as containing all of the "colors" or notes.

The Chromatic Scale:

C - C#/Db - D - D#/Eb - E - F - F#/Gb - G - G#/Ab - A - A#/Bb - B - C

Every other scale is created by taking a note (the root note of the scale) and then progressing along the chromatic scale in a certain order

A Half Step (H) is the distance between any two notes on the Chromatic Scale

A Whole Step (W) is the same distance as TWO Half Steps

Today I will show you how to create your own Major Scales, using a special sequence of Half Steps (H) and Whole Steps (W).

This sequence is:
W W H W W W H (Take this sequence to heart, it will be one of your best friends)

Now I will show you how to use this sequence to create Major Scales. The Chromatic Scale uses "C", as the very first note, so that will be our example.

W     W     H     W     W     W     W 
C     D     E     F     G     A     B     C
1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8

You first write C (the root note of this scale) and you take one Whole Step, and you get a D. Then you take another Whole step and you get an E. Then you take a Half Step and you get an F. Follow this pattern untill you end with another C

and you should get this

C D E F G A B C (the C(Major) Scale)

You can use this to make any Major Scale

A(Major) A B C# D E F# G# A

B(Major) B C# D# E F# G# A# B

etc.

Every note has a scale. All of the natural notes (A-G) have a major scale. Even the sharp notes (A#-G#) and the flat notes (Ab-Gb) have one, but thats a whole different topic.

Now that you know how Major Scales are created, and you should be confident in making your own, it is time for you to learn them. You must know all the scales and what notes they are composed of so that you know the basics of music theory, and eventually so you can write your own music.

Here are the steps for the best way and the fastest way for you to learn Major Scales:

1. Work on one scale per day. When you finish working on all the scales, then start over again. If you feel that you are getting bored or tired of the scale you are working on then you are not experimenting enough. Try making your own verses or solos with the scales.

2. Memorize the notes that compose your day's scales, this is the only way you will learn the key.

3. First work on the full - fretboard scale, so you know what frets are in your scale. The smaller scales that are under "practice" are two octave scales. That means that the first note you play will be the root note (if youre playing an A(major) scale, the root note is A). You will keep playing the practice scale, and then you will reach the root note again. This root note is 1 octave lower than the first root note. Then if you keep playing, you will reach the root note again, this root note is 2 octaves lower than the first root note you played.

I have only provided the A and C Major Scales, you should be able to make up the other scales now.

In case you have trouble figuring out how to play the practice scales, think of it as similar to reading a book. You read the notes from left to right, but instead of from top to bottom. read them from bottom to top. and play the notes in order. So left to right, bottom to top.

LEGEND

x = note played on scale
X = root note of scale
# = sharp note
1, 2, 3, etc. = fret number

[B][U]C SCALE[/U][/B]

[B]C  D  E  F  G  A  B[/B]

1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9    10    11    12    13
 x e|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|
 x B|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|
 x G|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|
 x D|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|
 x A|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|
 x E|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|
                   .           .           .           .                . .

[B]PRACTICE[/B]

1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8
  e|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|
  B|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|-----|-----|
  G|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|-----|-----|
  D|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|-----|-----|
  A|-----|-----|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|-----|-----|
  E|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
                  .           .           .

7     8     9    10
  e|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|-----|
  B|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|
  G|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|
  D|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|
  A|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|
  E|-----|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|
      .           .

8     9    10    11    12
  e|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|-----|-----|-----|
  B|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|
  G|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|
  D|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|
  A|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|
  E|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|
            .                . .

e|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
  B|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|
  G|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|
  D|-----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|-----|-----|
  A|-----|-----|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
  E|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

[B][U]A(MAJOR) SCALE[/U][/B]

[B]A  B  C#  D  E  F#  G#[/B]

x e|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|
x B|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|
  G|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|-----|
x D|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|
[B]X[/B] A|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|
x E|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|

[B]PRACTICE[/B]

1     2     3     4     5
  e|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|
  B|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|
  G|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|
  D|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|
  A|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|
  E|-----|-----|-----|-----|--[B]X[/B]--|
                  .           .

5     6     7     8     9
  e|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|-----|-----|-----|
  B|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|
  G|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|
  D|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|
  A|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|
  E|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|
      .           .           .

5     6     7     8     9    10    11    12
  E|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
  B|-----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|-----|
  G|-----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|
  D|-----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|
  A|-----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|
  E|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|
      .           .           .                . .

e|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
  B|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|-----|-----|
  G|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|-----|
  D|-----|-----|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--[B]X[/B]--|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|
[B]X[/B] A|-----|--x--|-----|--x--|--x--|-----|--x--|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
  E|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3mBGODdzzVw

Quote by fenderfreak101

And by "Talk to girls," I mean "There once was this tootally cool girl on Xbox Live and we chatted about what level Wizardgammot we are in D & D"
Last edited by Billy Talented at Sep 30, 2006,
It is a great looking lesson (I've yet to read it) but personally I don't see it necessary to overlap casualty01's work, since he covered the subject quite thoroughly.

Keep it up!
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.