After a while, my right arm (picking hand) starts to tense up if I'm playing anything even moderately fast.

Any suggestions on how to hold my arm as I play/ how to loosen up (both my arm and my wrist).
stretch before you play. make sure you're using your wrist and not your arm.
Quote by Spamwise
stretch before you play. make sure you're using your wrist and not your arm.

Anything in particular?

and I always use my wrist, but it's so stiff that I can't play as fast as I potentially could.
if you play with your guitar low then i suggest tightening up your strap.
i have the same problem but i think it looks gay to have your guitar so high up.
beatles much?
Try doing chromatic excersizes, like..

E| 6 7 8 9
B| 5 6 7 8
G| 4 5 6 7
D| 3 4 5 6
A| 2 3 4 5
E|1 2 3 4

with a metronome, going up and down.

EDIT: i'm not quite sure how to do tabs, but take the low e string first, then play on the a string, then d, etc.
ihave my gutiiar hung just above my crotch and use my wrist to play i never feel tense.
Quote by footballfanatic
what the hell is tapping?

Quote by System of a Dog
Who the **** is Hellen Keller?
Quote by Spamwise
Try doing chromatic excersizes, like..

E| 6 7 8 9
B| 5 6 7 8
G| 4 5 6 7
D| 3 4 5 6
A| 2 3 4 5
E|1 2 3 4

with a metronome, going up and down.

EDIT: i'm not quite sure how to do tabs, but take the low e string first, then play on the a string, then d, etc.

ok, cool. Good things I've started learning Erotomania - Dream Theater. It has a lot of ^^ that going on.
Quote by xdeline!
if you play with your guitar low then i suggest tightening up your strap.
i have the same problem but i think it looks gay to have your guitar so high up.
beatles much?

nope. I always play guitar sitting down, or have the strap short enough that the guitar would be right below my ribs.

Lucky me, I'm a girl so I don't have the "certain things looking gay on me" problem.
A chick learning Petrucci licks? Impressive. I thought only competitive manhores arguing over penis size in the pit attempted that.

Try to just relax everything. If something feels wrong, it probably is. However, with that said, use your wrist.

Lay your arm flat palm down against a table. Now, without picking up your arm, rotate your hand back and forth. This is the correct picking technique, at least for me. Now try to incorporate that motion into your alternate picking.
Quote by mikeman
A chick learning Petrucci licks? Impressive. I thought only competitive manhores arguing over penis size in the pit attempted that.

Try to just relax everything. If something feels wrong, it probably is. However, with that said, use your wrist.

Lay your arm flat palm down against a table. Now, without picking up your arm, rotate your hand back and forth. This is the correct picking technique, at least for me. Now try to incorporate that motion into your alternate picking.

Thanks a ton for the advice!
I don't want to start another anchoring argument, but your wrist will be less tense if you keep your wrist/fingers off the guitar when you pick. If you already play without anchoring, then great.