Hey guys. I was wondering, is it harder to play really fast on a non-shred guitar? I own a Standard Strat and I was wondering if the non-shred neck will limit my speed. Thanks.
::points at yngwie malmsteen/ritche blackmore/steve morse::
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
You shouldn't have to rely on a certain model guitar as a crutch for fast playing. You definatly can get fast enough with that...though there are some necks made for easier fast playing, don't get dependant on anything.
So judging by the last response, yes, some necks are easier to shred with. Thanks guys.
It really doesn't matter if you're good. But I can't play on a Stratocaster because the controls right below the pickups get in the way of my hand.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Some necks and guitars are easier, obvo.

Course, the main thing is you could become just as fast as anyone on pretty much any guitar with enough practice - its a matter of technique mostly, it'd just be harder.
*points at zakk wylde shredding on an acoustic guitar*

gonna have to say no. I built up some decent speed on my strat before i bought my kelly, which does have a shreddier neck. (the shreddier neck does help though)
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
I remember someone saying on here before "A good guitarist makes an intermediate guitar sound advanced" Or something along those lines. That applies here. Take Yngwie for example,he plays on a Strat,scalloped(sp?) to which some say makes it even harder to play.

Ther are ways to make it easier but in general,you get used to any circumstances you're in with time and yeah,it won't make you faster as such..
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
That's just a matter of taste really.

some people really like those "hard to play" necks and others prefer the "shreddier" necks
the only differences between them are really just the dimensions (wide, slim etc...). Sometimes, fret sizes are a big dif too...

Find something that works for you, that's all I'd say...
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I use a 26-fret 7-string Gilgamesh 4000XR with dual overdriven flourescent-orange Seymour Duncan pick-ups...My guitar is badass, beeatch.

best air guitar ever
When it all comes down to it, a slower neck will slow you down. But only a tiny bit, nothing really that noticable. Obviously you are going to be able to pick up a JEM and wizz around it quicker than an Epiphone, but once you're used to the Epi I'm sure you could do whatever you wanted on it.

So my answer is = yes, for a short while.
Quote by tweeres04
Hey guys. I was wondering, is it harder to play really fast on a non-shred guitar? I own a Standard Strat and I was wondering if the non-shred neck will limit my speed. Thanks.

not enough to have an excuse to why you cant shred. My second guitar is a standard strat and it works fine and is a nice guitar for shred, so you dont have an excuse just keep practicing.

Quote by eviledge87
*points at zakk wylde shredding on an acoustic guitar*

minor pentatonics played a a moderate speed decently clean isnt too tough. I dunno what it is with people these days and zakk, i mean i like some of his songs but hes far
from a virtuoso, and if you want one look here or here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K3fvB4QO1qo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Oa928jR6gs

Tony>Randy>Jake>Zakk (not that any of them are bad IMO)
Last edited by garden of grey at Sep 30, 2006,
It can limit your speed, but not a huge amount. Gilbert would still be able to play Snakebite on a Squier.
Administrator of the "Guitarists born in 1991 Club" PM me or greendayguitar to join.

Feel free to add me
Though i have easier acces to a wider range of frets with my left hand.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
string height is more of a speed killer than type of guitar or neck
most fenders have naturally high action,it will make you a fraction of a second slower

& no this is not something you can fix by fiddling with the saddles...you would have to replace the nut or have the grooves filed down
Upper fret access is also important. Some guitars its increcibly difficult and just plain awkward to play up the top frets. Obviously this is gonna slow you down. But this thread has just plummeted into stating the obvious.
Look dude, I'm practicing with a squier and it aint that bad. Let's just put it this way, Billie Joe Armstrong aint gonna be able to shred if he had a Carvin. It's doesnt make that big of a difference.
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
No, it can't.

I can play equally fast with my Strat and JEM, and the Strat's neck is a like a baseball bat.

Besides, almost every guitar has some player shredding with it, even Telecaster.
^Richie Kotzen \o/
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I'm pretty sure as long as the neck isn't sticky it won't really matter.
If the neck is too wide of course it'll take a little longer to fret the lower strings, but that doesn't matter too much until it's rediculously fast.
lol i managed to sweep-tap a 5 string apreggio on a damn fender tele
My Gear:

Ibanez RG450LTDBC
Boss GT-8
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Behringer guitar
Behringer V-Tone GM108 Amp
...and my fingers.

Quote by unfathomable_bo
At a Nile gig when some guy shouted "Egypt is gay!"

^^
Quote by guitartilldeath
lol i managed to sweep-tap a 5 string apreggio on a damn fender tele

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmN5rJGbQJQ

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Look dude, I'm practicing with a squier and it aint that bad. Let's just put it this way, Billie Joe Armstrong aint gonna be able to shred if he had a Carvin. It's doesnt make that big of a difference.

how do you know that? have you seen him trying to shred? no. so shut the **** up
Quote by Dabey
how do you know that? have you seen him trying to shred? no. so shut the **** up

We don't need Greenday-loving whiny emo bitches here.

Why don't you go and orally satisfy Billie Joe and shut your ****ing piehole, idiot.
There are necks built for speed, but thats like saying the new Nikes make you run faster. It's all in your head... or fingers for this matter.

No matter what you play on, if you practice enough, your speed and accuracy will increase because you are training your fingers to become familiar with the instrument. It's all practice.

There are, of course, guitars that are easier to play because of minor details(wood, frets, necks, ect.) However, if you learn to play well on a crummy guitar, switching to a better guitar always opens new doors than if you were to start on it. Just take your time and build your excellence.
^Yep. Nailed it,although it has been said about 5 times now.

On a different note, I take it you're from Wexford Ireland no?
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
i'v seen malmsteem play on a gibson es-335. now for those of you who know gibsons, you know that they have baseball bats for necks. i dont think the neck affects your speed.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by duggyrocks
It limited me, I had a strat copy and I realised I could reach much higher speeds when I got my ibanez. But my strat did have very high action though.

I find the strat necks are far to chunky to move around quickly hense why its commonly said their necks are slow
-----(\__/)-----
------(0--0)-----
-----=\0/=-----

FIGHT THE BAN

SAVE OUR LAMBS
Quote by Lost_Rose
I find the strat necks are far to chunky to move around quickly hense why its commonly said their necks are slow

I disagree.

Strat necks arn't slow, I have an Ibanez RG 1570 (known for 'fast' necks as most of you probably know) and I usually practice on that all the time. However, at collage I went on an aquaintences Mexican Strat, and I can say that I could play just as fast and clean as on my Ibanez. The only difference is that I find a Wizard Presige neck to be slightly more comfortable, although the Strat neck was very comfortable as well.
Quote by Spynal

Man, if only we could have a thread dedicated to recommendations, that would be sweet. Maybe, we could call it ... The Hugfest .... no, that's no good? Metal-O-Rama? Nah.... oh wait.

I've got it...
The Official Metal Recommendation Thread
^ whats been said 10'000 times already, as long as you can play as that speed, you'll be able to do it on any guitar. Although I think action is a factor, since you actually have to take time to press down if the action is rediculously high. Example being that old acoustic guitar everyone started playing with..y'know the one...hurts your fingers to fret higher than the 7th fret
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
My answer is no, you don't need a good guitar to shred, yo yourself need to be good enough to shred.

guitars don't shred, you do
i actually cant play for **** on gibsons for some reason

but i can play fenders really good
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join