Page 1 of 3
there aren't a whole lot of good punk bands left, now it's all emo and crappy pop bands who call themselved punk just because they have guitar riffs that have mild distortion. Not that I don't like emo, I just don't like the $hitty emo like panic at the disco and 30 seconds to mars, but MCR and Bullet for My Valentine are both good.
I'm the dream unicorn! The young machetes guide my path through forests of burning orange trees, but protect me from the cloud eating coconut eyed monsters that live in the bushes.
you can only make the same 4 power chords sound original for so long
"I count the days to find, what was left behind. All of these names I clutch, will lead me to my home. Mothers and fathers start, to drown the living proof.....I cant remember these Lakes of Blood." - Cedric Bixler-Zavala
Quote by DementedHippie
I just don't like the $hitty emo like panic at the disco and 30 seconds to mars, but MCR and Bullet for My Valentine are both good.

Are you kidding me? MCR is the epitome of emo. And I'm not sure what you call emo. Emo = Emotional. If you're talking about music. I know for sure Panic! is not emo... their songs are about girls and dancing...which I'm sure is considered just Pop Punk(punk being watered down). If you're saying Emo as the way they look. Well MCR has definitely got them beat with their over the top pale makeup, all black, and eye shadow...

but either way... MCR is still ****ty, annoying...

hey i think i answered your question.

the punk scene today and their music is ****ty and annoying. Because everyone wants to look like a girl and play power chords.
Quote by uterus
MCr and Bullet for My Valentine are not punk, you moron.

He wasn't suggesting that they were. But Emo is a punk offshoot and the point that he was making is that the problem with punk is that theres very few quality punk band and alot of ****ty punk offshoots.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
lack of communication, amongst ourselves and to others.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by Lund27J
Are you kidding me? MCR is the epitome of emo. And I'm not sure what you call emo. Emo = Emotional. If you're talking about music. I know for sure Panic! is not emo... their songs are about girls and dancing...which I'm sure is considered just Pop Punk(punk being watered down). If you're saying Emo as the way they look. Well MCR has definitely got them beat with their over the top pale makeup, all black, and eye shadow...

but either way... MCR is still ****ty, annoying...

hey i think i answered your question.

the punk scene today and their music is ****ty and annoying. Because everyone wants to look like a girl and play power chords.

What the fuck did you just say...
Quote by VodkaPunk
What the fuck did you just say...

Indeed, WTF did he say?
I'm not sure, but I think he was calling MCR punk...
That went right over my head so fast.

But My Chemical Romance is garbage in my opinion. Same goes to Bullet for my emo band for whatever was mention.

To answer the thread, I believe the modern day problem in punk is there is too many rotten acting punks. A lot of punks have a holier than thou attitude towards everything. Not enough embarassing of others.

For example this forum.
maybe the punk scene has too many problems b/c people bitch and moan about the scene..
Quote by a6l6e6x1
hahaha "sexism the ultimate humour" a6l6e6x, 2008

My gear:
Kramer Custom Made from 1986
Framus Manhattan
Phaiga Hybrid H1
Ibanez RGT220A
Ibanez RG305DX
Framus Dragon Top
Custom Cab with 6 Celestion G12H Speakers
MCR is NOT emo. It's just bull**** teeny-bopper pop music.

One thing I find to be a very common thing wrong with punk today:

There are tons of capable punk bands with a good message, blah, blah, blah. But they all sound the same for the most part. None of them stick out or do anything you haven't heard before. For example, I like a lot of old school hardcore punk bands like Black Flag, Fear, Dead Kennedys, and Bad Brains. They did **** that no one else did really; they were revolutionary, they stuck out, and most importantly, they were MEMORABLE. There are hardly any bands that are memorable at this point in time.

Another problem is the fact that places like Hot Topic and the like are trying to distort what punk really is, creating a large stream of corporate bands/fans who call themselves "punk". And then, the misuse of the words "hardcore" and "emo" really irks me, as they were closely related to punk. I'm tired of hearing all these Christian bands telling everyone they're hardcore, when really, they just sound like ****ty metal, and I'm tired of hearing these teeny-bopper pop bands calling themselves emo. Emo was Rites of Spring and Fugazi. Hardcore was Bad Brains and Agnostic Front. JESUS.
Last edited by MattTheArsonist at Sep 30, 2006,
Quote by MattTheArsonist

Another problem is the fact that places like Hot Topic and the like are trying to distort what punk really is, creating a large stream of corporate bands/fans who call themselves "punk". And then, the misuse of the words "hardcore" and "emo" really irks me, as they were closely related to punk. I'm tired of hearing all these Christian bands telling everyone they're hardcore, when really, they just sound like ****ty metal, and I'm tired of hearing these teeny-bopper pop bands calling themselves emo. Emo was Rites of Spring and Fugazi. Hardcore was Bad Brains and Agnostic Front. JESUS.

brnh.bandcamp.com
punk originated as a way of sticking it to the man so to speak. rebellion against the conservatism that engulfed the world at the time. going against the grain of pop, back when like music was boring. e.g. i think like going to the 60s when music was beatles.
today however, there's so many bands and so many people that don't find anything that new. there aren't any rules so to speak. if you want to go against the grain your gonna hafta be like a racist band or something.
Punk was about rebellion. Today it's nothing. Everyone has blue hair now and piercings and wears black that its not longer different. so punk doesn't have a place here anymore
punk died a LONG time ago
greenday not punk
blink not punk
there all pop.
and emo = the worst thing since the holocaust. I feel guilty for listening to some songs because its catchy, which is exactly what pop is meant to be.
today's emo and punk all is a form of weak pop.
so you can easily compare mcr to britney.
Its difficult not to respond with so called "elitism" when ignorance is so common.

I've been called an elitist for being proud of the punk scene, being proud of being part of it, i know i should be a little more open minded sometimes
“I smoke. If this bothers anyone, I suggest you look around at the world in which we live and shut your f*ckin' mouth.” RIP
Http://www.Smash-it-up.tk
Quote by saves515
you can only make the same 4 power chords sound original for so long

That's why punk is more than four powerchords...

As for relevant things, there's still a big problem with Nazis and other racism.
The problem with the punk scene is that Hardcore and Punk are being used by scene kids 'cause they need a label. We need people who understand what punk is.
1) Morons who come into the punk forum who obviously know absolutely nothing about punk but whine about how it died because they spent all of 20 minutes watching VH1 and saying "OMGZ none of these bands sound like The Ramones."

2) The huge street punk trend and all of the stupid trendies that come with it.

3) Homophobia and racism.

4) Punks who are conservative because (and this is a direct quote) "Punk is about being cool and different and who's more different than conservatives?" Seriously, it's one thing to be conservative but it's another thing entirely to be conservative because you think it makes you more rebellious.

5) The fact that if you don't wear gear you're a poser and if you do wear gear you're a trendy.

6) The misconception that all skins are nazis.

7) Idiots who swear that all punk is, was and ever will be is three chord wonders and refuse to gain any skill at all with their instrument.

8) People who think punk is purely a fashion statement.

9) The on going bastardization of punk rock and punk rockers by Hot Topic and TV which consistantly passes off ****ty, watered down pop rock as punk.

10) Sid Vicious worshippers.

11) GG Allin worshippers.

But ya know what? It's not like all of these problems are new. I love punk regardless of all of the bull****. So my biggest issue is:

12) PEOPLE WHO SIT THERE AND BITCH ABOUT THE PROBLEMS IN THE PUNK SCENE AND DON'T DO ANYTHING TO HELP ANY OF IT BUT BITCH ABOUT HOW THINGS WERE SO MUCH BETTER IN THE 70'S DESPITE THE FACT THAT THEY, PERSONALLY, ARE 14-18.
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
Too many lables.

"I wan't to play hardcore"

"I wan't to play Garage Punk"

These people obviously can't start a band!
No, it isn't. This board is a punk scene in its own right. If it shut down, I'm sure we'd start one somewhere else. The regulars here have made it a great board and I'd like to than you all for giving me an escape from regular life here. The UG punk forum and its users all mean a lot to me. I know it sounds pathetic, but life sucks enough without talking to people of a like mind no matter how.
1.That if you play "punk" that sounds a certain way (watered down and poppy) and you look a certain way (trendy), you could become a millionaire (Green Day).

2. That people don't search out bands (both new and old) to listen to and become burned out on the few bands they listen to and then get burned out on punk altogether and drop out.

3. That people blindly worship people and bands from the early days who were actually detrimental to the punk sene.

4. That people are trying to rewrite history, so that hadcore, grind, crust, etc, bands = punk bands, when these genres are actually offshoots of punk.

5. That old "'77punks" dropped out when hardcore came along, denying younger punks their stories, "wisdom", experience and influence.

6. That many of the punks who did stick around are in it for the $$$.

7. That punk is over 30 now and has a wife, kids and a mortgage.

8. That the Law of Diminishing Returns says that I will never hear punk bands that will appeal to me in the same way that the original punk bands did.

9. That, while much of the violence and racism that plagued the punk scene in the 80's is gone, homophobia still remains a problem (though not as great a problem as it was).

10. That emo, one of the more annoying offshoots of punk, and the one that seems to appeal most to "mainstream American teeny boppers"just won't die, whereas "cyberpunk", which wasn't anywhere near as bad, died long ago.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Scary how cowswithguns and nemo both came up with more or less 20 different problems
Quote by ryknow157
maybe the punk scene has too many problems b/c people bitch and moan about the scene..

Mabye the punk scene has too many problems because people like you are too blind to do anything to fix them.
so if punk is a rebellion against the mainstream and punk and the fashion of punk have gone mainstream, wouldn't that mean that everything punk rebelled against in the 70s and early 80s is now considered punk?

if punk is about rebellion, then wouldn't a kid who doesn't dye and cut his hair a stupid way be rebelling? so wouldn't these plain normal kids be considered punk?
Another problem in punk is my shitty ass mouse that skips around when I'm trying to browse around UG.
The biggest problem with punk is the internet. Made it too accessible to anyone that knows how to do a google search and now ya got these kids that are 15 yrs old talkin about Black Flag and DK's like they were around back in the day. They have a ton of knowledge about the scene, but no real life experiences that made punk and every other subculture what it was.
He who acts, conquers.Nashvillepunk.org

I'm old, I'm tired, and I have acid reflux. So don't mess with me.
Then get off the internet?

It's not our fault we have to put up with musical crap today. If we're so bad, leave.
scenesters.elitists(especially ones who think they know eveything about genres and the people in them) and lazyness
its a global massacre
Quote by TN_BOOTBOY
The biggest problem with punk is the internet. Made it too accessible to anyone that knows how to do a google search and now ya got these kids that are 15 yrs old talkin about Black Flag and DK's like they were around back in the day. They have a ton of knowledge about the scene, but no real life experiences that made punk and every other subculture what it was.

That is defidently one of the GOOD things, not bad. Do you really want your music to die with you, or for kids to be inspired by it? Seriously, wtf? Would you want ALL of today's kids listening to the mainstream, or have most of the listening to the mainstream, but SOME listening to something that affecting and inspired you and having them feal the same way?
Page 1 of 3