I have been playing for about a year and a half and I often play with my friend who plays drums and he easily drowns me out. So I am thinking about getting a half-stack so I can drown him out

Is it worth getting one at this stage? I would be getting a valve-state head, do they break easily?
a half stack is kind of overkill.... a 125 watt amp will do it
Quote by leavesandman
i hope your children get aids

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.

Member Number 11 of Metallica Mensa
Get something in the 50 to 80-watt range. Drowning someone out is nonsense. The key is to play together so as to accent eachother accordingly.
I would be using this amp for a long time if I got it. I will be getting a half-stack sooner or later, so wouldn't it be better to get it now?
No you should just get a 50 or 60 watt combo and save up for a tube halfstack later.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
no, halfstacks arent worth it, especially a valvestate amp! Save up for a 30+ watt tube combo.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
A decent valve combo will work well, and I'm glad you're thinkin' of goin' valve.

And what the hell are you talking about^? He said a valve head, not valvestate....
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Half stacks generally aren't any good untill you hit the $2,000 range. You could get a 50 watt tube combo and drown him out for cheaper. Figure half the price for something you will want to keep.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Quote by R_H_C_P
A decent valve combo will work well, and I'm glad you're thinkin' of goin' valve.

And what the hell are you talking about^? He said a valve head, not valvestate....

Actually he said valvestate head...hehehe...
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
Quote by Privilege
I have been playing for about a year and a half and I often play with my friend who plays drums and he easily drowns me out. So I am thinking about getting a half-stack so I can drown him out

Is it worth getting one at this stage? I would be getting a valve-state head, do they break easily?

R_H_C_P, Sorry mate, You're wrong.
R_H_C_P may be wrong, but there aren't many cheap tube heads if you don't trust ebay...
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Molsons Golden
Half stacks generally aren't any good untill you hit the $2,000 range. You could get a 50 watt tube combo and drown him out for cheaper. Figure half the price for something you will want to keep.

Yeah, I would probably be getting a marshall jcm 2000 dsl 100 and a marshal 412a cabinet. I'm not sure if those two are even compatible with eachother Are they?
You know that isn't valve-state, its all tube.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Okay, I'm an amp newb, and don't really know the difference, I only know the difference between solid state and valve state. Could someone please inform me?

And is that amp any good?
Quote by Matticuss22
R_H_C_P, Sorry mate, You're wrong.

You're a towel.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
ok well if he keeps on putting you of, instead of drowning him out, why dont u just say he needs to improve before u two play together properly. If that doesnt work, just get a new drummer lol
"Cant people stop complaining about others gear and help?" - Chobbsy

damn straight!!
Yeah. Dont get the AVT halfstack, Get a nice 30 watt tube combo.

What styles of music do you play and whats your price range and we can help a bit more.
I never said the drummer was crap lol, his kit is just a lot louder then my amp.

My price range is anything up to 3k (I've almost saved enough)

I play absolutely everything, mainly stuff like the strokes, but I also play a lot of metal.

The way I see it, shouldn't I buy a good amp now? Then I wouldn't have to get another one for a long, long time.
3grand can get you alot!!! if youre willing go with the half stack now!!!
a 50w marshall jcm900/800 head is what id love to own, mostly the 900 because of channel switching
'62 Stratocaster Reissue, Sunburst - Duncan Hotrails in Bridge
Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Alpine white
Univox "Lucy", Clear Lucite Body
Schecter Pro Stragety
Crate - GX1200 - Half Stack - CRAP! SCREW Crate!
BOSS - DD5, GE7, MT2, DS1
3000 what? Pound? Euro? US Dollars? Canadian Dollars? Austrailian Dollars?

And could you be more specific about your musical tastes?

And if you have 3000 why were you looking at a Valvestate
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
get the DSL. its good.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
aus dollars

specific bands i listen to: muse, the strokes, system of a down, rhcp, queens of the stone age, bloc party, sublime, the mars volta, the black dahlia murder, rage against the machine, wolfmother and the velvet underground