What I am intgerested to know, is if anyone has ever made an acoustic guitar with a floating bridge whammy system like a Floyd Rose?

Would it even be possible? I think it would. Have a thick top, and have it recessed on top, have springs and whatnot inside (although it would be a bitch to adjust the springs).

Has anyone tried to do this to an acoustic? Does anyone WANT to try?
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
why in god's name would you want that? other than it not having been done before, it's completely useless.
come and join the youth and beauty brigade

#5 member of the club that isn't terribly prejudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
I'm thinking a thicker top wouldn't vibrate as much meaning a lot less volume...
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Well your top needs to be very very strong, and the glue needs to be very adhesive and strong, because first of all, you'd have to make a huge hole in your guitar, which already means the structural integrety is also comprimised, then divebombing and doing crazy things on it, with such thick strings, the neck might break, and then the trem will rip off your top and everything out, and then you have half a penis.
Quote by systemrules
why in god's name would you want that? other than it not having been done before, it's completely useless.

Check before you talk thru the brown one - Yamaha have done it (APX10 fitted with Kahler)
http://acousticon.net/thegear.html
bigsby will kind of work on an acoustic but only if the acoustic is plugged in.

Trems dont work on acoustic guitars because acoustic guitars need a thin top to sound good. If you make the top .01" thicker then you end up with a guitar that sounds a lot differant. To add a trem you need a hell of a lot more than .01" and you end up with a guitar that doesn't sound good. It won't work becaouse you would have to make the guitar to heavy.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
bigsby will kind of work on an acoustic but only if the acoustic is plugged in.

Bigsby works on the strings - it'll work whether the guitar's plugged in or not.

Trems dont work on acoustic guitars because acoustic guitars need a thin top to sound good. If you make the top .01" thicker then you end up with a guitar that sounds a lot differant. To add a trem you need a hell of a lot more than .01" and you end up with a guitar that doesn't sound good. It won't work becaouse you would have to make the guitar to heavy.

check the link I gave above - Yamaha have fitted a trem to an acoustic guitar !
^you don't know what you are talking about. It's not just about the strings. If it were just about the strings then why bother with an acoustic? Why not just make it like an electric? The answer is that with acoustics, it's not just about the strings!
Quote by CorduroyEW
^you don't know what you are talking about. It's not just about the strings. If it were just about the strings then why bother with an acoustic? Why not just make it like an electric? The answer is that with acoustics, it's not just about the strings!

Check the bloody link - is the Yamaha APX10 an acoustic guitar - YES!!!

and I have a Semi- acoustic with Bigsby type tremolo and IT DOES WORK UNPLUGGED OK!!!!!!
1st off, that is not a bigsby in the link. That isn't even a trem. That guitar has a tail peice not a trem and the tail peice should not be used as a trem. The fack that you didn't know that is proof you don't know what you are talking about.

2nd, simi-acoustics are actually called simi-hollowbodies and they are not acoustic guitars. They have a large block of wood under the bridge that helps to reduce feedback and it also makes it possible to add something like a bigsby trem. Sometimes you will see hollowbody electrics with bigsby trems. Many of these are built like a true archtop acoustic except they have a laminated top. The laminated top reduces feedback and also makes the guitar so that it is capable of handeling the stress caused by a trem. These guitars are called hollowbody electrics because they sound like crap when they are not plugged in. Sure they will work unplugged but they are not very loud and they don't sound good.

If you built an archtop with the right bracing and an extra thick top and then made your own bigsby style trem out of rosewood or maple then you might end up with a good sounding acoustic but you would need to do it on an archtop because a flattop would have to be too overbuilt and you would have to do it with parilell bracing because X bracing would put the support in the wrong places.

Adding a metal trem to acoustic guitars has been tried many many MANY times and the reason you never see it is because it doesn't sound good unplugged.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Oct 1, 2006,
Quote by CorduroyEW
1st off, that is not a bigsby in the link. That isn't even a trem. That guitar has a tail peice not a trem and the tail peice should not be used as a trem. The fack that you didn't know that is proof you don't know what you are talking about.

Are you blind as well as stupid - I never said it was a Bigsby in the link. It's a Kahler Pro Tremolo system. Check the guitars on the right - middle one on the top - quote :-
"Yamaha APX10 retrofitted with a Kahler Pro Tremolo System,"

Please read other peoples' posts carefully before you rush to insult.
You only serve to demonstrate your extreme ignorance.
^looks like you dont know cord, he's a genius. he knows what he's talking about, he ain't talking ****.
about the yamaha... i think they put a block in the middle of it because there's no way that a regular top will withstand such pressure, and probably the sound is pure crap.
strat player forever.
Quote by reeced
Are you blind as well as stupid - I never said it was a Bigsby in the link. It's a Kahler Pro Tremolo system. Check the guitars on the right - middle one on the top - quote :-
"Yamaha APX10 retrofitted with a Kahler Pro Tremolo System,"

Please read other peoples' posts carefully before you rush to insult.
You only serve to demonstrate your extreme ignorance.

I did read your post carefully.

The guitar that 1st comes up in your link is a Yamaha APX10 with a tailpeice. I said "thats not a bigsby" because many people mistake that type of tailpeice for a bigsby and that is the guitar that came up in your link. You didn't bother to mention that if somebody searches through they can find another yamaha apx10 so I assumed that the APX 10 that actually came up in the link was the one you were talking about. After you said I would have to go looking for it then I did and I saw that there is one with a tailpeice but it's also fitten with a pickup. Notice there is nothing that talks about how good the acoustic tone is. It also doesn't say how much they had to modify the guitar to make that thing stable. For all we know it's got a big block of wood under the bridge that makes it a simi-hollowbody that looks like an acoustic. It also says it was a prototype. Who knows if it's going to hold up for any amount of time.

I even said that it's been tried before but just because you can find a pic of one doesn't mean that it sounds good unplugged.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Oct 1, 2006,
The reason I didn't bother to mention is because the link is to a Flash presentation - you can't link directly to the image of the APX10 with Kahler (I thought you would have known that).
The APX10 is NOT fitted with a tailpiece ala Bigsby, it's fitted with a proper Kahler Trem. I've absolutely no doubt that the body has been strengthened to accomodate this, but that's not the point. The original question was "if anyone has ever made an acoustic guitar with a floating bridge whammy system like a Floyd Rose?" I showed that somebody had - end of story !
^and my point is that by adding one you ruin the acoustic properties of the guitar. When you come in and say it will sound good plugged in and unpluged I feel the need to let people know that you have no clue what you are talking about. It would be a shame if somebody mistook you for a person that knows how acoustic guitars work and took your advise expecting to end up with a guitar that sounds good unplugged because the guitar won't sound good unplugged.

So threadstarter... If you are fine with the idea of having a guitar that might sound good plugged in but will not sound good unplugged then go for it. If you want to play unplugged then don't do it.
And Cord pwns once again
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by CorduroyEW
^and my point is that by adding one you ruin the acoustic properties of the guitar. When you come in and say it will sound good plugged in and unpluged I feel the need to let people know that you have no clue what you are talking about.

Read my posts - where do I say "it will sound good unplugged" (oh it's "unplugged", not "unpluged" - if you or your other pathetics think that you can pwn anybody, then you ought to learn how to spell first !)

It would be a shame if somebody mistook you for a person that knows how acoustic guitars work and took your advise expecting to end up with a guitar that sounds good unplugged because the guitar won't sound good unplugged.

I didn't give any advice - How many times do I have to say it - READ THE POSTS !
I answered one question - has a trem been fitted to an acoustic guitar - YES
I also rebuffed you for saying that a Bigsby wouldn't work unplugged - that is all.
Anything else is in your glorious imagination, and in your inflated perception that you know more than anyone else about acoustic guitars.

So threadstarter... If you are fine with the idea of having a guitar that might sound good plugged in but will not sound good unplugged then go for it. If you want to play unplugged then don't do it.

You're incredible. All Sendrith asked was had it been done. He didn't say that he was going to buy, or make one, tomorrow !