I've been looking around for a decent $500 guitar, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to either a Taylor or a Martin. Are there any other brands that are good that I should consider?
oh btw im looking for an electric-acoustic, and this is going to be used mostly for playing at my church
for $500, i wouldn't get a taylor or a martin. i'd look at seagul, takamine, and alvarez.
The Martins and Taylors in that price range aren't real Martins or Taylors. They laminated guitars that are shoddily made, and then have the logo attached to them. They literally fall apart. To get a decent Taylor or Martin with electronics in it, you are look to spend at nearly $1000. Jim has it right...the acoustic electrics from seagull, takamine, alvarez, and yamaha will be your best bet. Whatever you do decide to buy should at least have a solid wood top. The solid top will give you a better sound both today and years from now.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
i want a guitar that can last me almost my lifetime, so would i pretty much have to get into the $1000 price range to do that?
You make it sound like Martin and Taylor are the only companies that can give you an instrument you can enjoy for years. Any of those companies mentioned above can hold their own for 20-30 years. Look on ebay, and you'll see what i mean. THere are a lot of instruments kicking around that are 20-30 years old. If you MUST have a Martin or a Taylor, and you want it to last you a long time, then yes, you would probably need to look to spend at least $1000.

Gear:
Good advice in here, as always. I'd also stay away from Martin and Taylor in this price range, and consider the Ovations to be an acquired taste. I haven't acquired it.

Here's a great deal for you: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Breedlove-Atlas-Series-AC25SR-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=512401V

They refer to it as a "manufacturer's refurbished" item. A $1000 guitar they're selling for $500. Musician's Friend has a decent return policy in case there's something seriously wrong with it. I think it's worth the gamble. I drive a Breedlove. I recommend them to everyone.
I really like that Breedlove model. However, I would be very careful with "refurbished models" if its like B-stock. I had a b-stock guitar where the entire heel was cracked. Still sounded good, but I had to be very, very careful with it. "refurb" might mean that they fix b-stock problems like that. Before you order, just make sure you know the return policy if you're not satisfied.

Gear:
okay, i've sorta narrowed it down to the Martin DXC1E and the Taylor 110. would you guys recommend any of these?
now that i think of it, i'm thinking about a takamine, one of the g series. are any of these worth looking at?
Quote by jrzofclay
okay, i've sorta narrowed it down to the Martin DXC1E and the Taylor 110. would you guys recommend any of these?

Now you're up into the $700 range, and you're still looking at a laminate back. For those two guitars -they're decent products- but you're paying for the name. Big time.

The Takamine EG530SSC boasts a "solid nato" back and sides. I can't tell you much about that wood, but "solid" always sounds better to me. It's also $100 bucks cheaper than the big names. Thing gets great reviews.

But for $750, you can get the Breedlove Atlas Series AD25/SM, with a solid spruce top, and a solid mahogany back. If you can put together $700, scratch out the extra $50 and get this guitar. You will not regret it.
Or look at the higher end Alvarez models. In that price range, you can get the Alvarez MD80 with electronics in it, and the MD80 has a solid englemann spruce top, and solid mahogany backs and sides.

Do you really want a guitar that has "mahogany pattern high pressure laminate textured finish" back and sides?

Gear:
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
dont waste 500 dollars on an acoustic... get an electric..

And you're just retarded. Name an artist, and its likely that they have done several acoustic songs, or even an acoustic album. Nothing like narrow minded people. Acoustic guitar is where your electric originated. In fact, the first electric guitars were hollow.

Gear:
okay so i talked to some people today who have experience and knowledge about guitars, and the bottom line consensus was that either i spend at least $1000 and get a nice guitar than can last me almost my whole life, or i dont get a new guitar at all, or if i do, something decent but that's not $700
Quote by roamingbard13
The Martins and Taylors in that price range aren't real Martins or Taylors. They laminated guitars that are shoddily made, and then have the logo attached to them. They literally fall apart. To get a decent Taylor or Martin with electronics in it, you are look to spend at nearly $1000. Jim has it right...the acoustic electrics from seagull, takamine, alvarez, and yamaha will be your best bet. Whatever you do decide to buy should at least have a solid wood top. The solid top will give you a better sound both today and years from now.

Has anyone had one 'literally fall apart' on them yet? I know they're made of some sh*tty laminate, hell even the neck is some bizarre bondwood but I honestly can't see the back and sides falling apart any sooner than other laminate guitars.
I'd say go for a Tradition Acoustic, or a Yamaha, you'd be getting some quality, as well as saving some cash.

Quote by slatsmania
The Takamine EG530SSC boasts a "solid nato" back and sides. I can't tell you much about that wood, but "solid" always sounds better to me. It's also $100 bucks cheaper than the big names. Thing gets great reviews.

i have that guitar and it's definitely one of the best acoustic-electrics i've ever played in this price range. nato is just another word for mahogany... eastern mahogany to be specific. i think you'll be really hard pressed to find any other guitars in this price range that offer the features that this takamine has. it's definitely one of the best bargains i've ever seen in a guitar. they are also really gorgeous instruments. here's a picture of mine if you're wanting an idea of what they look like (sorry to everybody who has already seen these pictures 1000 times ):

what kind of guitar are you playing now? whether or not you should spend $1000 to upgrade to a new guitar depends on alot of things, including: your current guitar, your skill level, and your financial standing.

also, it's certainly not necessary to buy a taylor or martin to get a guitar that will last you a lifetime. unless you buy a really cheap guitar, any good guitar should last you as long as you want it to. the only exception is that eventually a guitars soundboard can get "played out." look around on eBay and you'll see vintage guitars from nearly every manufacturer, granted some hold up better than others.
Quote by jimtaka
also, it's certainly not necessary to buy a taylor or martin to get a guitar that will last you a lifetime.

I definitely think our young friend is stuck on a name, and nothing is going to persuade him. It's a shame, too, because a guitar like your Tak here probably plays just as nice as the Taylors and Martins that cost twice as much.

Works out to about $600 worth of print on the headstock. Me? I'd rather put my money somewhere else.
^-- hahaha, yeah i agree in part. although that tak doesn't sound, imo, as good as nicer martins and taylors, it sounds damn good for the price tag. i'm all about the most guitar for the money. that's not to say i don't have high end and high priced guitars, but i still say that particular takamine has the most/best options of any guitar in it's price range that i've ever come across. whether i'm investing $300 or $3000 in an instrument, i'm always looking for the absolute best instrument i can get out of my dollars. in the $500-$600 range, i think that's the acoustic-electric to beat.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
dont waste 500 dollars on an acoustic... get an electric..

^stfu n00b^

Now thats cleared up, you wont go wrong with a Takamine G-Series, but you will want to upgrade as you will probably get bored with it eventually (not for a few years if you like them) and Ovation celebs and Applauses are pretty sweet but it all depends if you like them, they are love or hate.

You would be better off saving for a while and getting a Martin/ Taylor/ Breedlove (amazing guitars) but if you cant justify spending $$$$ on a guitar then dont.

Ash
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Personally I am going to have to recommend the brand Timberline. I payed around 600 for mine and could have upgraded to fishman electronics for about 50 bucks more (american that is). They are complete solid body guitars top, back and sides. You get an amazing tone and sound with these babies. Defintly recommend them to anyone on any level.
Its always best to go check em out at a music store if possiable and see what sounds and feels the best to you, I also advise taking along a seasoned guitar player, not for his or her advice on feel, but get their advice on sound, that is how it sounds in front of the guitar and have them play a song or two that you like, and a song or two you don't care for while you listen.....finding the match of feel and sound is hell for me, the ones that feel the best in my arms don't seem to have the sound Im looking for, or, uncomfortable to play but has that sound Im looking for.....

Mike
for my martin i paid 1500 down here in aus, its an acoustic w/ pickups, does the job nicely.

my advice, save alittle longer, youll be better off both short and long term