And how do I find the time to practice all of them?

I basically start off doing chromatics, stretches, string skipping which takes about 45 mins (all of which are from petrucci's video). Then I practice sweeping for half an hour. Move on to scales for a little while, and then I run out of time.

I realised that there's so many exercises that I haven't done. There's scales in thirds, group of four, group of six, etc etc..There's just so much material, and I cant cover them all. By the time I'm done with the exercises that I do everyday, 2 hours has already passed.

Do I just choose the exercises that I feel I could benefit most from and do it everyday, or keep changing the exercises?
Dude, dude, dude... You really don't have to do them ALL right at this point in time! SAy if you made a song and you thought that some kick-ass shreddin' needs to be done, then you practice shreddin' and then you just practice more and more as time goes by... if you feel that some string skipping skills need to be used, practice it then! Don't do everythin' in one go! There's really no point. Just learn the stuff when you feel you NEED to use it. Then it doesn't become a problem. I guess stretches you may need to do often but again, not all the time dude.
do different excersises everyday, have like scales on mondays, sweep picking on tuesdays, chromatic on wednesdays etc.... spread it out
this is my sig. there are many like it, but this is mine.

Brown Sugar
Quote by 2ndslash
do different excersises everyday, have like scales on mondays, sweep picking on tuesdays, chromatic on wednesdays etc.... spread it out

Like body-builders, arms one day, legs the next, followed by chest etc.

Then use Weekends to re-hash on the practicing through the week
*shrugs* I don't know...
I an't believe you guys actually sit down and play scales and stuff for 45 min! That would surely kill me and all interest I have in playing the guitar. Isn't that like making guitarplaying a choir and just killing the fun of it?

Me, I basically just pick up my guitar and jam along with songs I dig or with my mates, and let me tell you, that sure as hell beats doing scaleruns for 45 min :
Last edited by Gustaf at Sep 30, 2006,
Quote by Gustaf
I an't believe you guys actually sit down and play scales and stuff for 45 min! That would surely kill me and all interest I have in playing the guitar. Isn't that like making guitarplaying a choir and just killing the fun of it?

Me, I basically just pick up my guitar and jam along with songs I dig or with my mates, and let me tell you, that sure as hell beats doing scaleruns for 45 min :

Then you're not gonna be a good guitar player. People do them for a reason. TO BE BETTER AS A GUITAR PLAYER! I'm not havin a go btw i'm just sayin lol
Yeah, if you really want to take it to the next level, then you will

A) Figure out your problem areas
B) Figure out what you need to do to fix them
C) Practice the aforementioned a ton
D) Stay determined and not give up, as you know you will end up as a much better guitar player when you're done.
E) Repeat the process to make more progression

Your progression as a guitarist will be much slower if you just play a bunch of songs over and over.
Yeah.. there's so many excercises, and that's why most guitarists never improve how they'd like, or in some imaginary time limit they've given themselves. It's just so overwhelming.

It's overwhelming because most guitarists have the desire to sound good and to be good - the ego.

You take an excercise and practice it hoping you'll improve day by day.. that's not going to happen. It takes time, it takes years and your improvment will be sprea over a long span of time.. when you practice something and you don't improve, your ego doesn't like it because you're not satisfying it.. you're not playing good or sounding good - so you think you're not making progress, discard it and move on to the next excercise to repeat the process over and over again.

What you should do is just take one excercise and say.. 'I'm going to play this for five minutes' and do that. Just give yourself five minutes to practice that one excercise... when you have the mindset of 'Just 5 minutes' you don't get that overwhelming feeling like you have to play X amount of excercises in X amount of time to improve X amount.

You'll find that after 5 minutes.. you'll keep going, 5 turns into 10, 10 turns into 20.. and you'll practice for 2 hours, but won't feel like you have a time limit, you won't be forced to play by your overwhelming desire to sound good. You'll just be playing for the sake of playing.

The key is to take this one piece of material and master it up to the point where you can play it with such effortlessness that it becomes natural, and you don't have to think about it. In essence, 'till the point where that excercise plays itself.

If you do this, you'll come to expect the same kind of mastery and effortlessnes from every other excercise you practice - so everything you do learn, you'll be playing completely and utterly perfect. Every time.

If you're interested in hearing more about how to practice all these excercises and overcome that overwhelming feeling that 'There just isn't enough time!' I urge you to pick up a copy of Kenny Werners Effortless Mastery: Liberating The Master Musician Within and see how that might change your perspective.
Quote by Gustaf

Foolish. You will - if not already - hit a plateau in your playing. You'll never improve more than a certain amount by playing your favorite solo a couple times a day. It's fun, but it won't make you better. Every virtuoso guitarist of today says the same thing: chromatics, scales, string skipping, stretches, repeat. People like Steve Vai and John Petrucci have claimed they started out practicing up to 6 hours a day. Surely you can spare a mere hour and really buckle down and trudge through some scales! otherwise have fun being in the same boat as all too many people who pick up a guitar and never go anywhere with it but a local bar for a show once in their life. not trying to be an asshole here, i'm just saying that's what separates the men from boys buddy. good luck and hope u see the light.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Of course I learn scales, I mean you have to to be able to jam don't you? I just don't see the need to sit down 45 min a day with it, that's all. And my goal is not to play like Vai or Satriani btw.
Quote by Nor'Easterbass
Foolish. You will - if not already - hit a plateau in your playing. You'll never improve more than a certain amount by playing your favorite solo a couple times a day. It's fun, but it won't make you better. Every virtuoso guitarist of today says the same thing: chromatics, scales, string skipping, stretches, repeat. People like Steve Vai and John Petrucci have claimed they started out practicing up to 6 hours a day. Surely you can spare a mere hour and really buckle down and trudge through some scales! otherwise have fun being in the same boat as all too many people who pick up a guitar and never go anywhere with it but a local bar for a show once in their life. not trying to be an asshole here, i'm just saying that's what separates the men from boys buddy. good luck and hope u see the light.

I just have to say it: You are a pretentious asshole. Not everyone wants to be famous and play scales at 200bpm. Different people have different goals. You claim that many guitarists never go anywhere but where have you gone? Also, who says all of these supposed guitarists ever wanted to go anywhere in the first place? You say you are not trying to be an asshole, but you clearly are. I think many guitarists have seen the light and perhaps that doesnt' interest them. As Gustaf said, for some of us, playing like you describe can take the fun out of playing. This may not apply to the threadstarter, but people like yourself should be put in their place. Thank you.
^ That's what I was trying to say. I'm not interested in playing shred-style solos, I'm pretty satisfied playing the blues and the blues based rock I'm playing at the moment and I see no need for tapping, sweeping and such techniques in this type of music.
Quote by Gustaf
^ That's what I was trying to say. I'm not interested in playing shred-style solos, I'm pretty satisfied playing the blues and the blues based rock I'm playing at the moment and I see no need for tapping, sweeping and such techniques in this type of music.

Yeah, I'm the same way.
Quote by Jaykib

Like body-builders, arms one day, legs the next, followed by chest etc.

Then use Weekends to re-hash on the practicing through the week

Personally, I think it would be several times more effective to just practise everything for a shorter amount of time each day, then to practise it for a long time but only 2 times a week.

How does it differ from body building? Well, a weight lifter would where out his body if he just kept doing the same excersise throughout the week.

You practise guitar excersizes so you remember how to play them perfectly. Guitar is a much more a mental stretch than a physical one.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.