ok
so i just joined a band.
we play metalcore.
but heres the thing.

we can play a bunch of songs by as i lay dying and stuff like that

but we have no clue on writing music.

so do we just have to like make it up and ear it out?

or is there like a guide to writing metal?

?
Yes, Check out the Hold my hand rules and guides to writing metal.

On a serious note. Theres no rules to writing metal or any music for a matter of fact so you just need to work it out on your own, listen to a lot of metalcore music and look at the different techniques used in the music for different sections, and the arrangements used. Than just ear it out start making arrangements.
yeah dude just come up with ideas and try to make songs out of them, youll get it eventually, it just takes practice.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I believe the term "noodling" might help. Make up a riff, then start building, get a chord structure, write an intro, add lyrics, break it down into verse/chorus, add a mind-bending light-speed solo, and you're all set. Do it a bunch more times and release a cd...
Resident Melbournian of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join. Australians only.
Quote by take_it_t
Yes, Check out the Hold my hand rules and guides to writing metal.

On a serious note. Theres no rules to writing metal or any music for a matter of fact so you just need to work it out on your own, listen to a lot of metalcore music and look at the different techniques used in the music for different sections, and the arrangements used. Than just ear it out start making arrangements.

I agree. Listen to a lot of metalcore, and after awhile, you'll hear certain songwriting strategies that your favorite bands use. You can use them to start writing songs. Just make sure you put your own twist on them, so you can't get sued over copyright infringement.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton