Right now I'm playing a G&L Tribute L2500, and I'd like to go back to a 4 string

The basses I'm looking at right now are;

Fender "Geddy Lee" Jazz bass (999)
Gibson Thunderbird IV (1499) *Amazing deal, they list at 2699*
Lakland 4401 Deluxe (1275 taxes in + my bass as a trade in)

There have been very few Ibanez's that I've liked, same goes for Yamaha

I play alot of rock and blues, sometimes with a bit more of a jazzy feel.
Any recomendations? As of right now I'm leaning towards the Gibson since the fit is nice and it seems well set up.
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
You should do a poll... I'd go for the geddy lee bass
haha...
Quote by mong12345
playtypus you save the day again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
id go w/ the gibson thunderbird i have the epi version and its amazing so i bet the gibson version is even better
Hmm, out of that list i would go with the geddy. I've never much like the Gibson basses. Their guitars are to die for, but the basses....meh.

Geddy all the way.
If you need to trade in your G&L for the Lakland, then go with the Geddy. Unless you just plain don't like the G&L, it would probably be worth it to have a fiver around.

The Geddy would sound great for the kind of music you play, too. I'm not sure about the T-bird.
I'm not keeping the G&L regardless

Thats up for sale
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
1. Lakland
2. Geddy Lee
3. T-Bird
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Lakland for sure, ive got one, albeit a skyline and its awesome
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
1499 + tax brand new

I'm liking the Gibson though, I havn't played a Geddy and if I wait to long on the Gibson, it'll probably be gone...
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
if you are looking for a "shred" type of bass, i would say yamaha gives pretty awesome basses with almost perfect feel for fast playing. If you are going to buying a 6 string one day, consider a RBX-JM2 john myung sig, it has pretty damn good playability. But since you're into 4 stringers right now, check out billy sheehans yamaha attitude bass or try out some RBXs, theyre pretty good.
haha...
Quote by mong12345
playtypus you save the day again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not a big fan of Ibanez and Yamaha
And I'm not looking for a shred bass, I don't play metal
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Does anyone here own a Gibson Thunderbird?

I'm also looking at the Studio version which is like 1099 + tax
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
If you know you want the T-bird then what is the point of this thread ...

Personally I don't much care for them. Even though it may look cool a bass should be more about playability and on the T-bird you can't really get passed the 9th fret with ease... but thats just my 2cents
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
I'm really curious about the Geddy Lee

The shop has a new one coming in on Thursday...
Is the neck much thinner compared to the normal Jazz bass's?
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
It all depends on what kind of sound you want. The T-Bird is just a growl monster--good for metal. If you want a more refined sound, I'd say to go with an Ibanez.
Okay

I'm going to try and convince the sales guy to hold the Gibson until Thursday when they get the Geddy in

But I'm wondering, is there a major difference between the Thunderbird IV and the Studio?
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Quote by Apok
Okay

I'm going to try and convince the sales guy to hold the Gibson until Thursday when they get the Geddy in

But I'm wondering, is there a major difference between the Thunderbird IV and the Studio?

Studio basses (and guitars) are usually made with plastic (external. The gears a usually metal, although I have seen some ibanez's that were pure plastic) tuners, knobs and sometimes bridges (including saddles). They are for studio work, not live performance, because when they get under hot lights they will tend to detune quicker than normal.

From my experiance, the T-bird is terrible bass guitar, and I strongly suggest you play it and compare it to the others before buying.
Quote by elemenohpee
From my experiance, the T-bird is terrible bass guitar, and I strongly suggest you play it and compare it to the others before buying.

Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
What is it about the Thunderbirds then

I played it and really liked it, so what is it I have to look out for?
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Lakland
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
geddy lee +1,000,000
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Id say t bird you can get a lot of tones out of it plus gibson is one of the best manufacturers out there. ebony color btw
^

1) Gibson is (arguably, i disagree on a lot of points) a good GUITAR company, not nearly as much in bass.

2) You really cant get as versatile a sound as you could with the geddy lee, and im sure of that

3) I truly think you ARE a "nub" if A) you talk like that B) you suggested wrong with bad opinions C) You double posted D) You could get banned instantly and forever now that you ADMITTED this is a second account
Quote by mangablade
^

1) Gibson is (arguably, i disagree on a lot of points) a good GUITAR company, not nearly as much in bass.

2) You really cant get as versatile a sound as you could with the geddy lee, and im sure of that

3) I truly think you ARE a "nub" if A) you talk like that B) you suggested wrong with bad opinions C) You double posted D) You could get banned instantly and forever now that you ADMITTED this is a second account

1) i talk the way i want 2)u hate gibson cuz u cant afford 3) it was an accident 4)its non yo biz 5)ibanez is ugly as ****
ummm I am gunna side with mangablade on this one... mystery calm down there and don't go trashing peoples opinions... (he didn't say he hated Gibson)
PM me or timmEH to join

PM Dinky to join

PM me to join
Quote by *mystery*
1) i talk the way i want 2)u hate gibson cuz u cant afford 3) it was an accident 4)its non yo biz 5)ibanez is ugly as ****

LOL.

Anyway.. "u hate gibson cuz u cant afford" So why do many top bassists NOT play gibson basses. Give up? Because they're considered one of the most unversatile basses around, they have one, growly, thick tone and nothing else. (I personally like the tone, but as said, it's not versatile) where as with a geddy lee with two J pickups you can get from thick and growly, to high and tinny if you want. My vote goes to the geddy.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by *mystery*

1) i can afford gibson 2) i have played gibson 3) i will never buy gibson
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
I couldn't get the money fast enough, so the Thunderbird is off hold...

So there's a few other basses I'm looking at,

Fender Jazz Classic
Geddy Lee
Fender Jaguar

Also, does anyone know the retail on those bases? The Geddy Lee sells for 999 locally
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah